Amazon Reveals 'Fire TV Cube' With Support for 4K, HDMI CEC, Dolby Atmos, Alexa Voice Controls, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today unveiled its latest "Fire" branded product, called the "Fire TV Cube." The company describes the device as a hands-free box that streams 4K Ultra HD video using Alexa voice controls. The set-top box appears to have many features similar (or coming soon) to the Apple TV 4K, with 4K HDR content, smart assistant integration, HDMI CEC, Dolby Atmos support, and more.

[​IMG]

With far-field voice recognition, one difference between the two devices is that the Fire TV Cube relies on eight microphones embedded into the box to hear users across the room, whereas Apple TV 4K picks up commands solely via the handheld Siri Remote. The Fire TV Cube does ship with an Alexa Voice Remote, however, so handheld commands are also an option.

The Fire TV Cube appears to be similar to HomePod in regard to far-field voice commands, with advanced beamforming technology that suppresses noise, reverberation, currently playing content, and competing voices from other people "to make sure Alexa clearly hears your request."
    Another notable difference is the Fire TV Cube's compatibility with set-top boxes from cable companies including Comcast, DISH, and DirecTV. With the integration, users can ask Alexa to "switch to channel 31" and the Fire TV Cube will speak to the cable box to initiate the command.

With HDMI CEC, users can power their TV sets on and off, with Amazon giving the following example of this interaction: "Even with the TV off, simply say 'Alexa, play Billions on SHOWTIME' and Fire TV Cube powers on your TV and starts playback right where you left off."

[​IMG]

Otherwise, the Fire TV Cube has a user interface that Amazon says puts "content forward" and is built around voice control. Commands include "Alexa, find sci-fi movies"; "Alexa, play the trailer"; and "Alexa, show me more results." Users can also initiate searches based on directors and actors.

Additionally, the company optimized Alexa responses for the big screen "with rich visual information," so users can view smart home camera feeds, check out the news, catch up with sports, look at the weather, and more after asking Alexa for each task.

The Fire TV Cube can be pre-ordered today and tomorrow for a special price of $89.99 (for Prime members only), and afterwards the device will cost $119.99. The Cube comes with 16GB of storage, a power adapter, IR extender cable, Ethernet adapter, Alexa Voice Remote, and will begin shipping out to customers on June 21. Anyone who buys the device and registers it by July 1 will get a $10 credit for Prime Video.

Article Link: Amazon Reveals 'Fire TV Cube' With Support for 4K, HDMI CEC, Dolby Atmos, Alexa Voice Controls, and More

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Sorry, no more HDMI ports on my TV. ;-)

3. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

I'll pass. Not an overly compelling offering.

4. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

5. Chaka Jon macrumors regular

Chaka Jon

I’d like to know if it has the capability to change channels through Alexa voice commands within TV streaming apps; DIRECTV NOW, YouTube TV, Hulu TV, etc.

6. Xavier macrumors 68030

7. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Amazon Prime Video is mostly geared toward kid’s entertainment. I know people who have little ones that love it. But, for me, there’s rarely anything that I’m interested in. On top of that, Amazon’s prime shipping has been really slow, lately. I’ve been shopping on Amazon a lot less. So far, I have no interest in the Alexa ecosystem. Which is why the Apple TV is still the winner. Even though it needs a complete overhaul. The Remote app sucks. Why can’t I see my music and playlists, like in the old iTunes remote app. But, I digress...no thanks, Amazon.
    Plus, it would just be confusing. I would call Alexa, Siri...and vice versa. Ugh! o_O:confused:

8. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

My Vizo TV has four ports but only HDMI 1 supports HDR so I bought this switch.

http://a.co/5zU1vAi

From amazon. Works great. I have my Xbox One S and Apple 4K attached. The Apple TV 4k is set to Dolby Vision as my TV supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision.

9. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Hm, good question. Maybe? For Hulu, Vue, and Sling TV at least. PR/Amazon page doesn't say specifically, but the wording could hint at this:

"Fire TV Cube lets you control your live TV hands-free whether it’s through your cable or satellite boxes; streaming apps like Hulu and PlayStation Vue..."

"Tune to live sports and the latest must-see TV shows through Fire TV Cube without cable or satellite service. Subscribe to apps like Hulu, PlayStation Vue, and Sling TV to access the live content you care about most."

10. elvisimprsntr, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I never use Siri on my Apple TV. I miss having my Xbox One hooked up in my living room with the Kinect and being able to control playback and more with my voice. If Apple would add a couple good microphones to the Apple TV I think it would be even more successful. Or if you could, at the very least, use the HomePod to control the Apple TV then it would be more useful. Or heck, even the iPhone or Apple Watch since they already have the remote integrated. Why can't I tell Siri to pause my "Living Room" TV? I've already named it that. Perhaps with Siri Shortcuts we'll be able to do this?

12. liberte1776 macrumors regular

13. Bswails macrumors regular

Doesn’t seem like it has Dolby vision either

14. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

That's a pretty sweet HDMI box. I gotta look into getting one of those. Actually don't need one, but still... need has never been a prerequisite for me buying neat tech.

15. elvisimprsntr macrumors 6502

--- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    Is there content available yet?

16. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Has the home screen been changed to only show apps and content I use or paid for. I hate seeing apps I have no use for which can’t be removed or advertising for content.

All I want to see is Netflix and Plex.

17. natevandam macrumors newbie

Does Thanos know Amazon is selling Tesseracts now?

18. mrow macrumors regular

This so much! I can’t stand the fact that Amazon mixes their free content with paid content. If I have to buy it/rent it, I don’t want to see it.

19. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Wasn’t there a full wall of popular content that Apple showed supporting it Monday?

20. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Note: only available in the US. Seemingly at the moment.

Apple will need a new "ATV 4K 2" to keep-up now.

21. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 68000

Oh, so on TOP of this costing within $30 of an Apple TV 4k, you have to have a monthly SUBSCRIPTION???

Plus, it's kinda fugly.

22. ELman macrumors member

Your right, American Playboy is good entertainment for kids.

23. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

Nothing about the subject of the thread itself, but that's a pretty interesting MacBook Pro they have in one of the pictures. Also, I've been looking around for a similar box, thanks for the link!

24. EdT macrumors 65816

EdT

If Amazon really wants to dig at Apple make it Airplay 2 compatible.

25. MacsRuleOthersDrool macrumors 68000

3 Ports? Insufficient, sorry. My HDMI switch has 4 Ports, and I could use another one.