Am I the only one who DOES NOT hate AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsice19, Jul 25, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I was just sitting at my desk, and I was thinking about how everyone on these forums like to hate AT&T because the don't get good service, and they have dropped calls, etc;

But honestly I can say that I don't hate AT&T. I always have bars and my calls are never dropped. Everywhere I go. (I live on the E. Coast)

So, seriously, what's the big deal with hating on AT&T? Would anything really be better with another company? :rolleyes: :confused:

2. viggen61 macrumors 6502

I'm with you. I haven't had AT&T for long (about 3 months with a GoPhone, and < 48 hours with the iPhone...), but I get better reception at my home than I ever got with T-Mobile. I'm hoping it stays that way.

And I called my Mom last night, and the call clarity (3G) was better than any cell or cordless phone I've had.

Likely not. There would just be different groups hating or liking their carrier! :D

:apple::apple:

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You're not the only one, you're just the only one who typically takes time to post so. :p

But I agree. If Apple went exclusive with any carrier there would be angry people, if only because 1) there is no carrier that offers perfect reception EVERYWHERE, and 2) there's always some other carrier that offers a better rate plan (or at least appears to).

4. rust.puppet macrumors regular

i agree, i have excelent coverage in ohio. 3G is still about 28 miles from my house but i expect my city to have it before year end. which doesnt matter because both my house and work have wifi, plus my mall so im happy.

5. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I moved from T-mobile to AT&T for the iPhone. My new home and work are in terrible T-mobile coverage areas, so I've been happy with the AT&T switch. Aside from initial set-up, I have not contacted AT&T again, so no issues with customer service.

Customer experience will vary depending on where they live vs. coverage area and if they speak with a customer service rep who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Also, people will post to complain/find help more often than just to say "Day 26 of everything is OK with my iPhone and AT&T"

Congrats on your good experience :)

7. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Wow, different outcome then I expected.

I thought there would me more "AT&T Sucks" comments.

I hope they (Apple) keeps AT&T... it would be a mess if they switched carriers.

8. cantankerously macrumors regular

I'd say AT&T is one of the better providers in Chicago. Yes, the service can be spotty, but they don't nickel and dime me like Verizon or have terrible CS like T-Mobile.

9. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I've used T-Mo, Sprint, VzW, Alltel, and at&t. T-Mo was always unreliable. Sprint was nothing but static. VzW was garbled, when it worked. Alltel worked well, but where I was, you had to put the 10-digit telephone number twice to make a call. AT&T Wireless was the best I used, then Cingular improved the coverage, then at&t mobility is the happiest I've been on any network, expecially when you are one the 850/900 Mhz. network, plus the ease of roaming in places where there is no official coverage and everything works exactly the same, regardless of where I've been, even in Canada.

TEG

10. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I've been a proud AT&T wireless customer for 8 years now and kept the service after moving to a new state. Great company, great service and people that say otherwise are full of it...

11. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

I've never really had any major issues with AT&T. Sure, I may not always have 3G service inside my apartment, but I never really have less than 3 bars anywhere I go. Voice is always dead on, and EDGE has been reliable with my blackberry for the past few years too (I just switched to an iPhone the Monday after the 3G launched).

The only real problem area I have is driving to work, about half a mile from my office, there's an area that causes a tower handoff and it gets botched and drops my call every time. Not that I'm frequently on the phone while I'm driving by the office, but it's happened enough that I've noticed.

I've always found it funny that my girlfriend complains that my company switched to AT&T about 4-5 years ago from Verizon so she can't call me for free anymore. I suggest that she should switch to AT&T and she says "hell no! Their coverage sucks, they're terrible!"... yet not a week passes that she's not complaining how terrible Verizon's service is and she has dead spots to and from her parents' house a few towns over, it never works in her old apartment, etc.

