Am I the only one not excited about the MBP refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nishishei, Oct 9, 2008.

1. nishishei macrumors regular

I just spent an hour typing on my friend's MBA. I found the MBA keyboard really annoying to use, it had that click that makes the whole computer feel fragile. Also, I realized that I'm not very precise on landing my fingers when I type fast; on the MBA my fingers would often hit the empty space between the keys. For example, in typing "reason" on my Macbook Pro, I essentially press down R-E-A simultaneously and just gently slide my hand towards the left, and voila "rea" gets typed in an instant. Think of it as similar to legato on the piano. But I have trouble doing that on the MBA keyboard. I don't actually press down and lift each finger.

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

The PowerBook/MBP keyboard is some of the best that I have used. I hate the MB/MBA ones. If the new machines all have these keyboards, then it would be truly to make them look different vs. more functional.

3. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

What I mean is that the new MBP (from the pics) will probably have an identical keyboard to the MBA's. And I personally think it's kind of an annoying keyboard to type on. I bet the price of current generation used MBPs will stay high from people who aren't too fond of the chiclet keyboard.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

um not to be mean, but learn to type? You obviously dont have great form if your managing to hit the space between keys instead of the much larger keys.

Slow down and get used to it, then im sure youll have no problem.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

No, although it has nothing to do with the keyboard. I bought a MBP about 16 months ago. It has had very limited issues. I don't have $2000 to drop on a new one. My notebook is already aluminum, so the big "oooohs" about the MacBook getting an aluminum case kinda brush right off.

About the only thing I care about is seeing Apple cut the prices a bit and adding Blu-ray. Once they add BD, then people will be able to make a Mac version of HandBrake that does HD.

6. iphonematt Guest

The only reason I am not excited is that my MacBook Pro that I have only had since June will be outdated... oh well. Other than that I am excited and can't wait to see what Steve has up his sleeve.

7. hanzhimeng macrumors newbie

Well, this is the only thing that makes me want the weekend to go faster.:rolleyes:

8. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'm not at all excited. Just... interested... to see the outcome. I'm sure it will have the same obsession with thinness at the cost of performance, it will have VERY poor graphics for something that has a "Pro" in its title, it will be very hot, because it's so thin, and it will still be insanely overpriced.

You guys asked for it. ;)

9. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I can't wait.

I decided to buy my first mac (MBP) in early August and I am so glad I waited.

About the keyboard...I love the feel and look of it, but it does take some getting used to. I visited some relatives who had two new iMacs with the chicklet keyboards, and I was only typing accurately at the end of my stay (about five days later).

10. vixapphire macrumors 6502

personally, i've been waiting for 16-core CPUs in the laptops. until those arrive, color me underwhelmed...

11. heron88 macrumors 6502

im with you

i just got my pro about a month ago and im very happy with it

nothing they can change externally will make it better

quad core would be nice though lol

12. nishishei thread starter macrumors regular

Oh that's what I meant to.. I have a one year old MBP, that's why all the hype on this new MBP seems so strange to me. It doesn't look like there will be any radical changes besides the new keyboard. I understand the hype for the Macbook, but the new MBP seems like change for change sakes. The battery life and performance of Montevina will be incremental (and I bet unnoticeable in real life use) to the Penryn Santa Rosa. The weirdness of the new keyboard just nails the coffin for me.

When is Apple going to come out with a tablet (convertible)?

13. Habusho macrumors 6502

I'm waiting for 32 core ones. I'll let you know in 4 years when they come out.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

well looking at your sig you have reason to be content.

Im personally on a toshiba, cant wait to finally dive into osx

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I am anxious to see what are going to be the new ones that will add another flavor to the :apple: portables .macbook and macbook pro lines, I think they will be called :apple: mobile to match with mobileMe and when you buy it you get the 1st year of service included, so you are hook into it.

17. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

Updates will always be incremental. Even if they had Technology X v.2 perfected, they'd roll out v.1 first, just so they could sell you version 2. I realize there are instances that buck this trend (i.e. the release of g4 after g3, intel, etc). Of course, I'm also still rolling with my g4 tower from 2000, so I tend to hold on longer than most! :)

That said, i'm excited to see what the new computers look like, what this lower price point means, etc. but i specifically bought my MBP (3 weeks ago today) so that i could get in on what i figured was the last rev with the existing MBP keyboard. I'm sure the chiclets are fine, but it's not what i wanted. That and i wanted a free ipod.

/b

18. azharc macrumors member

Geeze some of you guys are so rude to the OP...

I'd half-agree, of course I'm curious to see what Apple is gonna come out with. However, I just bought my MBP two months ago (this is the time when the new MBPs were supposed to come out early September) and absolutely love it. So I'm definitely not looking to upgrade.

And like you I prefer the MBP's keyboard to the chicklet keyboard (which I use on a daily basis at the college comp labs). Of course one can get used to it, but I like the current one better. It's not a crime.

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

I had the same problem when I started using the wireless keyboard that is included with a Mac Mini "pack". It took me about a day to get used to it because I had been using an ergonomic keyboard until I got this keyboard. Different keyboards are harder to type on if you're not used to the key placements because you have used a different keyboard. "Muscle memory" is a very important factor for some people.

I am very excited about the new Macbook/Macbook Pro/Macbook Air models should they be released. I've been waiting for months and I am so ready.

20. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The best mac keyboard I ever used is the Mac Plus one, since that one the keys feeling has been variating all over, from cheap ala PC clone to the iPhone 'sound' feedback, the Blackberry Storm seems to introduce a new type of touch screen feel... Anyway I wish the new macs have a keys that I can feel a nice response when I'm typing like it was with the Mac Plus keyboard.
    I am refering to the keys response not to how they look.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is nice to read a thread that is not full of wild anticipation about the proposed updates. That said, I'm also with the majority of posters who like the keyboard of the current MBP - it really is a pleasure to work with. I'm happy with my MBP and will smile at the excitement over the incremental changes which will be unveiled to the MBP next week (the MB is a different matter); of course, if I'm wrong, - and major changes are on the cards - then, my words will have to be eaten.
    Cheers

22. Bwilky macrumors regular

Of course it's going to be weird to type on a keyboard you've never typed on. If your so used to a certain keyboard you need time to adjust to a new one. I'm sure Apple wouldn't release the MBP if the keyboard was that bad.

23. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

this two tone nonsense is lowering my excitement.

24. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I went from a PowerBook to a MacBook to a MacBook Pro and I gave the MB keyboard a chance and just didn't like it. I usually tend to upgrade my Macs when a newer one comes out but if the new MBP has that style keyboard there's little chance of me doing it - especially if its black like the Air - I really don't like the 2-tone look.