Am i the only 2G Iphone owner not changing to 3g now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Antj29, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Antj29 macrumors member

ok, after todays debacle, i took some calls on my iphone, had a play on the wireless itunes store and also watched a vid. I then realised that the phone was great already and that really i don't need the new 3g one so badly i have to have it on Friday. So i am simply going to hold off and just upgrade the software to Iphone 2.0 on Friday when its out. Then hang on till the 32gb version turns up

It feels like a revelation, but i feel good now i have suddenly realised i don't need that 3g like Apples hype tells me i do. anybody feel the same and also feel we all get hyped up so much to buy the things that Apple shove in front of us we then become totally focused and do not put these things in perspective. IE my current Iphone does all i want it to, just becuase there is a faster one does'nt mean i need to buy it. Anyone else??????????????:confused:

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Great story ;) but this has already been posted!

3. eddietr macrumors 6502a

I have to admit, I'm not that excited about this model. I may get it, just because of the GPS. But I doubt I will wait in line or anything. I did wait in line for the first iPhone, because that was exciting. But this time I'd be fine waiting until some quiet time a couple weekends from now.

I would be really looking forward to Friday if the magicians had figured out a way to make the phone a bit thinner.

4. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

There is nothing wrong with the thickness on the 3G!

5. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I am with you...

My v1 iPhone is less than a month old, and I also have no plans to upgrade. I will go in and play with the 3G model, but at this point I see no compelling reason to upgrade.

Besides, I am getting faster speeds on EDGE than I am using WiFi, so quite happy all around with my current phone. Maybe by the time I need another iPhone, Apple engineers will have figured out a way to get the same functionality in an aluminum model that they have managed to harness in the plastic 3G phone.

Jude

6. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

if yours was purchased at Apple or AT&T after May 31st 08 don;t u upgrade for free? I mean if that applies to you wouldnt u do that

7. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Yep my feelings exactly. Plus I'm in Australia and have been using one for over 6 months to the envy of everyone else but more to the point loving it myself, and its just fine. Plus being unlocked I'm on the best & cheapest plan I can find - whereas buying a new 3G iPhone would lock me onto some ridiculously overpriced plan for two years.

doobs

Oh and come on. Who cares. People like you just annoy me.

8. isimon1207 macrumors member

um I'm not switching either. Im no where near a 3g area and the new features are not enough to switch (what's the point of having gps if you don't get turn by turn directions). What I'm really excited about is the app store. I don't get why people are making a big deal about getting the new iPhone early, I'm just waiting for the 2.0 software.

9. Antj29 thread starter macrumors member

cheers, yeah as soon as the threads not about payasyougo iphone or when are you queuing there not interested. i did search but failed to find any posts on people holding off. So just voicing my opinions really. thanks again for support

10. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Thats why i winked at you! ;);););););)

11. doobi18 macrumors 6502

You've obviously missed the point of this then.

I don't say to myself "hmm I feel like posting in a forum about not upgrading my iPhone, I'll go do a search and see which thread I should post in".

I looked at Forum Spy and clicked on this because it interested me.

cough

12. knelto macrumors regular

It would've been very hard to justify upgrading had I not pretty much destroyed my 2G iPhone trying to replace the cracked glass a few weeks ago. But seeing as I'm in the market for a new phone and the 3G version is being released I don't see why I shouldn't upgrade!

13. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Ahh Ok do you need some cough syrup i can run and get some for you :)

14. todd11231 macrumors newbie

Im really disappointed with the second gen iPhone. Im not upgrading. I have enough of a brain to figure out where im at with google maps, so GPS is no big deal and 90 percent of my internet use is at work where i get Wifi...sooo. Now if I used edge/3G more i MAY....MAY upgrade...but then not for the new rate plans.

15. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Naa I've already got some. Cheers.

Well, there's my dose of morning conflict

:)

16. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

Morning?!?! AHh ok Mate !

17. Antj29 thread starter macrumors member

thats also my problem as i have a 3 week old iphone as i dropped my last one into the toilet, ( i kid you not) so insurance gave me a new one, and i just prefer the metal to the plastic

18. doobi18 macrumors 6502

Fine, a bit more.

Yes. I know. It may seem extremely chocking too you, but people outside of the US have the internets too!

19. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

I didnt know that! I just learned today Apple has stores outside of the US ;)

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you're not. I'm not upgrading simply because I don't quite long for 3G.

21. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

No, it was a private sale, but even if that were the case, I don't think that I would upgrade. I simply love the elegance of this model, and I cannot imagine that the plastic being remotely comparable, aesthetically.

I am a girl, so for the same reasons I wear high heels over flats, is the same reason I will take the stunning good looks of v1 over the increased functionality of the (IMHO) unattractive plastic:)

Jude

22. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Ditto! I have a one month old 16GB ( replaced last month under warranty), that I will update to 2.0!

Way to put down the Apple Kool-aid, and walk away from the long lines on Friday.

23. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm not upgrading yet. Perhaps in the future. Despite all the naysayers who said I'd be riddled with buyer's remorse when I got my iPhone a few months ago, I'm simply not.

24. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Here are the mundane reasons that I will be there Friday at 8AM.

Flush headphone jack (I'm an audiophile with quality IEM's that will never be seen using an 'adapter')
    Extended 2G battery life.
    aGPS (I've had some personal nightmares with 'Locate Me')
    My v1 is beat up. I want NEW & SLEEK!

25. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

your not alone

I see no need for 3G and I See no need to rush and get every new iphone that comes out.... my version 1 iphone never had a problem has a perfect screen....not giving that up!