Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I just moved from a 4s to a 5s. Gotta say I prefer the smaller size. My favorite form factor is the 3G/3GS (about 62mm wide). If they made one with retina display, LTE and touch ID i would buy it over anything else.

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
I find the current 5/5s the ideal screen size. I had a htc one for work, and it's just uncomfortable for me. I tend to sometimes use the phone with one hand whilst at work, and it's almost impossible to do this on the htc one. I wouldn't get a bigger iPhone

jinyoungkim7

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2010
Maryland, USA
I don't think I'd want it any smaller than it is now. However, I anything bigger than the 4in now, I wouldn't buy. One of the main reasons I continue to buy the iPhone is because I can use it with one hand. It would suck if Apple made two versions for the iPhone 6, one with 4in and the other 5in or something, because they would most likely make the 5in the "premier" one.

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
I don't think I'd want it any smaller than it is now. However, I anything bigger than the 4in now, I wouldn't buy. One of the main reasons I continue to buy the iPhone is because I can use it with one hand. It would suck if Apple made two versions for the iPhone 6, one with 4in and the other 5in or something, because they would most likely make the 5in the "premier" one.

It would be really annoying if the smaller screen one had worse specs

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I like the 3.5 size. Its a PHONE. I have an iPad for media consumption.

The problem I have with this statement is its not just a phone any more. its a smart phone and when I am on the go and working on responding to some emails or working on a lesson plan while I have some spare time on the go that extra size makes a big difference.

Some people may use it only as a phone and thats fine, but it is no longer an acceptable argument for screen size argument. It really isn't just a phone any more.

WhoBitTheApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
I can't believe people are complaining about the fact that if the screen goes above 4", they would not buy the iPhone.

My 5s is great, love it to death. Features are great. But I really don't understand this idea of people actually wanting a smaller screen (revert back to 3.5"? Are you sure this isn't just nostalgia kicking in?)

So like a 15 gram difference and making the phone a tad bit bigger would turn you off? I understand you have a tablet, but sometimes when you're on the go you just can't pull out your tablet and do something quick as you would on your phone.

Now if apple decides to have like a 6 inch phone screen then fine, you can argue that you have a tablet and having a screen like that is unnecessary. But a 4" to 4.7-5" inch jump would highly benefit the device, and hell they wouldn't even need to make the phone bigger because there is still a ton of space on the phone itself to expand the screen.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
The problem I have with this statement is its not just a phone any more. its a smart phone and when I am on the go and working on responding to some emails or working on a lesson plan while I have some spare time on the go that extra size makes a big difference.

Some people may use it only as a phone and thats fine, but it is no longer an acceptable argument for screen size argument. It really isn't just a phone any more.
It hasn't been "just a phone" since the iPhone 1. Apple has gone through great lengths to adapt the "full computer" experience down to a small device. That's the entire point. If phone screen sizes keep getting larger, the portability aspect will get lost.

Look, I can understand some want larger screen sizes for their phones. That's OK as long as there are choices for those who don't. I just hope Apple doesn't turn into Samsung and assume that everyone wants to be carrying around a "phablet". That would be just plain dumb from a business aspect.

Joybulb

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
While I don't want a smaller screen, I agree that the 3.5" size is just fine. This also makes me think that if the i6 is significantly larger I may not get it. I did however see a mock up on this forum, that made it seem possible to just increase the screen size and leave the size of the phone largely untouched. This I would purchase.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I upgraded from the 4S to 5S and love the additional screen size. However, the size of the 5S is perfect for my hand. Any larger and it would be difficult to operate it with one hand. Just stretching my thumb up another half inch changes the balance point and the other hand needs to pull up to stabilize it.

Maybe I would get used to it but it would be close. Would have to give it a test first.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
If, and that's a pretty big if, Apple decides to release a phone with a larger screen, it would be a C version.

You have that backwards. The C version will keep the 4 inch size, the iPhone 6 will increase in size. Anyone who wants to stay with a 4 inch iPhone can buy the C and save some money in the process! Its a win/win.

Sgeffm

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2013
Would be so happy to have new phones (at least 32gb) with small screen. Nearly everyone is psyched for bigger ones.
Uncomfortable for sports etc.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Speaking of which id be over the moon if the next iPhone was 3.5" but half as thick and twice as light. Now THAT would be innovation and exciting. Id even take the current screen size or if they were to make the screen size bigger the device needs to remain no larger, so its just edge to edge. But thinness and lightness would be the key for me.

In terms of thinness and weight, iPhone is heading toward the direction of iPod touch.

As for the screen size, I think you are becoming one of the dinosaurs. In 2007 when iPhone first came out, I wished for iPhone nano. But overwhelming majority carry just one phone and most people want/need a phone that can do a lot more than what basic featured phones can do. And it is much harder to accomplish wider range of tasks with a smaller screen. While 3.5" screen can do all the tasks, once you use larger screen, it is often harder to go back. And frankly, I think Apple will do more to reduce the size of bezels on future iPhone models.

It is pretty clear that Apple will supplement iPhone with iWatch. It is my hope that iWatch will be available with cellular antenna as as option. Adding iPad LTE to AT&T costs $10/month.

And I hope iWatch LTE will be empowered with ability to receive and send iMessage, make FaceTime calls (at least audio only variety), etc. all without being tethered to iPhone.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Count me in the "Want a smaller iPhone" crowd.

I'd love a device that's around 3". Smaller than the 4/4S to the degree that the 5/5S is bigger.

I don't play games or watch videos on my iPhone, so I don't need the large screen.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
I like the 3.5 size. Its a PHONE. I have an iPad for media consumption.

exactly. i have my 4s for music, phonecalls (its a phone after all), and only the occasional email, facebook and internet on the go. it should fit comfortably intoa jeans front pocket.
for everything else i have the mac and ipad.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Yes you are the only one. Sorry but iphone 6 will most likely be 4.5-5". :cool:

DEACONM

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I like smaller

IT FITS WELL IN MY POCKETS, COAT POCKETS. IT DOES NOT LOOK BULKY. RATHER A COOL LOOK YOU KNOW! .:apple:

zigzagg321

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
the wire

The device is a phone first, and anything else after that. The form factor should fit the first intended purpose of a device. Ive ordered a 5s, but I wouldn't want a phone larger than that.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
The device is a phone first, and anything else after that. The form factor should fit the first intended purpose of a device. Ive ordered a 5s, but I wouldn't want a phone larger than that.

For you maybe, others see their phone as a media consumption device and a larger screen is always going to be better for that purpose.

JulesK

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
I'd try a larger iPhone, but it's still a phone

After using a 5s for a bit more than two weeks, it's seems "normal", and I have small hands and was concerned about how easy it would be to use the larger screen with one hand. When holding my old iPhone 4S (before selling it), the screen looked squashed, and I loved that phone. So if Apple puts out a phone with a larger screen, I'd give it a try, although I would really want Apple to keep the overall size as close as possible to the 5/5s. Already, it's at the out limit of what I'm willing to carry in my pocket. If I have to lug a phone around in a bag or belt clip, it's too big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.