Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon Prime Video content no longer includes Dolby Vision HDR or Dolby Atmos surround sound on its ads-supported tier, which is included in all Amazon Prime memberships.

Amazon-Prime-Video-Feature.jpg

The news was first reported by German website 4KFilme and picked up by The Verge. Instead of the higher fidelity options previously enjoyed for no additional fee, Prime Video is streaming in HDR10 with Dolby Digital 5.1.

That is, unless you pay $2.99 extra for Prime Video's ad-free service, in which case you can retain the higher quality audio experience. The change was confirmed to The Verge by Amazon.

"Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos capabilities are only available on the ad free option, on relevant titles," said an Amazon spokesperson.

Most Prime Video viewers will be Amazon Prime members, which costs $14.99 per month, or $139 per year if you pay annually. Prime Video is also available as a $9.99-per-month standalone subscription, or $12.99-per-month if you add on the Dolby Vision HDR or Dolby Atmos surround sound surcharge. Ads were introduced across basic Prime Video subscriptions in the United States on January 29.

For comparison, Disney+ costs $9.99 with ads, while Netflix can be had for $6.99 per month with ads, although content is streamed in 1080p. Meanwhile, an Apple TV+ membership costs $9.99, up from the previous $6.99. Apple introduced the increase on October 25, but there are no limits on streaming quality.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Video's Ads Tier Loses Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos

Last edited:

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Cowards for not actually saying this on their website!

Edit: As annoying as price increases are this is just the reality with the maturing streaming business. My biggest issue is that they never mentioned losing Dolby Vision/Atmos in the email about the new fee. If they are going to add a new charge, at least be upfront about what you are paying for. Instead they waited until someone "noticed" and made an article about it. This is what makes me the most mad.

Last edited:

MrRom92

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2021
There should be a class action. People need to let them know that these rug pull changes to a service they were sold on are not acceptable. We let them get away with the ads, and they haven’t stopped. Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I cancelled prime after they started charging for ad free streaming. Their shipping speed has been slipping more and more over the last few years and half of the items are no longer available for two day shipping anyways. Looks like I made the right decision.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
And for everyone claiming “that’s wrong”, “misleading”, “sue them”, why would any service offer more for less? Why not jack their prices? Everyone seems to have disposable income. Patreon, OnlyFans, YouTube Plus, Apple TV, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and the list goes on and on, are raking up customers every day. Sure still all more affordable than a $200/mo DirecTV subscription (w/out extras such as HBO and MGM) but that’s the new norm. Prices go up, a handful people complain, but way many others will gladly pay to binge watch one series and not use the service for the next 11 months in the year.

People want change? People need to change. Stop subscribing, to begin with.

Last edited:

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Finally morphed into the cable companies they were meant to be better than and replace.

They really want lots of people to visit the high seas and bays again don't they 🏴‍☠️. And completely understandable why someone would cancel all Netflix/Amazon/Disney etc and just do it not just for a more 'simple' experience, in addition to saving money.

billykendall

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2007
Pittsburgh

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Stop blaming Amazon, NetFlix, Disney for price hikes/removing of features. They know exactly what they're doing since they got all the relevant data. And the data shows that people either dont care about stuff like this, dont even know about, or don't need it. These providers are just adapting to their users needs.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
You know what, screw streaming services. I have decided to go back to purchasing tv shows and movies on iTunes. It’s cheaper at this point.

The annoying thing is some shows / movies are exclusive to these services, but I can always just subscribe for that month if I really wanted to but usually I can’t be bothered.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Amazon can keep going further with their nickel and dime games. Let them and they will see their user base start shriveling away. I am still paying for Prime but I find that I am using Amazon less and less. I have a rekindled love for eBay. I also have been spending more on brick and mortar retailers e-commerce platforms. More of my purchases are being done through Sam’s Club, Costco, Target, CVS, Best Buy etc websites. The prices often rival Amazon, rewards and other perks can make them a better deal than Amazon.

Amazons digital services have always just been meh…. There are always other better streaming and cloud storage services. Amazon at one point was the holy grail of e-commerce now I am getting closer than ever to happily living in a world without them.

ashdelacroix

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2013
I know more and more people going back to the torrents because they are fed up with the fragmentation of content across multiple services. Companies are doing a vast bait-and-switch on consumers that is so substantial that we hardly think of it as bait-and-switch. Amazon starts ramping up the Prime subscription pricing on the basis that you get video and other perks, but they also play with the parameters to make you pay more for what you previously enjoyed as part of that increased subscription justification.

Companies are increasingly stating that prices rise "to bring you more value and so we can invest in better content and services", but they are also reducing their benefits in order to encourage additional subscriptions and creating all manner of price traps.

On top of that, Amazon in the UK has torturous customer care, which now makes it extremely difficult to chat with a real person. I couldn't believe how bad it has become, and one of the main perks of Amazon, for me, was that customer care was always very good. Now it is both very narrow and yet fiendish in its complexity. I hate it. As a customer since 2000, I am beginning to ponder walking away for good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.