Amazed how well the "Apple" Bumper really works

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tttexxan, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

I was having approx 4-5 drop calls a day without a bumper. Since placing the bumper approx 4 days ago no drop calls with a stong signal.
    My wife returned her iphone 4 prior to buying a bumper (she just prefers the feel of 3gs better), but was having atleast 10 drop calls a day. Would have loved to see if the bumper would have corrected her phone issue.

Many cases out there I guess but the bumper does work very well. Also have invinsable shield to help protect front/back.

2. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs on iPhones new antenna design: "it has never been done before" pretty much pointless new design when you need to cover it up with a bumper. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

I dont know why it's so hard for me to believe someone could "drop" 10 calls or more in a day? Maybe because I rarely make 10 calls a day. But if I dropped every one of them, that'd be something. I still have yet to drop a call on the iphone 4.

i have bumped the prox sensor once or twice, but can't even say if it was the phones fault since I was holding it with shoulder to face while doing other things.

4. tuatha macrumors regular

I agree, the bumper is yet another example of the fantastic design work being carried out at cupertino.

It just works.

I cannot believe this thread exists.

5. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I like the bumper as well. Never had a dropped call problem, but the bumper looks nice and provides just the level of protection I want. It's damn near impossible for my iPhone to slide off a table with the bumper on.

6. rtabdo macrumors 6502

+1

7. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

+ 2. I have always had a case on my past iPhones and had planned to have the bumper on my i4 before I even ordered it.

That said, I have had the bumper on since I got my i4 out of the box and have absolutely zero issues. This is the best iPhone I've ever had. ( and I've had them all) this phone gets much better reception in low signal areas than either my wifes or daughters 3GS.

8. Espo macrumors 6502

What material are the bumpers?

How do they feel? Cheap at all?

9. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

The Bumper is magical. It's made from magic materials. :p

10. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

+2

11. iphone3gss macrumors member

This doesn't mean the person was making 10 calls a day. I had to call Microsoft's Activation line the other day, and I had to call back 4 times due to dropped calls. Then I had to make a call to Britta's warranty department, and I had to make 3 calls. That is approaching 10 dropped calls, but I only needed to make 2 calls that day. My free bumper from Apple came in today, so hopefully no more :)

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Why is "Apple" in quotes? Is the bumper you have not an "Apple" product?

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Lol, my iPhone 4 is always sliding off of desks and tables. It's just so slick. It's usually landing on carpet so I'm okay but it had a pretty nasty fall onto a wood floor yesterday from about 4 feet (slid off the couch armrest). Survived without a scratch though :)

14. rabmag macrumors member

"It has never been done before"....

now we know why :D

15. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

WOW 10 dropped calls a day.. I maybe get 1 dropped call a week MAYBE 1

16. drewby macrumors member

drewby

+1. I'm confused on this too.

17. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It makes your post more "intriguing" when you put words in quotes.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

I got the bumper even before I really read too much about the reception. I never really experimented with my phone naked because I got the bumper right after I picked up my phone. I was only 50/50 of getting the bumper because $30 for a strip of plastic felt like a rip-off. But once I felt the edges of the phone in my hand and how paranoid I would get of lying it flat or losing grip, I went for the bumper on launch day. I've probably had my iPhone 4 naked for only about an hour since the box was opened. I hear about the bumper "scratching" the sides, but honestly, I don't care or even bother to look. Scratch or no scratch, dropped calls or not, I'm just leaving the bumper on anyway. It gives enough protection to raise the phone and protect the edges of the protruding glass, but still minimalistic enough that it could still show majority of the iPhone 4's slick look.

As for the quotations on "Apple." I think it comes off that Apple finally made something that "works" this time for some people the last few weeks.

19. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

I have my bumper but not my iP4 yet, and it does look pretty well made. Definitely over priced, though.

20. caige macrumors newbie

Those of you who have purchased bumpers with the hope or belief that is will that will prevent loss of signal may be being mislead. I too originally purchased a bumper because I was influenced by all the talk that it would correct the signal loss problem. Well in my case it did not. Even with the bumper I could get the signal to go down to just one bar. However, with only one bar showing I could still make and received voice calls and not drop a call. So I decided to return the bumper and get my money back, since the main purpose of me buying it was to prevent signal loss which it did not do.

When I visited the Apple Store and spoke with a Genius I was informed that the purpose of the bumper was only to protect the phone from damage if dropped or mishandled, and it has nothing to do with preventing loss of signal. I was told that there will be a software update coming out next week that will change the way the signal is displayed and give a more accurate representation of the actual signal. In other words at present when the signal is showing only one bar it may be that in actuality it is two or three bars.

For those of you who are experiencing dropped calls it might be more related to location. As I stated, I have had only one bar showing and did not have any degradation in the quality of the call. I even removed the bumper and held the phone such that my hand covered the antenna gap and it stilled worked just as well. So, there you have it. Take it for what it’s worth.

21. caige macrumors newbie

It's like anything else. If it doesn't come as part of the original purchase it's going to have a high markup.

22. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

One thing I can tell you about those Apple "geniuses", most of their answers to questions like that should be taken with a grain of salt. You could ask the same question two five "geniuses" and get 5 different answers.

And, by the way, I think my use of quotation marks around "geniuses" is very appropriate.

23. gawuffy macrumors member

When you consider that a bumper in the UK is £25, and the official Apple case for the iPad is £30, it seems massively overpriced for what it is. Personally, I'm not even that keen on the quality - it just feels a bit cheap.

There's no arguing with the fact that if it does it's job, it's a lot cheaper than repairing a dropped iPhone though...

24. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

What the other guy was saying was that he does not have the need to redial the same number repeatedly because he does not get very many dropped calls.

The really amazing and magical thing about the bumper is the gigantic frigging heavy gauge cardboard box it comes in. You could use that thing to chock the wheel of an airplane.

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I got my bumper delivered yesterday too! I love the bumper and my iPhone 4!