Am I the only one who's never had an issue with AT&T coverage/service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 10, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

I always hear about dropped calls, etc. but it seems like the complaints always come from people in San Francisco or NYC. I'm in the metro Detroit area and maybe it's just a coincidence, but I have basically no issues with my iPhone and yet my Verizon Blackberry I use for work drops calls on a pretty regular basis.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I would say you're one of the few lucky ones who hasn't had a problem.

In the Hartford area, I don't really have dropped calls, but coverage is spotty and 3G data service sometimes has a 30-second lag or so.

But when I'm away at school in Storrs, CT (which is in the middle of nowhere) I have frequent dropped calls when I walk by buildings.

3. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

I live close to Dallas, and while the 3G works awesome (have close to wifi speed here), I've had a good share of dropped calls too. And since I've been with all of the other carriers, those were not only the only dropped called I've ever had, but they were bad to the point where every other call was dropped.

If it helps though, when i had At&t with another phone, I've also never had dropped calls, so it's obviously the iphone that's the problem. Good chance the 4 will fix that problem too

4. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I've had no issues and I'm in the Seattle area (and I've heard people bitching it sux here. I have no clue what they are talking about).

I think a few years ago there was a month that I was getting a lot of dropped calls or unable to call out. But it was a month and then whatever the problem was seemed to get fixed.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just wondering something. If you get a dropped call, can’t it be the fault of the service provider of the cell phone you are calling?

6. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess I have no expectation of a cell phone holding a call 100% of the time so on the rare dropped call I just chalk it up to the shortcomings of technology.

7. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Been using iPhones from almost day one in 2007 and have no issues with coverage. I am in Louisville, KY.

8. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

the only time i have a problem with iphone coverage is when i am driving through the pine barons of new jersey other than that no problems at all.

9. rossihvac macrumors regular

rossihvac

I'm on long island and my service is excellent. I couldn't be happier

10. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry

Honestly though, in the Los Angeles area I have issues of "dead zones" where my cell signal fluctuates incredibly from 3G to Edge to nothing back to 3g, etc. They are rare for sure, but they do exist. Personally it's not a major annoyance for me, because then I'll just move 20 feet away and it works. I really haven't had a calling issue with AT&T that makes me want to change providers for that specific reason. Now taking away unlimited data, that's a different story.

11. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I've never had any coverage issues and I travel for a living for half of the year. I've been to the largest metropolis and to the dinkiest town in the US. :cool:

12. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

No real problems here in Kentucky. The 3G coverage is fine in the cities, but once you head into the rural areas you drop down to EDGE, but phone service is pretty good. I can't think of the last time I had a dropped call. For me, 95% of my time I have fast 3G service whether at work or home.

I think a lot of people just like to jump on the "AT&T is horrible" bandwagon. I know there are a lot of people that do have trouble, but there are a whole lot that don't. The ones that do are just a lot more vocal.

On a side note, when I head back home to my parents near Cincinnati, I can easily get over 3Mbps on 3G. From what I've read, this is close to what a lot of Sprints 4G network achieves. And it's only half what AT&T is theoretically capable of.

13. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

That's been my experience for the most part. Someone in another part of the country with a low-rent carrier having dropped calls quite often. I've had a few in my area, but only in 1 certain pace in between places that I get full bars with.

With regard to service, I've had my share of extremely poor AT&T corporate store experiences. I attribute it to the store manager(s), but it's happened about 3-4 times with outright lying to me. OTOH, I've had almost all (that I can remember) either relatively positive to extremely positive experiences when calling the service centers. There have been some great people working there. Overall, I've had good-very good ATT experiences. The corporate store near me is just very bad.

14. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I also live near Dallas and I have been very happy with my 3G coverage but I have never really had any problems with dropped calls.

My biggest complaint with the service would be the price

15. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I live near philly.. never had an issue.. well maybe one or two and I've had my iPhone since day one..

16. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I live in Phoenix and 99% of the time the service is perfect, but for some odd reason I live right in a dead zone and will get 1 bar of service until I get to the freeway a half mile down the road. Other than that, can't complain.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

AT&T has been great...absolutely no problems here in Houston or anywhere I've been even in the bay area....full coverage and good data speeds....I'm an old Cingular customer and I noticed no change in coverage quality since the companies merged

18. Kawjumper201 macrumors member

I live in Utah and have never had a problem with dropped calls and my speed seems really good also. I can say I am completely happy with att.

19. scottuf macrumors 6502

I live in SoFla and have only had dropped calls when I had a Nokia N75 - tons of dropped calls in fact. No other phone I've had has had that problem, including my 3Gs. On my Verizon work phone (current BB Pearl), I have terrible coverage and the data is terribly slow. AT&T for me!

20. njpodder macrumors regular

I live in NC, and I find my AT&T service to be spotty and I have plenty of dropped calls, mainly because of dead spots that I drive through or have around me.

I think part of my issue is that prior to AT&T (Which I started using before the iPhone was out) I had Verizon, and I was really spoiled with their network that works EVERYWHERE. Literally, everywhere. I could be out in the Appalachain mountains backpacking, and Verizon got perfect signal. AT&T drops as soon as I drive towards the mountains. Out on the coast of NC, along the Outer banks string of islands, I would take a ferry out to the farthest South inhabited Island, Ocracoke, out in the middle of the sound, nothing but Ocean all around, and Verizon had full service, perfect signal. AT&T drops halfway between my area and the coast.

So, I am happy with AT&T, and it works well enough, and I will admit that I believe Verizon has greater coverage in more areas, which annoys me from time to time, but overall, AT&T works fine for me.

But I have the best phone on the market (The iPhone) and it sure would be great to have it on what I believe to be the best network in my market.

21. otis123 macrumors 6502a

Seattle area is just fine I get 5 bars of 3g almost everywhere.

22. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I have never had any problems in north Atlanta. 3G speeds are quick with minimal latency and I only experience a dropped call every now and again. I couldn't even name the last 3 if I had to.

23. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Overall my AT&T Service is about the same as it was with Verizon where I live and travel. I switched to AT&T when the first iPhone came out. I have to say that I have had some dropped calls where I don't remember having them on Verizon. However, I can count them on 1 hand per year, so really not an issue for me.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You bet. When I use my iPhone to call my wife, who also has an iPhone, I get dropped calls all the time.

In reality, it all depends on the area you live in. I live in the Cincinnati area and AT&T is horrible here.

25. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Huh?