Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has quietly launched a new web app called "Kindle Cloud Reader" that allows Chrome and Safari users to access their Kindle eBooks through their browsers. The Cloud Reader also supports the iPad version of Safari, giving Amazon a workaround to Apple's new subscription rules requiring any in-app sales to go through Apple's purchasing system.

As noted by TechCrunch, the new system is already live at http://read.amazon.com and works quite well on the iPad:
The iPad version is especially good because the store is fully optimized for the device. And you can easily switch back and forth between the store and your own library. It feels like a native app, but it's not.
The web app even supports local storage so that you can read your Kindle books even without a web connection.

Apple has been at odds with many content providers after implementing their new subscription rules preventing native iOS app publishers from selling content outside of Apple's own in-app system. Amazon complied with the rules by removing the Kindle Store button from their native application, but for the iPad now has this web-based option that does directly integrate with their sales system.

Article Link: Amazon Launches a Web-Based iPad Kindle Reader

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
That's quite cool, I guess, but can't people just download the app? Why wouldn't an iPhone user simply go to the app store?

EDIT: Perhaps the app isn't available in their country?

Looks really nice, but doesn't work for me. I've only got this book on my iPhone, I know I can have it on more than two devices.

Last edited by a moderator:

tintifax3k

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
caching

hmmm, can you cache a book locally on the app? if not nobody can read on a plane....

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Seems like a pretty brilliant use of the latest HTML5 technologies (especially with the off-line functionality). The obvious benefit, as mentioned, would be getting around Apple's "give us 30% of the price for in-app purchases" rule; but it would seem to have other advantages as well. If Apple chose to dramatically change the API in a future release of iOS - or if Google did the same with Android, for that matter - Amazon wouldn't have to break a sweat. Kindle users would continue to have full access to their books on the iPad with no extra effort or feverish overtime work by their programers to update. It's not as if Apple or Google can remove HTML5 functionality without repercussions...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Stuff like this shows how useful HTML5 can be. I'm pleased to see things like this myself, great work from Amazon.

Looking forward to see more things like this powered by HTML5.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Crucial is offline functionality; easy to Be testet. If that works its pritty cool and gives back some competition.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Stuff like this shows how useful HTML5 can be. I'm pleased to see things like this myself, great work from Amazon.

Looking forward to see more things like this powered by HTML5.
Since it's HTML5, it's a bit like Amazon beat Apple at their own game with this. :D

And it really does serve Apple right for the terms they enacted. It's also a good move should Apple decide to become even more anti-competitive with their App Store terms.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Fight fire with fire.

Nice work Amazon. It even utilizes the swipe left and right to move pages. If you use it with icab, or place it on your homescreen in Safari, you can go fullscreen, basically emulating the app.

Last edited:

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Tried on iPad with ios5. Keeps crashing Safari. No full screen option.

I found the crashing stopped after the syncing was finished(took a few minutes on 3g)

Full screen is accomplished after making a homescreen shortcut

totalimba

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Tried on iPad with ios5. Keeps crashing Safari. No full screen option.

In order to use the app in full screen mode you need to add Kindle Cloud Reader to the Home Screen.
However it does crash a lot on iOS5.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Seems like a pretty brilliant use of the latest HTML5 technologies (especially with the off-line functionality). The obvious benefit, as mentioned, would be getting around Apple's "give us 30% of the price for in-app purchases" rule; but it would seem to have other advantages as well. If Apple chose to dramatically change the API in a future release of iOS - or if Google did the same with Android, for that matter - Amazon wouldn't have to break a sweat. Kindle users would continue to have full access to their books on the iPad with no extra effort or feverish overtime work by their programers to update. It's not as if Apple or Google can remove HTML5 functionality without repercussions...

That would bhe a hoot, given Apple's view that HTML5 would be the death of flash.

I wonder though, if everyone buys there books like this, will Apple throw Kindle App out of the App store out of spite?

It's entertaining all this tit-for-tat.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
That would bhe a hoot, given Apple's view that HTML5 would be the death of flash.

I wonder though, if everyone buys there books like this, will Apple throw Kindle App out of the App store out of spite?

It's entertaining all this tit-for-tat.

No, because this is where antitrust laws would kick in. You can't delete a compliant app just based on spite.

onetoescape

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
This is brilliant you have 2 companies trying to out do each other and so they end up pushing each other for the better. Cant wait to see what this Amazon tablet brings and then how Apple responds.

stationgrey

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Looks very good.

Good to see people like the Financial Times and now Amazon taking advantage of HTML5's caching features for a proper offline experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.