Am I the only one not impressed?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JimMacFan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. JimMacFan macrumors regular

I see alot of people ditching IPAD 1 to Upgrade to version 2. I really don't see the need to. I understand the love the upgrade....I suffer from that bug. I just don't see the benefit for me now. Also, I like the current black cover, I feel like it offers more protection.....the new cover seems flimsy (haven't actually handled it yet).

Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Jim

2. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Nope, looks lke everyone else upgraded already to the iPad 2. :p

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

Silly to criticize the iPad 2 over an accessory, you can use whatever cover you like, and there are many that will be rolling out.

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

In general use the iPad 2 doesn't actually feel much different than the 1 other than the physical size. The covers are poorly designed because the magnet won't hold it if you flap it all the way back under the iPad, it has to be folded into a triangle which is a bit cumbersome.

5. Greg M macrumors 6502

Thank you! I was considering going to best buy to buy one of those covers today but after your comments I'll use the $40 towards something different.

6. OSMac, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

OSMac macrumors 65816

4.3 is a nice upgrade for the original, web browsing is much better.

Looking at iPad 2 videos it's a clear step up for browsing again.
    App loading speed and enhanced game graphic detail also much beter.

Is it worth $250 more ?

That's a personal choice but judging by the lines and iPad forsale ads,
    most think it is.

7. marcus4m macrumors newbie

probably

Nothing wrong with the 1st ipad, but I keep hearing people bashing the improvements to ipad 2 as being not enough. I am not an apple fanatic, but I think some of the changes are significant. Finally it has a camera, and facetime and photo booth should be cool. The processor is improved, graphics capability is much improved. People that have reviewed it say it is easier to handle with reduced size and weight, that applications open much faster, and that web browsing is better.

But the bottom line is this. If you own a first gen, it still rocks! Most of us can't afford to go out every year and update our computers/gadgets:)/tv's/cars. When I take my 5 year old car to the shop, and I get a new loaner I briefly want to trade up, but then I go back to driving my old car, realize that it still runs great and you forget about the new and shiny and enjoy what you have!

Wait until 3 comes out and then you can show off your new and shiny to everybody still holding on to a 2!

8. Casadeboma macrumors newbie

Jim,

The iPad 2 is a strong upgrade. Not a amazing but strong. Strong enough for a huge line to develop in my small town Best Buy. The magnetic cover actually is really good. It surprised me. Its more functional as a stand than the original apple case. I also really like the waking feature it brings to the table. However I will be looking for something to cover the back for sure.

The only risk you have with keeping the iPad 1 is that developers will start concentrating on the iPad 2 eventually making the iPad 1 feel slow and obsolete. I stick with my iphones for 2 years and then upgrade. I always feel behind the last year or so when I start noticing my phone not being as snappy as before. A good example of this is The Daily app. It kills on my iPad 2, feels sluggish on the 1.

If you can wait it out you know next year we get the Retina display God Willing and cameras better than the iphone 4's. We can only hope...:)

RR

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm wondering if this gets better as the cover breaks in?

Initially, the magnets in my gray poly cover would not keep it attached to the back, when the iPad was open.

Now, a few hours later, the magnet will hold the cover to the back, but if the cover jostles around too much, the magnet detaches.

My cover just seems like it's not quite flexible enough yet, and that "not flex" looks to pull it away from the iPad when the iPad is open (and the cover is flapped around the back).

10. Mac-converted macrumors newbie

I generally love to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, but this time I decided to keep the Ipad that I have used for the last year, which is certainly not out of date or obsolete date just because a new and improved version came out.
    As I read these posts of all those now criticizing the original Ipad, I chuckle to myself.
    I am not in such a hurry that I worry about the occasional checkered screen when surfing. Seems to work just fine as it always did.

And my Ipad doesn't seem to be too heavy to hold either. It never was. Imagine that.
    Don't get me wrong because if I could have sold my Ipad and got enough to buy a new one, I would have, but even though money is not an issue, I just don't see the value of spending another $200 for basically a slightly improved version of what I have now. The only downside it that I know that Apple will stop supporting the older Ipad when the Ipad 3 comes out, so I'll be forced to sell mine and upgrade, or get stuck with a device that won't run the latest upgrade. That's life..

