Amazon Surpasses Apple and Google to Become World's Most Valuable Brand

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 11, 2019.

1. kyleh22 macrumors 6502

kyleh22

Wow, Amazon jumped 52% in one year. That's huge.

2. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

3. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Same can be said for Apple. Oh wait but it's totally okay since Foxconn isn't under Apple's brand...

4. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Interesting, a totally opposite experience for me - customer service has always been fast and very helpful, and quality is up to the product you buy. Definitely the best online retailer, from fast shipping, to customer service policies.

5. pika2000 macrumors 603

Alibaba and Tencent... TBH, they are actually to be reckoned with as they're pretty much on their way in conquering Asia behind the scenes, and the fact that they're in the top 10 while majority of people outside China/Asia probably don't even know them.

6. HurtinMinorKey macrumors 6502

I'll be surprised if Apple is still in the top 10 5 years from now. Definitely will be leapfrogged by MSFT by then.

7. netdoc66 macrumors regular

netdoc66

Not even. Nothing you said has been true for me so you must be living under a Black Cloud

8. trillionaire macrumors regular

trillionaire

9. ToneWilliamsUSA macrumors newbie

ToneWilliamsUSA

Let's see. Amazon provides it customers with pricing that usually is as good or better than its competitors, combining this with excellent service and innovative solutions. It's main fault is that Amazon could treat its employees better, but mainstream media and its (rich) shareholders apply little pressure to Bezos to work on that aspect of his business. Apple, on the other hand, has deviated from the very principles that Steve Jobs leveraged to dramatically increase market share and profitability: vision and innovation combined with services and products that gave its customer the best user experience possible for a modest premium. Today, Apple arrogantly gouges its customers, relying on insane profit margins and planned obsolescence to increase shareholder returns and maintain profitability, and has destroyed decades of goodwill that Jobs cultivated over his storied career. Once, Apple dared to fly a pirate flag over its campus, proud that it lead the personal computer revolution. Today, Apple has become yet another behemoth corporation espousing the conservative but greedy mindset that goes along with that, an instance of 1984 it once railed against. It comes as no surprise to me that Amazon is the stronger brand today, even though Apple benefits from a huge number of customers that are generally satisfied. Yet, these same customers just don't get it, don't demand excellence from Tim Apple. I, on the other hand, do. Why? Because I drank the Kool-Aid and for decades relished passion for (nearly) everything Apple. So, if I sound bitter, know it's because I know better. I know Apple can perform much better than it does today but chooses not to. I demand excellence from Apple. That's what differentiates it from the marketplace or, rather, once did. But there is hope. Cook will step down one day and perhaps the new regime will look back at what made Apple great, then return to its roots. I will be there cheering it on should that happen. Or sadly lamenting for what were the greatest moments in the technological revolution.

10. jerryk macrumors 601

Amazon is the biggest player in the high profitable cloud computing market. It's AWS business is larger than Microsoft Azure and Google GCS. With more and more companies moving to cloud infrastructure this ensures a bright future for these services, and a steady income stream with payments coming in every month.

11. repoman016 macrumors member

repoman016

Maybe its just me then. I know a couple people who work at amazon, and while they dont write home about how awesome it is, their pay is/was 3+ dollars more than their old job and they like it enough to have been there for several years.

Edit: It's like 15 years ago in college when people would work at UPS. They would complain how hot it was an how hard the work was, but they had tuition reimbursement and they pay wasn't half bad at the time.

12. Unity451 macrumors 6502

Unity451

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Side note:

I love being a ‘Prime member.’ Almost everything is shipped/delivered to me within one business day now versus two business days before. And honestly, I do think their customer service goes out of there way a little bit more to accommodate Prime members v.s. a non-Prime member, considering what Amazon charges for a Prime membership, they want to keep you loyal. My experience has been stellar with Amazon altogether. Good for them that they’re at the top.

14. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

You should give the same shoutout to Apple factory workers in much the same conditions.

15. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Well ok then, everyone is just ********ting then .... :-\

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’m not arguing that McDonald’s is healthy. I’m arguing that people choose to eat there.

No fast food eatery makes anyone anything.

McDonald’s having fatty garbage for sale makes me just as unhealthy as Kroger having salads for sale makes me healthy.

[​IMG]

17. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

Check out Microsoft with that 25% jump!

18. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

You've never worked in an Apple store.

19. Hustler1337, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

This. Amazon have got to the top by exploiting their workers at the bottom. Their service is great but what most customers don't realise is that behind the scenes they treat their workers and delivery drivers like something at the bottom of their shoe.

To them their workers and drivers are just numbers and are seen as disposable 'assets'. Poor working conditions at low-rate pay with little job-security all the while the customers innocently get their package the next day and Amazon puts a facade as to how great a company they are.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 11, 2019 ---
    Lol, Amazon are huge in a few European markets. Not sure whether to stereotype you as an American who thinks the world doesn't exist outside of the US.

20. Col4bin macrumors 68000

Col4bin

And Tim Cook's "iterative" Apple keeps on rolling.

21. TheSapient macrumors member

Well, Apple's value did go up.

Though I wonder how long Apple can prosper in a tech environment with both computers and phones being mature technologies.

22. LordVic Suspended

Probably as long as any other company in tech can.

As long as they don't price themselves out of the markets they're competing in

23. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

“Laugh you may at Apple’s plight. But overcharging for old kit works - as their shares show great might” W.Shakespeare

24. pianophile macrumors member

That's the ticket. Stick with Prime eligible, and you tend to have zero problems with Amazon.

25. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Nah bruv, it ain’t okay whoever’s exploiting who. It’s just my comment made for a snappy one liner relevant to the topic.