Apps Amazon prime app eta.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I honestly wouldn't expect it until the fall (although I hope I'm wrong).

Comment

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Last news I saw mentioned "third quarter" this year, so that would put it within the next 60 days or so.
I have not seen that. Do you have a link? I only heard Tim say later this year an no other official comments. My guess is around iOS 11 release since no real reason it could not be done any time so maybe just waiting for another big announcement.

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have not seen that. Do you have a link? I only heard Tim say later this year an no other official comments. My guess is around iOS 11 release since no real reason it could not be done any time so maybe just waiting for another big announcement.
From here:

Amazon employees expect the app to show up on Apple’s hardware in the third quarter of the year.

Comment

bigpatky

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
I just hope they don't make it ATV5 only. Not that I am saying they would do this, but I hope they don't! Of course if a new ATV is announced I will most likely pick it up!
If I'm remembering right, it was announced for ATV3 and ATV4. No mention of it being exclusive to an unannounced future model.

Comment

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I bet it'll be out before the NFL season begins. Amazon Prime Video has exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night games starting in September. My guess is that they won't want to piss off a bunch of Apple TV owners who want to watch those games!

Comment

mallbritton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2006
I bet it'll be out before the NFL season begins. Amazon Prime Video has exclusive streaming rights to Thursday night games starting in September. My guess is that they won't want to piss off a bunch of Apple TV owners who want to watch those games!
In all fairness, Amazon is streaming only 11 Thursday night games and they will be available to watch in other steaming apps as well. The Prime Video app for Apple TV will probably be released on or before 28 Sept. which is the date of the first streaming game.

Comment

besler3035

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
In all fairness, Amazon is streaming only 11 Thursday night games and they will be available to watch in other steaming apps as well. The Prime Video app for Apple TV will probably be released on or before 28 Sept. which is the date of the first streaming game.
Usually the Thursday games are blacked out, at least they were on Vue's NFL Network feed last season. I'd expect something similar. And for those of us without the local NBC and CBS channels via an OTT service...this kinda rocks.

Comment

mallbritton

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2006
Usually the Thursday games are blacked out, at least they were on Vue's NFL Network feed last season. I'd expect something similar. And for those of us without the local NBC and CBS channels via an OTT service...this kinda rocks.
That was perhaps because PS Vue did not have the rights to stream the games. I don't know. If you look here <http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2017/TNF> you'll see that the Thursday night games will be available from a variety of sources, that include Amazon Prime.

I do agree with you that the more sources we have the better. I'm fortunate that I can just switch over to my antenna and watch the game OTA if I need to.

Comment

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
So I guess the idea that Amazon would be available for the start of the NFL season is now off the table lol.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Still don’t understand why this took this long to do. They could’ve ported their iOS app over a long time ago.

Reactions: mallbritton
Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple TV is a competitor to their own products, that's the reason.
And Roku isn’t???

They should’ve followed the leader in streaming:Netflix
Don’t waste time/money on development of a set top box. Just get your app on every device.

Reactions: Snoopy4
Comment

tanfan

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2015
And Roku isn’t???

They should’ve followed the leader in streaming:Netflix
Don’t waste time/money on development of a set top box. Just get your app on every device.

Roku doesn't run a proprietary service like itunes. They stand neutral and allow all apps. This is why they have all of them except Apples offering. Itunes is the only movie/tv app that is ONLY on it's own box. This is why it has taken this long for Apple to allow any competing apps on the the Apple tv...even now neutered apps is the best you will see.

Comment

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
This is why it has taken this long for Apple to allow any competing apps on the the Apple tv...even now neutered apps is the best you will see.
Not sure where you got this. Apple has allowed all Apps since the Apple TV 4 was release with an App Store. Much like on the iPhone and iPad. Maybe even before but there would have need to be much more cooperation from Apple.

Comment