Amazon Debuts New Fire TV with 4K Video & Alexa Voice Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2015.

1. cardfan macrumors 68000

Are you kidding? Amazon will have an app out asap. They want people buying Prime.

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

You can use AirPlay with The Fire.

There are several apps for it.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Amazon is interested in selling Prime subscriptions. The entire Kindle and Fire lines for them are pretty much loss leaders to get people into the ecosystem and into a renewing prime subscription. They don't make money off the hardware, they make money off the subscription and the stuff you buy using that subscription. Since releasing an app on tvOS helps them sell more Prime subscriptions, they will do that.

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 65816

FightTheFuture

I own an Amazon Fire TV and it is NOT the "future of tv." Making it 4K won't change anything either. Not saying Apple TV will rule the pack but it's already getting software support (MLB, Disney Infiinity for example) that the other set top boxes lack.
    Could be because they don't offer 4K content on iTunes? Sharp just announced an 8K TV on Monday - does that mean all the 4K TVs are out of date?

5. kcirtap00 macrumors regular

Its an extra $50.

6. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Great first post /s

7. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

They're always awful for video when I've tried. I have a Fire Stick, and the Airplay apps are crummy as hell (The last I tried was AirReceiver and the audio falls out of sync and the video gets choppy/laggy). If you have a recommendation I'll try it.

Overall in my testing, AirPlay for video works much better on an Apple TV - flawless in fact. Audio seems to be ok on Android receiver apps but not great (I've also tried sending audio to Kodi on a Raspberry Pi, but it's flaky at best).

8. npmacuser5, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

All the contenders Streaming Boxes compared to other devices, phones, tablets, etc, are great bargains. We buy (x?) $600 phones every two years or sooner, then complain loudly about a device that provides lots of entertainment for $200 or less. We are unique thinkers are we not. I have both Fire TV and Apple TV for the benefits each provides.

9. jkestner macrumors newbie

An Apple TV that can play Amazon Video and Plex will replace my Roku. I think many are underestimating how opening it up to iOS-based apps is going to transform the market. I can't imagine wanting to interact much with my TV, but I know there are some smart iOS devs out there who will come up with something great.

10. Timmo78 macrumors newbie

I really wish the landscape of MfI controllers wasn't so dire... Amazon's controller bundle is a good move. I fear the controller situation of the Apple TV will cripple it on this measure.

Here's hoping Apple are investing in some serious controller tech, with the ergonomics worthy of a serious gamers attention.

11. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

You'll also have to buy a new Fire TV when it supports 4K video - this one doesn't.

But you were fooled. I guess that's what Amazon marketing does, put in half-baked things, but tricks people into thinking they're the real deal.

12. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

The Hori and Steelseries mfi gamepads look worthy enough.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Someone will make a boy-band app which shows all the latest news videos, tv appearances, youtube videos, etc. about their favorite boy band. Thousands of teenage girls will buy an Apple TV just for that.

14. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I sold all my ATV's for Fire devices and never looked back. There is not a single thing you can do on ATV that can't be done faster and better with Fire TV.

I also have several Amazon Echo units that use Alexa. Even though I am using this USA only device in the UK it's still brilliant.

Apple are playing second fiddle at the moment.

15. philfry macrumors regular

I have a fire tv and the new Apple TV can't come out soon enough for me. The only upside is I can install Kodi on the fire tv but it is so buggy. I have to reboot it every other day because wifi can't keep up so video files need to buffer every 2 minutes. Also, the audio will get very tinny and high pitched so need to reboot to fix that issue as well. Maybe that is what it's like running android. I just want my Apple TV to be stable. My ATV 3 can play videos through Plex Connect and it never needs rebooted.

16. JoeShades macrumors 6502a

Airplay and home sharing, Only way to view local content on Amazon as far as i know is PLex and that just does not work for me

17. UnfetteredMind macrumors 6502

UnfetteredMind

They added Dolby Atmos to the new FireTV box so that's something. I'm still waiting for *someone* to support DTS on a streamer. Been adding that as an additional audio track (standard DTS, not DTS-MA) on BluRay encodes for awhile now for movies/shows that have DTS tracks. This may not be that important for the living room, but will be more important later when we finish the basement and have a more dedicated A/V room (hopefully within a few years).

18. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I just want to know if Amazon Prime Video is coming to the new Apple TV. Oh and I also want to know why Apple refuses to take gaming seriously. But that is the question of the ages.

19. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I air play to my fire TV all the time. I use Plex so don't need home sharing.

20. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

N
    Never had a Kodi issue with mine. No buffering issues.

21. H2SO4 macrumors 601

It doesn’t matter whose lips it comes from now, but simply hearing the word innovation is really beginning to p*** me off.

22. H2SO4 macrumors 601

All Eggs in one basket? No thanks. I have a good quantity of Apple devices but I certainly wouldn’t do that.

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Sorry but it's so obvious the next Apple TV update will have 4K

iPhone 6S shoots with it yet apple's own device can't support it

I don't need an Apple TV, my PS4 has everything plus a little streaming service called VUDU

24. Chris Meyers macrumors newbie

Chris Meyers

OK I had to respond to this garbage because this is like the 4th time this nonsense has been uttered by this person. 1) IT IS infact 4K. FPS has absolutely nothing to do with resolution. 2) If you were streaming FILMS, which is what 99% of people with steamers do, then it wouldnt matter a whit with 60 fps, because almost every film ever made for the past 100 years is 24 FPS. And you absolutely WOULD NOT want a player that upconverts that to 60 hz because it would look like garbage. So to summarize, YES its 4K and yes if youre watching movies youd get no better experience with 60 fps

25. jdillings macrumors 68000

Toldja the new Apple TV would be outdated before it was even released. I wonder if Roku's Roku 4 4k box will make it out before the release of the new Apple TV.