Amazon Inks Deal to Sell New Apple Products Like iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and 2018 iPad Pro

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon and Apple have reached an agreement that will see Amazon selling an expanded selection of iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch devices through its online storefronts in the United States, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Japan, and India, reports CNET.

In the near future, Amazon will offer its customers the Apple latest devices, which includes the new 2018 iPad Pro models, the iPhone XR, the iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple Watch Series 4 models, the 2018 Mac mini, and a selection of Beats headphones. The products will be available through Apple-authorized resellers on Amazon's marketplace.

[​IMG]

Certain Apple products will not be included on Amazon's site, such as the HomePod, which directly competes with Amazon's line of Echo devices.

In a statement provided to CNET, Amazon said that it added Apple products because it's always aiming to improve the customer experience.
    At the current time, many Apple products are not available on Amazon's site or are sold through unreliable third-party marketplace sellers at non-standard prices. With the new agreement, Apple devices will be available at regular retail prices.

Independent sellers who offer new and used Apple products on Amazon will have their listings removed after January 4, 2019, under the new deal. Those sellers will need to apply to become Apple authorized resellers on Amazon to continue to offer their wares.

As CNET points out, while this deal will provide customers with access to a greater selection of Apple products at standard prices, it could potentially impact the used Apple device market on the platform.

Article Link: Amazon Inks Deal to Sell New Apple Products Like iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and 2018 iPad Pro

2. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

BEYSWOOOOSEEEEEEE! Going to really hurt Best Buy Online.

3. odedia macrumors 65816

4. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

5. WBRacing, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

Unless they are (decently) cheaper, which I doubt they will be, I'd sooner buy direct from Apple.

6. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

7. now i see it macrumors 68020

That's good because trying to order an iPhone on Apple's website always crashes Safari (or any browser) on my phone. I can't order one from my iPhone (but I can order a Mac). Way to go apple.

image.jpeg

8. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Typical Amazon offering: Also available from these sellers... $2,599 + $249 shipping.

9. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

Great move by them, have Amazon be the one stop shop for everything

Hopefully Prime shipping is available

10. DrJohnnyN Suspended

DrJohnnyN

11. Terrinb macrumors member

Some people might want the Amazon points.

12. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Somewhere in a darkened windowless (as well as soulless) room, Cook and Bezos and their respective legal teams are awkwardly high-fiving each other.

13. LordCoe13 macrumors regular

LordCoe13

Apple's return policy is 14 days while Amazon is a generous 30 days. Will that be the case with Apple products as well? May be a better buy through Amazon if you're not sure on a product...

14. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm a bit torn. I like open access to markets but I also am wary about sketchy third party sellers. I know they have the reputation system but it strikes me there has to be a better way to accomplish this. I don't have any ideas on what that better way may be though.

15. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Most Apple products have always been available for sale on Amazon, and many still won't be for sale on Amazon after this.

The change is you would be buying the products from Apple or an authorized reseller, rather than from some no name Miami-based warehouse that may or may not be selling stolen products. It will also eliminate a lot of the price gouging that goes on.

16. w5jck macrumors member

w5jck

A couple of years ago I bought my MBP 15" Retina on Amazon. I got it for $100 less than Apple, and delivered more quickly too for free. I assumed Amazon already sold most of the newer Apple thingies, but I guess they didn't. I'm glad Amazon will now be selling more of Apple products.

17. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

This is the better way. Read the article from the top.

18. bbednarz macrumors 6502

bbednarz

Why not just use the Apple app? Super fast and easy.

19. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

Most Apple thingies are already sold on Amazon. People read the article.

20. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

I can sense how bad these apple products are selling

21. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

In what way?

22. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I wasn't clear but that's what I'm torn about. I don't necessarily like that independent resellers will be removed unless they become official Apple partners. Plus side is we don't have (as much) sketchiness but the down side is I think small sellers need access to major marketplaces like this.

23. AngerDanger, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'd like to see that.

[​IMG]

24. KrispE00 macrumors regular

True. 5% back on a $1400 iPhone would be nice!

25. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

Good, take out all the trash (3rd party sellers). My girlfriend bought her mom a "certified refurbished" 6S+ from a 3rd party seller and the screen was very scratched among other issues. She was able to return it through Amazon thankfully. There are so many unwitting customers who have no idea and just assume because it's on Amazon, it's good quality and from a reputable seller. 100% agree with this move, don't feel bad at all for shady 3rd party sellers. Do it the right way and get authorized.