Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, Amazon removed all Apple TV and Chromecast product listings from its website because the devices do not offer its Prime Video streaming service, which the online retailer said may cause confusion for customers. Nearly a month later, the new Apple TV remains unavailable on Amazon, but that could soon change.

Apple-TV-Amazon-Prime-Video.jpg

Amazon appears to have confirmed to engineer Dan Bostonweeks that it is developing a tvOS app for Prime Video that could launch before the end of 2015. "Hopefully, within a few weeks span, you will be able to see the Amazon Instant Video app feature on your Apple TV," the company purportedly said in an email.
I sent feedback to Amazon via the Amazon Instant Video iOS app about supporting tvOS. They say it's in development. pic.twitter.com/52fYUgtgNs - Dan Bostonweeks (@danimal) November 28, 2015
Apple was wrongly criticized by some in October for seemingly not allowing Prime Video on the new Apple TV, but shortly after the company provided a statement to BuzzFeed News emphasizing that "all are welcome" on the platform -- Amazon simply had not submitted a Prime Video app for the tvOS App Store.
Apple tells BuzzFeed News that "all are welcome" on its new Apple TV platform. But Amazon -- which recently purged Apple TV from its store -- doesn't have a Prime Video app in the Apple TV App Store. And as of a few days ago, it hadn't submitted one.
Amazon told BuzzFeed News it "doesn't have anything to share" on the topic at the time, but it now appears the company is actively developing a tvOS solution. Amazon Video allows Prime members to instantly stream tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes, with hundreds of thousands of titles available to buy or rent.

Amazon Video for iOS is free on the App Store and accessible by Amazon Prime members. The service is also available on Android, Fire OS, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, the web and select TV and Blu-ray players from LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Vizio.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video Coming to New Apple TV Possibly Within a 'Few Weeks'

Reactions: tonyr6 and Elbon

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
For people who lives oversea like us, do we need VPN or DNS service like Netflix?

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
This is great news, I may actually upgrade now (have ATV3 currently).

Next question for those who have the ATV4 and Logitech Smart/Hub Remote (which uses a RF remote along with a base unit that does IR and Bluetooth), how well does it work since the ATV4 doesn't currently allow BT keyboards? I may continue waiting to see if Apple supports these (although since the ATV4 remote is what allows voice control, it may be another remote that ends up on the coffee table anyway).

Reactions: Chung123

MacFanBoi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
No surprise there since Apple devices account for 60% of all hardware used for streaming services I believe I read somewhere.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

Last month, Amazon removed all Apple TV and Chromecast product listings from its website because the devices do not offer its Prime Video streaming service, which the online retailer said may cause confusion for customers. Nearly a month later, the new Apple TV remains unavailable on Amazon, but that could soon change.

Apple-TV-Amazon-Prime-Video.jpg

Amazon appears to have confirmed to engineer Dan Bostonweeks that it is developing a tvOS app for Prime Video that could launch before the end of 2015. "Hopefully, within a few weeks span, you will be able to see the Amazon Instant Video app feature on your Apple TV," the company purportedly said in an email.
Apple was wrongly criticized by some in October for seemingly not allowing Prime Video on the new Apple TV, but shortly after the company provided a statement to BuzzFeed News emphasizing that "all are welcome" on the platform -- Amazon simply had not submitted a Prime Video app for the tvOS App Store.Amazon told BuzzFeed News it "doesn't have anything to share" on the topic at the time, but it now appears the company is actively developing a tvOS solution. Amazon Video allows Prime members to instantly stream tens of thousands of movies and TV episodes, with hundreds of thousands of titles available to buy or rent.

Amazon Video for iOS is free on the App Store and accessible by Amazon Prime members. The service is also available on Android, Fire OS, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, the web and select TV and Blu-ray players from LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Vizio.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video Coming to New Apple TV Possibly Within a 'Few Weeks'

I wrote an email to Amazon's CEO few days ago regarding this and this is what I got......

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 172,542

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I would say I will believe that when I see it. Perhaps Amazon could try yanking someone else's chain for once lol.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
I ditched Prime. The bottom line is that I use it to get things sent to me on time, and Amazon is no longer capable of doing that. Their video offerings are sub-par anyway.

Lol. I have cancelled my prime subscription too. :p
Not gonna reactivate it

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is great, that eliminates my biggest problem with Apple TV. Now if they could do something about the touchy remote. I can't pick the thing up without bringing up the on screen display or scrubbing the playhead. Plus I always seem to get it upside-down unless I look at it.

Sakurambo-kun

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2015
UK
Well this would really be a shock if it happened. Amazon have managed to ignore the Chromecast for years, despite it achieving huge sales and having an open SDK and app store, and obviously Apple and Amazon's history is not a happy one.

It will be interesting to see what a Prime Video app on the Apple TV looks like. Will it use the standard Amazon Prime UI, or will it be a low budget TVML type thing consisting of a bunch of tiny thumbnails and text? And will it support Siri Voice Search (a real test of how well Apple and Amazon get on I imagine) and Top Shelf showcase?

Reactions: orbital~debris

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Good. As long as it arrives before the new Top Gear. Amazon always had the old Apple TV for a good price too, hopefully they can do the same for the new one.

Reactions: orbital~debris

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
UK prime members get video credits by using the 3-5 day no rush option. Usually £1.00 but as the moment £3.00 (do separate orders ie 5 items 5 orders = £15.00 credit)
This will help give you credits to watch movies on your apple TV

(Assuming its not itunes credit only allowed)

Last edited:

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
This is great, that eliminates my biggest problem with Apple TV. Now if they could do something about the touchy remote. I can't pick the thing up without bringing up the on screen display or scrubbing the playhead. Plus I always seem to get it upside-down unless I look at it.
For accidental scrubbing press menu and it will go back to where it was
For the upside down mistake get the remote loop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.