Amazon Debuts New Fire TV with 4K Video & Alexa Voice Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today announced the follow-up to last year's Fire TV streaming device, simply dubbed "The New Amazon Fire TV." The new $99 box is getting a handful of new features, including 4K ultra HD video streaming, the addition of the company's Alexa voice assistant into the operating system, and a processing boost of 75 percent over last year's model.

[​IMG]

The introduction of Alexa will allow customers to play their music, check on the score of a sporting event, and see how the weather is outside, all while using their voice. Speaking into the Fire TV remote will bring the voice assistant up -- who made her debut in the Amazon Echo last fall -- and she will eventually become more acclimated to each customer's speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal preferences.

In addition to 4K ultra HD streaming, the company promises higher quality basic HD video for everyone who doesn't have a television set that supports 4K settings. Amazon has also introduced expandable storage, allowing customers to increase the 8GB of on-device storage all the way up to 128GB for a variety of apps and games.
    Concerning games specifically, the company also announced an entirely new Amazon Fire TV Gaming Edition, which is essentially today's newly announced Fire TV bundled alongside the new Fire TV Gaming Controller, a 32GB microSD card, and Shovel Knight and Disney's Ducktales pre-installed. The new gaming controller includes voice commands and search like the traditional Fire TV remote, plus access to Alexa, up to 90 hours of battery life that use AA batteries, and an audio headphone jack.

[​IMG]

With a launch date of October 5, both bundles of the new Fire TV can be pre-ordered beginning today, with the traditional Amazon Fire TV retailing at $99 and the Amazon Fire TV Gaming Edition going for $139. The company also introduced a new bundle of the Fire TV Stick for $49 that now includes the voice remote, which will begin shipping on October 22.

Article Link: Amazon Debuts New Fire TV with 4K Video & Alexa Voice Assistant

2. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

On the tech side this sure beats the new Apple TV. Guess time will tell how the softwares and content match up.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

By the time I own a 4K TV (at least a year or two off), I'm sure Apple will have a 4K version of their new Apple TV. I have no problem buying a 1080p Apple TV when it's release in October.

4. nozebleed macrumors 6502

well, that pretty much sums up which device i will get.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Before all the new ATV haters get too excited: It doesn't mention specific HDMI version support, and specifically says it's limited to "2160p up to 30fps."

So, no 4K at 60fps, and no HDR - both features of HMDI 2.0.

Most likely this does not support HDMI 2.0, and isn't "really" 4K in the sense of taking advantage of the features of a 4K tv other than only the resolution.

6. Saucesome2000 macrumors 6502

Saucesome2000

I love my Amazon Fire TV and it has replaced my Apple TV as my primary device for streaming shows and movies. Especially since I jailbroke it and added XBMC. I will not own a 4K tv any time soon. My 55" 1080p Samsung is fantastic. Alexa seems like a neat upgrade, but other than that, my current Fire TV works extremely well.

7. kcirtap00 macrumors regular

This is what the new Apple TV should have been. At the price it should have been.

8. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Since Amazon already streams 4K it's no surprise. It's great that's it should have HDMI 2.0. I been streaming some 4K from Amazon on my Vizio from a smart app. This might add more 4K options.

9. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

10. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Software and content aside, though those are very very important, I don't think this beats the new ATV at all. They both have pluses and minuses.

ATV has a better GPU, offers more storage, has a simpler and more clever remote, supports HDMI-CEC.

FireTV supports a higher resolution, allows expandable storage, and has a first-party optional controller for more money.

I don't think one is clearly superior on the tech side of things. They are about even in most ways, and merely different in some others.

11. cariacou macrumors 6502a

cariacou

I think I will just keep my apple tv3 for AirPlay and get the new fire tv for the voice assistant.
    At least it can search through Amazon prime shows too

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I agree with this sentiment. That said, as an iOS device user, features like Airplay and Home Sharing edge the Apple Tv to win out.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Shame the TV stick went up in price so much in the UK, makes it less tempting.

14. hkenneth macrumors regular

There is any 4k Bluray for mainstream movies or TV shows?

15. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Alexa support is nice, but where this will still fall down is App support, the Amazon ecosystem cannot compare to Apple's
    and the Apps make the Device. 4K support is hedgy, I see nothing here to make me not buy the ATV and I already own the current FireTV

16. levitynyc macrumors 65816

This just kills the new ATV and it's cheaper.

Sorry Apple, but you lose this round.

17. UndefinedxJoker macrumors newbie

UndefinedxJoker

Oh stop apologizing for Apple. There is no excuse as to why they shouldn't have included 4K in what is supposed to be "the future of tv". They are stingy just like they have 16GB iPhone and have outdated iPads yet still charge full price for them.

18. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

The spec just got finalized in May. Players are now being announced.

19. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Unless you want AirPlay and are in the iTunes ecosystem.

Choice is good.

20. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I really don't see Amazon making an Amazon Instant Video app for the new Apple TV. They are too interested in offering their own set top box.

21. cardfan macrumors 68000

Apple tv will have amazon soon enough with app store. I don't have any reason to get 4k just yet but it's getting closer. Apple tv wins if you have idevices and you're in the ecosystem. Otherwise, get something else.

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I'm not apologizing for anyone; I have nothing to apologize for.

There is more to 4K than just 2160p resolution. Had Amazon released a device that supported full HDMI 2.0 spec, with 2160p at 60fps, and one or more of the several competing HDR standards, then that would be a truly 4K-ready streaming device. It isn't though because it doesn't have those things.

I choose to spend my money at the company that releases complete products at the right time, rather than half-baked products just to brag about a lone spec number.

23. nutmac macrumors 601

Or Apple add 4K now and you won't have to buy another one when you upgrade your TV. Meanwhile, those of us with 4K can enjoy 4K as well.

24. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

That extra $10 is sure breaking your bank, man

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

You mean the round that hasn't even begun yet?