Coworkers piss and moan to me about how bad AT&T is inside their house (I'm the company's account administrator), yet when I ask if their kids' phones through Verizon or T-Mobile are any better and the answer is always no. Go figure.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and roaming is a breeze as TEG said. It's worked fine for me in the UK, just the same as it works in the states...only WAY more expensive! ;)

12. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I have not had any problems with AT&T for the time that I have been with them. Just for reference I started with Bellsouth Mobility which later became Cingluar which of course became AT&T. I'm going on 12 years without changing providers and have been satisfied overall. There have been a few issues between then and now but everything has been resolved in a timely manner and I honestly can find a reason compelling enough to go elsewhere even if the iPhone wasn't a factor.

13. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I don't hate them. I switched from Verizon and in terms of straight phone service, they are probably better (no dropped calls, etc.) Coverage-wise they're roughly the same, just with towers in different places.

But the thing about Verizon that absolutely hated was their attitude that they had to control everything. From the locked-down phones with a horrible generic UI to the nickel-and-diming that added sizable amounts to your monthly bill - I don't miss the "Big Brother" atmosphere at all.

So in those terms, I feel like I've been liberated with AT&T. I have no doubt that even if they'd not turned down the iPhone (which history will show was one of the biggest blunders in wireless corporate history) that they would have ruined the iPhone experience simply by their heavy-handedness.

14. rjg001 macrumors member

While AT&T has not been perfect for the few years I've been with them, they have not gone out of their way to earn my disdain the way Sprint did when I was a Sprint customer.

15. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

AT&T has been fine.

You have to remember that while every company will have legitimate problems with a few customers, you're not going to hear from the scores of people who have no problems at all -- they'll just be quiet, enjoying their service.

16. ElecEagle macrumors member

I don't hate AT&T, per say, but I'm no fanboi for them either. In my area (Central US, KS, OK, AR, etc), their coverage is mediocre and their pricing structure is on the higher side - 2nd highest in my region.

I pride myself on being an informed consumer so I did a pretty extensive carrier comparison at the beginning of July - in preparation for the iPhone - and they were about 'middle-of-the-pack-average' overall. Alltell (and, soon, Verizon) has AT&T beat on coverage and Alltel and Sprint beats AT&T on price plans.

17. gowanis macrumors 6502

come to Jersey City and deal with 10-20 kbps and you'll change your mind.

18. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I'm perfectly happy with my service and havent had any issues since the PB Wireless days...

19. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

i've never had problems with my cell service (except in newport, ri... it's terrible) but the customer service is AWFUL. effing idiots in their call centers... it is PAINFUL how bloody stupid they are.

20. Jack Dangers macrumors regular

No complaints here.

Works perfectly wherever I go.

21. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

maybe a little off topic but, it seems like it would be a wiser desicion if apple had sold the iphones themselves. maybe even CDMA and GSM. that way any body could buy one and apple would sell many more.

22. RobbRock macrumors member

RobbRock

I just switched back to att with the iphone and its great I was with verizon before and they had good service im not going to lie but they were always behind on phones in my opinion and i disliked how they didnt have gsm especially because i travel out of the country. I think im a phone-a-holic cuz i care more about the phone sometimes more then the service i have.

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I could write a very long list of places AT&T's service is poor during my day.

But, uhm, it would be the exact same list that I would have made last year when I was on T-Mobile.

Some places just have bad coverage, period. I've never seen the need to complain about one carrier over another. I've been equally satisfied with AT&T (1999-2004) and T-Mobile (2004-2008) and now AT&T again (last 2 weeks).

24. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

No complaints. We've been customers with the same "company" for over a decade. First it was Cell One, then Cingular, and then of course AT&T. With each successive merging, the quality seems to have improved. For the most part, EDGE coverage in my area is so good that I don't usually even bother switching over to WiFi. I have a Gen 1 iPhone so I can't speak to 3G's coverage, ect.

The iPhone was a natural progression and a no-brainer for me. I'm already on AT&T, not going anywhere, so why not have the (mostly) best phone on the planet?

25. Otsugua macrumors newbie

i dont hate at&t at all. The reason I have barley any bars at my house is because the damn city I live in wouldnt allow any cell phone towers to be built. So once im outside of my neighborhood I get full bars and fast 3g.