Amazon Wants 'Acceptable Business Terms' to Offer Prime Video on Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At Recode's Code Conference today, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos was asked why the online retailer does not sell either the Apple TV or Google Chromecast. Bezos reiterated that Amazon chooses not to sell video streaming devices that do not include Prime Video capability and that the company wants "acceptable business terms" before bringing the the app to devices.

[​IMG]
    When pressed by The Verge's Nilay Patel on whether "acceptable business terms" meant paying Apple's 30 percent cut on in-app purchases and subscriptions, Bezos declined to answer, only stating that he wanted to keep private business discussions private.

Amazon ceased selling the Apple TV and Google Chromecast last October, saying that it was important for Prime Video to interact with streaming devices it sells to avoid customer confusion. In November, Amazon confirmed to engineer Dan Bostonweeks that a Prime Video app was in development, with the company saying that it hoped to launch the app by the end of 2015.

While the app didn't launch for Apple TV, Amazon did debut a standalone Prime Video streaming service for $8.99 a month, allowing users to subscribe to the service without signing up for the annual $99 Amazon Prime bundle, which includes free shipping from the company's retail store, unlimited streaming music and more.

Amazon Prime Video for iOS is available in the App Store for free and accessible by Amazon Prime members. The service is also available on Android, Fire OS, Amazon Fire TV, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, Wii U, the web and select TVs and Blu-ray players from LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Vizio.

Article Link: Amazon Wants 'Acceptable Business Terms' to Offer Prime Video on Apple TV

2. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

Finally, after months of waiting an update on this topic.

3. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

Bezos wants it both ways. A thermostat isn't Chromecast.

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

The Prime video service on Android is still kind of weird last I checked. They market it as Amazon Underground because it needs side loaded or some crap. After picking up Amazon Underground App Store (from Amazons website) you can pick up the video streaming app.

Nothing official on Google Play at all.

5. benjitek, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Apple won't budge, others would demand the same. The only way Prime will ever wind up on AppleTV is from a constant flow of complaints by Amazon customers to Amazon that it isn't available...

I bought the new Roku Streaming Stick primarily for a Prime app -- the UI is so klunky that I prefer AirPlay casting from my iPhone.

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

I always stream Amazon prime video from the iOS app to my Apple TV.

One of the reasons I have the old Apple TV.

7. mrsteveman1 macrumors newbie

mrsteveman1

What "acceptable business terms" do they currently get on iOS (where the app is available now) that are not currently available to them on tvOS?

8. DavidMalcolm macrumors newbie

DavidMalcolm

This makes absolutely no sense. Shomi and CraveTV in Canada are both on Apple TV. All you do is open the app, and then type in a code on off the TV, in your browser with the service you use. It's clunky but it works.

9. gleepskip macrumors regular

gleepskip

Amazon seems to hire the absolute worst UI designers in the industry. They seem to take pleasure in producing interfaces that unnecessarily frustrate their users.

10. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

You know you can still AirPlay with the 4th gen AppleTV, right?

11. jessejarvi macrumors member

jessejarvi

Can't really understand how customers could expect that every piece of tech they buy from Amazon includes the Prime app, and then get disappointed and return it if not.

12. wozmatic macrumors 6502

wozmatic

LOL, grabbing my popcorn to watch how this deal goes down

13. AngerDanger, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Engineer 1: Bro, I dare you to develop a version of Prime Video that's compatible with the Nest.
    Engineer 2: Hahaha, screw you, dude.
    Engineer 1: I triple dog dare you.
    Engineer 2: …

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

This. I don't understand what the difference is.

I bought an Apple TV for the first time last month, expecting to have the Prime app. Was pretty disappointed to find out that it didn't. Come on, Amazon/Apple. Get going on this!

15. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I'm sure Amazon has lost a lot of customers to NetFlix since that has a player on AppleTV....

16. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I don't use Amazon products simply because they aren't very good save for their enterprise services and the reviews of products they sell that others create and sell on their site. Amazon should get the same terms as everyone else gets. They aren't special.

17. KPandian1 Suspended

The players from both Amazon and Apple are immature in their offers and characteristics to the general public today, in 2016. I will use neither because every single current product from TiVo offers better service than both these companies, OTA or cable. The bonus, I can record and stream!

18. glindon macrumors regular

glindon

It boils down to "we want to sign people up in app without Apple getting 30%." This is never going to happen. They could just as easily release the app where you're only option is to log in. Other apps do this. The other thing may be customer data but I'm not 100% sure as to what info Amazon can and not collect outside of what content they supply themselves.
    --- Post Merged, May 31, 2016 ---
    They'll never get me until they have a TV app. And even then...

19. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

People actually use the Prime video? I wish I could just subscribe to the Prime shipping and pay less. Dumping the video service and other junk services. The only reason I have Prime is for 2-day shipping. All the media that is included is a bunch of junk movies and TV shows I could care less about. Every once in a while I look to see if there is anything. All the good stuff you have to purchase.

As for purchasing why would I pay as much and often more for their low bitrate HD content rather than buying a much higher quality BluRay?

20. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

Trust me, Jeff. We're not confused. We just want Prime on AppleTV.

I have Prime for the shipping, but I would never pay for it for streaming unless it were on Apple TV.

21. daftpunker909 macrumors regular

There are some really good shows on Amazon Prime, Man in the high castle for example among others.

22. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

There is some exclusive content on Amazon Prime Video that I enjoy. The Man in the High Castle was excellent.

23. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

I always get the feeling that Amazon vastly over-estimates how much customers value their video/music/fire services and devices. Comcast or Netflix might be high-value enough to make changes happen, but not Amazon right now.

24. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

For a second I thought I had double-posted.

25. InfoTime macrumors 6502