Amazingly, Circus Ponies Notebook Works in Mojave

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I took the plunge and updated to Mojave 10.14.6, not quite up to Catalina yet...

After a few minutes of testing, I see that the following will cause Notebook 4.0.7 (759) to crash:
- opening the "File > Open Recent" menu - if you want to use anything else from the File menu below that, just move the pointer down really fast so that the "Open Recent" submenu doesn't open.
- opening the "Window" menu - immediate crash.
- opening a password-protected file either by double-clicking it or using "File > Open", it crashes after entering the password.

The other menubar items seem ok (so far). Maybe it's not so bad... I don't use a lot of advanced stuff, maybe I can keep going with it for another couple of years rather than having to change to NoteTaker or something else.

Can anyone else describe specific things that cause crashes, so we know what to avoid doing?

Last edited:

HenryJ

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
I took the plunge and updated to Mojave 10.14.6, not quite up to Catalina yet...

After a few minutes of testing, I see that the following will cause Notebook 4.0.7 (759) to crash:
- opening the "File > Open Recent" menu - if you want to use anything else from the File menu below that, just move the pointer down really fast so that the "Open Recent" submenu doesn't open.
- opening the "Window" menu - immediate crash.
- opening a password-protected file either by double-clicking it or using "File > Open", it crashes after entering the password.

The other menubar items seem ok (so far). Maybe it's not so bad... I don't use a lot of advanced stuff, maybe I can keep going with it for another couple of years rather than having to change to NoteTaker or something else.

Can anyone else describe specific things that cause crashes, so we know what to avoid doing?
You may want to go a step further and install Catalina. Inexplicably, to me at least, Notebook 4.0.7 ran better on Catalina than on Mojave. Still not perfect, crashes under certain conditions, but still better and more stable than before.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
Thanks HenryJ - I wonder if you could describe any of the things that cause crashes - or don't cause them anymore on Catalina? Can you use the "Window" and "Open Recent" menus for example?

If I install Catalina, I'll lose the use of my graphics tablet and some important apps, so if CPN is the same either way, I'd rather not. Also it seems to me more stable on Mojave than the last time I tried it on a friend's computer about a year ago, so there could have been the same improvements. Maybe I'll try installing Catalina on another partition and compare them, when I have some time.

sum yung guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2015
I installed Catalina on a virtual machine, but it doesn't seem any more stable than the latest Mojave. The same things make NoteBook crash: using the "Window" menu or the "Open recent", etc.

DeepYogurt

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
Has anyone seen NoteBook (v3.1.9 on High Sierra) go into super-high CPU usage (near 100%) occasionally (seems to be for about 10 minutes) and then be fine? It does it when it first starts up, then occasionally thereafter but I have not seen a pattern to the high-cpu problem yet. It might have something to do with Services, but that is just a guess. I open a rather large notebook on startup (over 1GB), so it might be related to that, but since it does it again in the middle of doing stuff, this is probably coincendental. But after the high-cpu can't-do-much period things are fine, until it happens again (and that might be hours or minutes - it's very unpredictable. Any ideas or what i might do to narrow down the cause of the problem?

When in this super-high court mode, you really can't do much with NoteBook till it stops being so cpu-bound but other processes don't seem to be affected very much.

Am just now starting to try V4 of NoteBook on Catalina and it works in some ways but seems to crash a fair amount -- can make it crash at will if i do something as simple as try and move mouse cursor (not even a click yet) on top of "File/Open Recent" menu command - crashes every time I try.

Thanks...

ClarusWerks

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2019
Late to the party as I was late to climb Mojave (10.14.6).
I went to open v4 today, and it crashed.
Reinstalled v3, and it works.
Suggestions on things to tweak to get 4 to work?
If I go back to v3, I'll be sad, as the developer added crows feet ( represents 1-to-many) as a line ending to for Flow charts just for me!

Last edited: