Amazon Prime going up to $119 a year

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by max2, Apr 27, 2018.

?

Will you stay with Amazon Prime after it goes up to $119 a year?

1. No

2. Yes

3. Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. max2
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

2. shinji
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, I'm sticking with it.

If you're a frequent Amazon shopper, you do get your money's worth, especially if you're also using Prime Video. And I'm not sure how to value the free same day/1 day shipping on many items because nobody else really offers it, but that's a nice benefit, too.

3. BigMcGuire
    Expand Collapse
    Contributor

BigMcGuire

I thought I was already paying $120/year. lol. I use Amazon Prime monthly several times, Amazon Prime TV actually has a lot of good offerings these days, and love the unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos (live photo compatible). Sure, take an extra $20/year, works for me.

4. bradl
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes. Our membership automatically renews next month anyway, so we'll be grandfathered in at the $99 rate anyway. That with Amazon Video, Music, plus prime shipping makes it a no-brainer.

Hell, we ordered a ringlight for our live videos a couple of weeks ago, on Prime. They didn't meet the 2-day shipping that Prime was supposed to guarantee (in actuality, it took 6 business days). Once we received it, they refunded us back the full amount of the ringlight: a $120 value.

That paid for Prime alone if we had to renew. So yes, definitely sticking with it.

BL.

5. smallcoffee
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

This.

The customer service is good, even though they’ve been having shipping problems recently in my experience.

6. Zenithal
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Oh, yes, we will. Prime is a fantastic deal for us. Even if it were $400 a year, we'd still see it pay itself off within months. I've grown accustomed to Amazon's incredible support staff and their habit of "mothering" by checking in on how things are going after an issue weeks and months later to see if you're happy with the outcome.

7. maflynn
    Expand Collapse

maflynn

Staff Member

Like most people, I'll grumble about the price, but I'll suck it up and I'll just pay it.

8. Huntn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Huntn

I assume that Amazon’s Prime Video is just the selection of freebies they offer if you are a Prime member.

9. eltoslightfoot
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

eltoslightfoot

This. sigh.... I am with you. The worst part is we only use the shipping...but it is still so nice.

10. max2
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68020

The only disadvantage I see is sometimes shipping is 3 days and not 2 days.

11. Huntn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

Huntn

Last I checked, the amount you needed for free shipping without Prime was $35. I wonder if that went up too?

12. shinji
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

shinji

Yeah, all the free movies and TV shows. Some great original series too, like Man in the High Castle.

13. millerj123
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Yeah, it's still worth it for us. I'll also grumble, though.

14. Starship67
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Starship67

2nd star to the right and straight on til morning
    Dont subscribe and won't subscribe. I shop amazon very very little so not worth it to me.

15. ipponrg
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

It's an extra $1.67 per month for fast shipping. Given how often I and others on my account order from Amazon, it's still worth it. And yeah, their customer service is A++.

16. Nilhum
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Nilhum

I still get the student discount at just $50 a year somehow. Though, if I had to pay $120 it would be fine as I use Amazon quite a bit and watch prime videos more the Netflix now.

17. bradl
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

bradl

If we weren't already getting a good deal, I'd be of two minds for it. While I understand the content and the need for supplying it and the costs for it, I could understand the grumbling about the price going up. That is a valid point and some may not be able to afford that.

On the other side of that, one of my current portfolios currently has two of the FANG tech stocks in it; Amazon is one of them. So I'm torn.

Either way, I still refer back to my previous post. We renew next month automagically anyway, so we'll have an extra year at the $99 rate. For those on the bubble for getting Prime, I would suggest pulling the proverbial trigger on it now and get locked in before paying the additional $20 when it kicks in on May 11th.

BL.

18. aakshey
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

aakshey

In India, Amazon India Prime is USD 15 per year. Including Videos and Music.

19. velocityg4
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I really hate that I have to subsidize the video and music services. I'd love it if they had a shipping only option. There aren't any realistic alternatives and I use it too often to cancel. If they keep reducing the free 2-day shipping benefits I'll cancel. More often a Prime item doesn't show up in two days, is an Add On Item or the biggest BS Prime Pantry. If something is Prime Pantry only. I don't buy it.

Heck, I'd happily pay $120 for a shipping only option. If all Pantry items were upgraded to standard Prime and the Add On Item requirements were dropped. I might even go higher if there was better price parity between Prime and Walmart/Costco for food, baking supplies and other sundries. Also Prime and non-Prime sellers.

Since at least five or six orders are made a month and the majority are Prime items. It's still cheaper than paying for two day shipping.

20. designs216
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

designs216

Righto. I'll ride that discount myself for another year.

21. TPadden
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Yep, but I dropped Kindle Unlimited and joined 2 free Kindle book libraries.

22. DipDog3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

DipDog3

I already canceled my Prime renewal, so ends in about a month. I’ll see if I can survive without it.

Canceling Amazon is really confusing, they try to make you think you are canceling that day when in reality your membership will continue until your renewal date. Very deceitful tactics by Amazon.

23. mikzn
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

mikzn

I use prime TV and video a lot - makes it worth the extra 20$ bump for me. Have been using apple for music but will make any new video and music purchases with Amazon going forward.

24. Volusia
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Volusia

As cord cutters we utilize the streaming service a lot. We are also starting to use Amazon for household products (paper towels, toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc). Many of these items are available through the Prime service. The convenience of having these items delivered is great, and, in many cases, save some money. Shopping now means doing your own check out, bagging, packing, carrying, then bringing into the house, etc. Now items are delivered to the front porch and we bring them in, in a box versus a torn up plastic baggie, and put them away.

25. Zenithal
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Living where we do, we're able to take advantage of all that Amazon offers.