Am I the only one who loves the new home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Supermallet, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I have to give Apple credit, after the preorder debacle for IUP users they did their best to make things right and I was able to reserve a black 128 gb iPhone 7. Aside from the switch from a Plus to a regular model, which I think was the right decision, I'm most impressed with the new home button. It feels way more responsive and reactive, and with the Taptic setting on 1 it still feels likes real button (on 2 or 3 the feedback is too much).

I've seen a lot of people slagging on the new home button but I'll bet there are others out there like me who think it's a clear improvement over the old mechanical button. If you're feeling the same way, speak up here!

2. sinister184 macrumors member

I like it the more I use it. It took a minute to get used to the pressure required to register a 'click'. Having multiple IOS devices its now weird to go from using the real button on the iPad to the 7 now.

3. duaneu macrumors 6502a

4. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Yeah, it's nice. Feels...MAGICAL and COURAGEOUS. Naa but it's good, I like it too.

5. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nope, i'm with ya, I love it too! I think its the best new addition frankly, love the feedback it provides, fluid on setting number 1 for me!

6. weesy macrumors regular

Definitely took me a minute to get used to it but I really like it

7. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I just left the Apple Store and messed around with the display models for a while. It's great.

I have no idea what people are taking about when they say it takes a while to get used to, but I use 3D Touch a lot so maybe I already got used to it. It's basically the same thing.

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

it's absolutely different from the mechanical home button from every previous iPhone.

That said, I do really like it. It has a very nice subtle haptic feedback, like a capacitive button from my old Android buttons but that feels like a tap, not the whole phone vibrating. I do really like it.

I don't feel like it's shaking the whole bottom of the phone. It just feels like a light tap.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

It will save Apple millions as they will no longer have to endure the OCD whiners who say their button is too clicky, crunchy, mushy, not flush or loose.

Best thing Apple did, anytime you can get rid of a moving button, dependability will go up!

10. EezyE macrumors regular

I like it too. It was a nice change. I guess some people have to find something to complain about.

11. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I love it. The best feature in the iPhone 7.

12. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Nope I love it. I've got mine set to 3 and it almost feels like a real click!!

13. justdefend macrumors member

I like it better than the old Home button. Had heard all these previous reports that the whole bottom vibrates but it really does feel like just a tap right at the center. Also love the taptic feedback bumps from the notifications scroll down and quick menu scroll up.

14. Barrett85 macrumors member

Love it. Had several problems with the previous home buttons sticking, this feels very nice!

15. Plx32 macrumors member

I just got back from the Apple Store. I absolutely love the new home button !

I was expecting something terrible based on the reviews but on every iPhone I tried, it did feel like a real button.

Definitely not a deal breaker on whether I will go from 6s Plus to 7 Plus (even though I'm still not sure about upgrading, but for other reasons)

16. Supermallet thread starter macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Yes! That's a nice addition as well. It adds some weight to the phone without actually making the phone heavier.

17. steemax macrumors regular

steemax

I got used to it after a few minutes and i find it a joy to use. It's very trippy how real it feels. (i have it on setting 3 btw)

18. normanfox macrumors 6502a

physical button does not use battery. does this new button drain battery if you are a heavy user? just one more extra component that use battery, even though it is little but it adds up.

19. miltonbull macrumors member

miltonbull

I agree. Coming from a iPhone 6 its beeen a blast. The feeling I great, love the new Taptic Engine. Feels futuristic or something.

20. junebug1 macrumors regular

junebug1

Unfortunately haven't gotten my 7 Plus in yet but have had some extensive time using a co-workers and absolutely love it. First thing I said was how I couldn't understand why people hated it. Feels great. Glad to see there are others who agree.

21. NewtypeCJ macrumors 6502

NewtypeCJ

Love it. Reading all the negative impressions had me a little worried but I loved it the first time I tried it.

22. galahan macrumors member

I think it's great too. I started at 3 but now I'm giving 1 a whirl.

23. EezyE macrumors regular

I don't know if it does or doesn't but if you are concerned, change the setting to where the phone opens on your finger's touch rather than touch and pressing the home button. That would be something you wouldn't have to worry about the taptic engine use on.

24. NashMan2 macrumors regular