Am I weird for despising coffee?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by likemyorbs, Jun 14, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Everyone around me on a daily basis thinks I'm crazy for disliking the taste of coffee. Not only that, i feel no need to have a hot beverage in the morning to wake me up. I love tea and hot cocoa, but feel no need to have them in the morning. I drink them more in the winter time. As for coffee, i can't stand the taste of it, not even coffee ice cream or even if it's 99% milk and 1% coffee. I feel like i'm in the minority with that. Anyone else feel the same?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

It is probably better for your health that you dislike coffee.

However, yes, I do consider you weird. :D

4. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

DR. Freedman and colleagues beg to differ
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1112010

5. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Coffee smells nice, but I don't care for the taste of it.
    But then again, I hate warm or hot beverages in general.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I agree that it smells nice, and it's rare that i hate the taste of something that i like the smell of.

7. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'd say coffee is a wash health-wise. It has been proven to have many long term effects for moderate use including reduction in certain types of cancer, reduction in Alzheimers, and surprisingly even thing such as reduction in cavities. That said, many people drink far too much of it and disrupt their bodies normal rhythms, cause sleep problems, etc.

8. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

The health aspect of it is irrelevant to me. I drink diet soda and eat way too much fast food anyway. How i'm still pretty skinny is beyond me. I'm just purely talking about taste. I can't tolerate the taste, i can't even swallow coffee when i do try it, it makes me gag.

9. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I don't particularly care for the taste of coffee--I've had excellent and terrible coffee and never really felt the need to go back for more.

The real thing that keeps me from drinking coffee is that it seems to be the one thing that doesn't always agree with my stomach. My stomach often feels unsettled after I drink coffee. I could quite honestly mix wine, beer and liquor, eat a big bowl of chili and ride an 80mph roller coaster upside down and not feel sick to my stomach, but a cup of coffee will do it. :confused:

I do kind of wish I smoked and drank coffee, because I feel like I'm missing out on wandering-around-the-office time that those people get. ;)

11. tvh13 macrumors member

Weird?

Not weird to dislike it but a little strange to post your dislike here. I am writing this as I finish a nice strong cup of Kenyan.

I do find that when I am not drinking coffee my energY and sleep cycles are more even and stable.

12. 184550 Guest

I dislike coffee and tea.

The only hot beverage I'll drink is hot chocolate. I get plenty of weird looks when I meet my friends for coffee somewhere, especially in the summer, and I order hot chocolate.

13. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Then perhaps you haven't tried the Nespresso system?

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You don't understand, no matter what kind of flavor the coffee is or how good it might taste to you, the general background taste of ALL coffee absolutely disgusts me.

15. monkeylui macrumors 6502

My wife doesn't, I do. That's ok, more for meeeee.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Rarely drink coffee - if it's too strong I feel anxious. Tea also has caffeine it in, but I drink a lot of that all day and feel fine. Weird.

My girlfriend is hooked on it. Typical finance type, up early, first thing she needs is a quick coffee before heading out. No breakfast needed. She'll have about 3 or 4 more at work and another one or two when she comes home.

There was a study recently that showed it's the smell of coffee that psychologically wakes you up. You don't even need to drink the stuff :p

17. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Do you also dislike beer ?

If you do, might just be that you don't like bitter tasting food/drinks. Dark chocolate would probably be something else you don't like in this case.

18. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I also feel this way about gasoline. :eek:

19. malman89 macrumors 68000

I generally dislike the smell and taste of pretty much all coffee. The only slight exception is I'll have a cappuccino if I'm stuck in a cafe sort of business meeting.

When I was living in Rome, I at least went out and tried everything at least once from espresso to cappuccinos hot and cold, but it was really just to say I tried it when I was there.

I also find that dark beers like Guinness (or darker) have a hint of what tastes like coffee to me, so I usually tend to avoid those.

20. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Wouldn't matter. Coffee is disgusting. To be fair though. I don't put any caffeine in my body beyond a bit of chocolate here and there

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I find the same thing to be true. I am not at all an anxious person in general, but caffeine makes me kind of edgy. Usually doesn't happen with tea, but it will happen with coffee or no-doz.

22. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes. Yes you are.

Coffee is the nectar of the gods.

23. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

YES!!!! I don't drink beer at all whatsoever. I think it's gross. I do love me some hard liquor though. I tolerate dark chocolate but i definitely prefer milk chocolate.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oh so true.
    I live off the stuff and am completely addicted to the stuff. I get splitting headaches if I do not drink my morning cup.

25. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I don't like coffee at all. Some of the (fresh) grounds smell good. I do like coffee ice cream. I can't even stand the smell of tea but I like hot chocolate.

One of my coworkers made a great point - he just doesn't like hot drinks. They are too hot to drink when you first get them and by the time you're done they are freezing.

Also nothing worse than trying to help out a coworker (or customer) and getting bowled over by coffee breath!!!