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have one of the leather ones and the magnet does hold it when flipped around to the back. Not super strong, but it does hold.

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Well I told my wife last night that she would be real proud of me. For some reason I really haven't caught the dreaded upgrade bug this time. I'm perfectly happy with my iPad 1 and won't be upgrading to the 2. I told her though that I probably would upgrade next year and at that point she could have my 1 :).

13. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

The fact that you made a post shows that you are upset that a "new" product had now made your iPad 1 inferior. Understand, your iPad 1 is now NOT THE BEST! it's 2nd rate! Get over and move on with your life. Stop trying to devalue a better product! No matter what you say, the iPad 2 is literally BETTER than your 1. Move on.

14. FrancoRumors, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Everything about it is better. How much better? I don't know - but in general everything from 1 day of use makes me go, "Thank god I waited in line for 5 hours yesterday".

I think it is hard to be impressed with an iPad or its cover without actually touching it. Goto an apple store if you can and demo it.

I would compare the cover to a woman's bra. The old one was functional and protected the iPad from the world but no one got to enjoy the goods. Its would be the bra your grandma wears. The new cover lets loose a little bit. Don't be afraid to show some skin. Let that iPad 2 out of the closet...just make sure you protect your screen, it's fragile.

Just go buy an iPad 2 and a cover. You'll feel better.

15. connoisseur macrumors member

I will upgrade to the new one if I can sell my original for a respectable price
    Other than that I'm not taking a lost for minor enhancements

16. GDF macrumors regular

I like everything about the new iPad, except for the fact that when web browsing and scrolling down the page, the checkers still show up until the page loads. This should be instantaneous, just like loading a web page is on my macbook air or any other laptop.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Honestly, I was on the fence but wanted to satisfy my curiosity anyway so bought one. I'm no longer on the fence.

Forget about whatever extra features the new iPad has, they are all rather minimal (until Apple announces iOS5 which will likely have features not available to the original iPad, in true Apple fashion). What impresses me about the iPad2 is the way if feels in my hand and the lower weight. When I pick up my original iPad now it feels like a 2 ton boulder.

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I don't have a need to upgrade, and in fact, probably shouldn't.

But frankly, I'd really like the extra speed and ram when multi tasking and all that jazz, so I probably will upgrade at somepoint.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Yeah, same here. Product red leather and the case does stick to the back when open, but it's a very light connection. I like the smart cover a lot.

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I upgraded (had the original ipad since launch, and used it heavily)and it's a big difference. Safari feels snappier, pages seem to load/display faster. In fact all the apps seem to load faster.

I would compare the difference like this: it is like the original iPad has a hard drive while the iPad 2 has an SSD.

This alone makes a big difference.

The size and weight also make a diffence, especially the thinness. Feels better to hold.

21. JimMacFan thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I hope your not like this in real life and it's just your persona on internet forums.

Jim

22. JimMacFan thread starter macrumors regular

Good point...forgot to realize that developers will start to take advantage of the better specs. Now you have me thinking.......:confused: :)

23. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Maybe she was hoping to get your ipad 1 this year. :rolleyes:

24. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

There is a lot of emphasis here about upgrading and how it may or may not be worth it, but there are a lot of people like myself that are getting an iPad for the first time. For those of us that haven't had one for a year now, there is no sense of being underwhelmed by spec and design upgrades. Satisfaction is all relative at this point.

For the record, I really like the smart cover so far. The poly cover feels much nicer than I thought it would. I love the fact that it sleeps and wakes the device. I've only seen the lock screen twice in 8 hours of use.

25. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I really like the iPad 2. All in all, I'm happy I upgraded. It is faster! I'm really excited about the potential of future games, and everything currently on the iPad runs faster. Not a huge upgrade persay, but I believe that it was substantial enough to notice a difference. I really like the Smart Cover. It comes off and on very easily. Personally, the only thing I worry about on my iPad is the screen because if I drop it i am probably screwed anyway. I keep it in a sleeve for travel but I may get a skin to protect the back.