Amazon Headquarters -- What's Your Guess?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zipur, Jan 18, 2018.

1. zipur macrumors 6502a

zipur

• Amazon says it has narrowed the list of places for its second headquarters to 20
      • Atlanta
      • Austin, Texas
      • Boston
      • Chicago
      • Columbus, Ohio
      • Dallas
      • Denver
      • Indianapolis
      • Los Angeles
      • Miami
      • Montgomery County, Md.
      • Nashville, Tenn.
      • Newark, N.J.
      • New York City
      • Northern Virginia
      • Philadelphia
      • Pittsburgh
      • Raleigh, N.C.
      • Toronto
      • Washington, D.C.
    Interesting that they even want 2 HQ's. Also interesting that Texas has two slots. If they go with a no state tax locations that will help.

My guess/pick is Raleigh NC. That state is booming and they have to go with and East Coast location. Raleigh has a good airport surrounded by colleges. ATL & NJ bad airports. 2nd Virgina and Miami 3rd..It has not state taxes!

What do you think

2. 0007776 Suspended

I would guess Toronto. That way they would have an option to insulate themselves from political instability in the US.

3. Mousse macrumors 68010

Mousse

Austin is a good choice: lots of skilled workers, low crime rate, practically zero natural disasters, good infrastructure.

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I read an article that determined Denver to be the best city in the U.S. using an algorithm composed of many factors (quality of life, affordability, climate, crime, etc.) so my guess is on Denver. I would love to see it go to a somewhat disadvantaged city like Newark, though.

5. deferredAnon macrumors 6502

deferredAnon

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

8. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The fact that all three DC metro proposals made the cut leads me to believe that one of those three (and possible more than one of them) will be the final pick. Bezos bought a house in DC for $23 million and now owns the Post, and each of the three DC metro area finalists seems to fit most of the criteria Amazon set out in the RFP (although good luck getting from anywhere in Montgomery County to an airport in 45 minutes during daylight hours).

9. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

I say Texas because of the tax breaks. Heck we have a few big companies that left the Los Angeles area recently for Texas.

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

And where the Whole Foods Headquarters are. Whom they just bought.

P.S. Congrats on whoever gets this. Sorry about your soon-to-be traffic. It is an absolute nightmare here in Seattle where their headquarters are.

11. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I guess I get that NYC is attractive, but if they were going to pick a NY location there was an essentially shovel-ready site across the river from Albany, NY that was submitted for the proposal. Lower wage expectations than NYC, there are a few tech colleges nearby and an airport 20 minutes away (though it's not easy flying there as it's not a hub).

12. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Well, you can scratch the folllowing off the list:

NYC
    LA
    DC
    Newark
    Maryland or Nova
    Indianapolis
    Dallas

Also sightly annoyed at the Toronto comment above. Ya know, if Canada has the same approach to immigration as the US (low skill, low income immigrants) you’d be singing a different tune. One advantage among others for Toronto is that engineering salaries are dismal, so Amazon could save some $$ on wages. I don’t think Toronto is likely though, but not off the list yet. Slightly more likely than Chicaco, though.

13. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Every state has state taxes, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

14. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Totally agree. I'm thinking the mix of geography (including weather), CoL, tech, infrastructure, expansion, air systems, plans points to Atlanta or Raleigh. Surprises for me (not in any kind of negative context) would be Columbus or Toronto.

15. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Maybe they were referencing "no State Income Tax", there are a couple of states that do not have state income taxes.

16. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502a

zipur

Bingo! No State income tax. Anyone moving there gets a built in pay increase.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Yeah you can pretty much go through and eliminate pairs. Austin or Dallas, for example. I don’t think Indy has a shot vs Columbus or Pittsburgh so I removed it.

Atlanta and Denver are both intriguing. I’m hoping for somewhere in the Midwest because I think it’s good to spread the wealth around.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2018 ---
    You can take Philly off the list too I’m thinking. The rest is a crapshoot.

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Our infrastructure is terrible. Austin won't be able to handle the traffic

19. zipur thread starter macrumors 6502a

zipur

Try driving around Atlanta.
    All these post and no conciseness.

20. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

The issues with Austin are geographic location, Whole Foods is already there, and I would guess a combination of housing costs/traffic. It’s not a bad choice, but I think it’s less likely than it’s given credit for.

21. Clix Pix, Jan 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2018

Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'm inclined to agree for the reasons mentioned above, plus the fact that employees could live anywhere in the region and still be reasonably close to work, regardless of where the actual facility winds up being built. There are three major commercial airports which serve the area: Reagan National, in Alexandria, VA, just across the river from DC; Dulles International Airport, about an hour's drive from DC; and in Maryland, Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), which is just outside of Baltimore (just over an hour's drive from DC). There are also a couple of smaller regional airports. There is public transportation, including a subway system and bus lines within the city and the close-in suburbs, with also a train system (VRE) which goes further south into the further-out suburbs. There are major highways connecting the suburbs to each other and to DC. There is a large percentage of the workforce which is highly educated, as well as a need for increased employment opportunities for everyone in the region, and of course also the federal government is right there in DC as well (which could provide access for lobbying). Several universities and also community colleges in the area, so educational opportunities are available. Cultural activities available, too, both in the city itself and in the suburbs. In both Montgomery County (MD) and Northern Virginia (Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun Counties), especially in the latter two counties, there are areas which have not yet been built up so that there is land available for developing and constructing whatever kind of campus they would choose.

All that said, things are not quite as rosy and glowing as might be first thought from what I've written above. Traffic conditions are increasingly congested and there are significant problems with the Metro subway system. Housing is expensive in the region, which could be an issue for some employees looking to move here from the current Seattle headquarters. Weather conditions: pleasant autumns and springtimes, sometimes mild winters, sometimes snowy and cold ones; summers are usually pretty hot and very humid.

It's going to be really interesting to see just what location Amazon does choose in the end!

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Nope. Austin is growing too fast for the local government. Period. Sorry it hurts your feelings.

23. Joe h macrumors regular

Likely Chicago, since they already meet all of amazon’s must have, but I can also see Indianapolis getting it.

24. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Chicago is a maybe but a long shot. No way Indianapolis gets it.