Amazon Acquires Mesh WiFi Maker Eero

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:04 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today announced that it is acquiring eero, a company known for its mesh Wi-Fi systems.

eero makes a range of easy-to-use and somewhat affordable mesh Wi-Fi systems, designed to extend Wi-Fi signal across a person's entire home, putting an end to areas with weak signal.

[​IMG]

There are no details on the purchase price, but Amazon says that it is acquiring eero to "help customers better connect smart home devices."
    Mesh Wi-Fi systems like eero are ideal for smart home setups with many internet connected devices, and the acquisition fits well with Amazon's growing portfolio of smart home products such as Ring.

Article Link: Amazon Acquires Mesh WiFi Maker Eero

2. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

As an Eero user, I'm really excited by this. I like this acquisition more than ring and blink personally.

3. Red Oak macrumors regular

Next up: a change to eero’s privacy policy that gives Amazon data on all your network traffic

As a long time eero customer, this really really sucks

4. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

5. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

Since AAPL isn't doing it anymore why not?

6. vipergts2207 macrumors 68000

vipergts2207

Well I can safely cross this off a list of future network upgrade possibilities. I hope Apple decides to get back into the game when 802.11ax launches in earnest.

7. danny1305 macrumors newbie

Eero is decent...but doesnt come close to the Velop system

8. squirrelist macrumors regular

squirrelist

I’m actually relieved to hear this. I love Eero (I’m a reseller and I fully believe in their product) but my only concern has been what if the company goes under? Unless they spend their last few dollars to redesign their management software to work without the cloud everyone will have useless devices. Amazon isn’t going under any time soon so that hopefully gives their products longevity. Also the radio engineers at Eero are incredible and hopefully they can use some of their expertise to improve other Amazon products.

9. George Zip, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:13 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2019 at 7:27 AM

George Zip macrumors member

George Zip

--- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 2:14 PM ---
    Well; ****. I am not looking forward to Amazon ****ing up an otherwise great product. I guess I'll have to start looking at other options again.

10. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

I'm afraid of the same situation. I really love the eero platform (the plus service is actually worth it to me for 1Password, Malwarebytes, and Encrypt.me). I don't want it to suffer from Amazon's influence. That being said, Amazon is playing nice(ish?) with Apple (Music), so there might be a silver lining.

11. iAVERY macrumors member

With eero plus is this even possible?

12. CMoore515 macrumors regular

I was just looking at an Eero setup to replace my AirPort Extreme. Will be waiting to see what they do to the product, I guess.

13. Unity451 macrumors regular

Unity451

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Amazon will just jack the prices up and remove the lower priced options like they did with Ring.
    I just want another stickup cam that doesn't cost a small fortune. I paid $149 for my original stickup cam, and it came with solar panel charging.
    That costs $228 now AND another $30 a year device subscription to use it. (I don't have 5 devices, so there's no savings on the annual subscription)

15. BigCLC macrumors member

BigCLC

16. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

I agree. This feels almost as bad as when Google bought Nest. Boo.

17. Ollé macrumors regular

Ollé

I've just upgraded my Apple base stations to Ubiquiti Amplifi. Eero was on the short list, however, this makes me thankful that I didn't go down that path.

Hopefully, they won't ruin an excellent product or enforce some kind of account policy (like Google does with its Google WiFi).

18. roar08 macrumors regular

roar08

My first thoughts too. I refuse to put Alexa in my house ... but Amazon is going to do whatever it can to get your household into their databases. Frustrating.

19. Jedwardoo macrumors member

Jedwardoo

This mean privacy goes out the window. Is that correct?

20. roar08 macrumors regular

roar08

Privacy left the building long ago. This is is just the inevitable expansion of surveillance capitalism.

21. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Bought into Eero about 10 months ago and it has been rock solid. I hope this doesn't change things negatively. Really don't like that all my internet traffic will now be passing through an Amazon product..

22. lenard macrumors 6502

What’s the difference?

23. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Dodged a bullet here. I was waiting for their 802.11ax/WiFi 6 mesh network to come out to upgrade my old AirPort. I don't want Amazon snooping me more than they already do. They already bought Ring which I have installed around my house (at least I don't have any mics/cameras inside the house). This is why it's important for Apple to have first-party products like AirPorts, as well as their own HomeKit products. Nobody else cares about privacy like they do, even if they did recently have a big privacy glitch. At least they aren't doing things intentionally and are actively trying to make things more private and secure.

24. TTTedP macrumors member

Glad I went Ubiquiti vs Eero when I swapped out my Airports.

25. Jedwardoo macrumors member

Jedwardoo

That’s sad.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 3:41 PM ---
    How’s your Ubiquity so far?