Am I the only iPhone owner slightly miffed about the new iPod touch...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tangledweb16, Sep 9, 2008.

1. tangledweb16 macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I mean, it's cool and all, and I'm sure it's going to sell like hotcakes, but it just seems like Apple is giving people to many reasons not to buy the iPhone.

External volume controls? Check. Speaker? Check. Mic headset for WiFi calls (from App Store)? Check.

I understand that I am naturally biased, being an iPhone owner since before the original touch came out, but it just seems that all those things that made the iPhone, well... the iPhone, are pretty much gone now. Especially the Mic headset. Why, may I ask, is that necessary for an iPod? And why is the iPod getting a better version than the iPhone?!? I want those 79$ in-ear headphones too!

And I know that the mic will still work, but the triple click to go back probably won't, and the volume controls probably won't, and that kind of pisses me off. The iPod touch has external volume controls now. It doesn't need the volume controls on the headphones any more than the iPhone does.

To be honest, I felt that Apple was moving towards convergent devices (iPhone) instead of stand alone ones. I knew that the iPods would be around for several more years, but I really thought that they would start phasing them out, but apparently they feel it necessary to give them even better features than the more expensive (without subsidy) iPhone.

Now I realize that I'm probably being all high and mighty about this, and maybe stuck-up, but I feel that I have at least some reason to be. I can't be alone on this.

iPhone users, chime in!

2. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I just don't see it...

Why spend so much for the Touch when you get a phone for $199! Just don't get it.

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Own iPhone 3g and an iPod nano, 1st gen, not a touch... What do I think about the upgrades? Great. Good for them. Why should I care? Did my product just get worse? Nope.

4. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

What is wrong with the features that the iPod touch is getting?

No moron is going to pick an iPod touch when he has the ability to get an iPhone.

Hell, I live in the midwest, so there simply IS NOT AT&T service out here, so the only way to get the iPhone experience is to get an iPod touch. New headphones (which don't come bundled with the iPod, nor the new mic'd ones), great! But that doesn't mean you as an iPhone user can't have them.

A speaker? Well, makes sense if Apple is going to market this as a gaming device. It simply makes more sense to play with a speaker to hear instead of headphones. External volume controls? Simply makes sense to me. It can be a bit inconvenient to pull my iPod touch out of my pocket, unlock it, and then adjust volume, so the ability to simply reach in my pocket and press a button simply makes sense.

The thing you fail to realize is that the iPod touch can never ever be an iPhone, and that is for two simple reasons, the touch doesn't have a 3G connection, nor does it make phone calls.

So, get of you bitch pedestal and be happy that by offering more features to the customers that choose not to/cannot get and iPhone, Apple will bring in more money, generate more satisfied customers, and grow as a corporation.

/thread

5. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Well.... it absolutely adds up after two years.

It's worth it for me, because I love being connected to the internet 24/7 without turning on WiFi every time I'm near a hotspot. I owned the first gen. touch, and the limitations of WiFi really got to me after owning an iPhone.

But that wasn't my point.

6. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

Exactly! I hope Apple comes out with an iPod Touch 2, 3, 4, and/or 5 that is almost exactly like existing products, but maybe slightly different. Who cares? The more choices I get, the better!
    As he said, Apple didn't take away any functionality from my phone. It's still the same phone I bought a couple of months ago, and love (and hate at times thanks to AT&T... hope 2.1 helps!). Anyway, why be miffed?

7. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Actually, as I stated in my original post, the touch CAN make phone calls, and will here very soon. And with the mic headset, it makes it very, very easy to do so. No physical hacking/bulky add ons.

Apple itself stated that they would allow VOIP calling over WiFi through the App Store for the iPod touch.

And thanks for being a prick.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm not troubled by the the iPod Touch upgrades at all.

9. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

I decided to register to post my thoughts on this (I've been lurking for a while, but never got around to registering).

I really don't care too much about the features the Touch is getting. If it helps Apple sell more, that's fine. The only thing that's getting me slightly PO'd is the fact that Apple released 2.1 for the Touch before the iPhone. I'm not sure if there is any main reason behind this (maybe they are still working out a few bugs), but I would be incredibly pissed if it was working fine for iPhone, yet they just decided to wait to release it.

10. jk000 macrumors regular

jk000

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I heard that in version 3 of the touch they are going to include gps, a camera and a phone ;)

But seriously though ... Who cares how similar the touch is ..... It's NOT a phone!!! If you need a phone your not going to buy a Touch. If you don't need a phone you can buy a Touch. I'm not really sure why or what your complaining about.

:)

12. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

And this is precisely why my next phone will be an iPod touch.

I simply don't want the huge bill. The only thing keeping me from ditching my iPhone as it is for an iPod touch is the camera, really. I take lots of pictures (mind you, it's not photography - just casual snaps and such with friends). I love my iPhone, but covet the thinness of the touch. Hopefully by the time my iPhone is obsolete WiFi will be nearly universally available - but if Apple keeps handing out these insanely expensive plans, but I'm not willing to pay that much more for occasional non-WiFi areas. I think eventually the phone per se will become obsolete, since something like the touch has all of its functionality. Hell, I can see a time in the not too distant future when someone can use an iPod touch as their only computer.

Anyway, what's up with the new Touch? It doesn't look nearly as good as the older one.

13. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

I really don't think I;d be complaining if they hadn't made new earbuds with mics built in that aren't listed to work with the iPhone.

It just seems.... pointless and almost insulting to iPhone owners. Why do you need a mic!?! The new earbuds already got volume controls, why a mic when all you can do is voice recording?

But, as it turns out, that's not all you can do. Soon there will be apps available that do VOIP calling over WiFi, and that, in my opinion, is seriously encroaching upon the iPhones space.

I say again.... why a mic?!?! And why can't they work with the iPhone!?!

14. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Maybe not an iPhone, but it would take next to no work to turn it into a VOIP phone. Which I would do for sure if I lived on campus, for instance. With 24/7 Wi-Fi access, it would be a great alternative for someone looking to save money by not paying a horrendously expensive contract with a horrible provider (AT&T).

15. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I don't think the iPod touch "upgrade" is anything to get excited about, and it certainly doesn't change the fact that the touch is worthless (IMO) without wifi.

Actually, I plan on selling my 1gen touch and buying the new one, just for the speaker - my wife is using my touch now that I have an iPhone, but we've got a few educational apps for our 15-month-old son that really need a speaker (animal sounds, etc) ... It'll be nice to not have to grab my phone every time he wants to play one of his games - my wife's iPod is usually on the nightstand at night, and it'll be nice to be able to just grab it instead. :D

16. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Exactly! I'm paying a lot for the iPhone, and Apple cheapens that with the iPod touch.

Sorry for the double post, but you nailed it on the head. That's why I'm annoyed.

17. saxman macrumors 6502

I'm not upset. My iPhone works the same as it did yesterday. Then again, my primary iPod is a 3rd generation one and my main computer is a 12" powerbook. I still use them because they work for me, not because they're the latest and greatest

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea I agree with you on this point. If the new earphones worked with the iPhone, I'd buy a set today. Not really sure why they did that.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You are aware that the Touch is just an iPhone without the phone. Why would they not be similar?

20. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Well, it wasn't before this update, and like I've said five times, it really is barely "without the phone" this time around. You're no paying for a plan, true, but you don't need a plan with VOIP and the new headphones.

That work only on the iPod touch.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Does AT&T have any say over what Apple can allow with VOIP. It would seem to be skirting the contract. What good will the new headphones do if you need to make a phone call?

22. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

AT&T will not allow VOIP over EDGE/3G through the App Store, but Apple has stated that they will allow VOIP over WiFi through the App Store.

23. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Yes.

You and maybe 3 people are miffed at this.

The rest of us are using our iPhones to, you know, phone people.

(unlike the iTouch.)

24. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Easy. Not everyone can (or want to) switch to AT&T.

25. tangledweb16 thread starter macrumors regular

tangledweb16

Soon enough that will change.