Amazon Working on Echo Successor to Rival Apple's HomePod

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon is reportedly working on a successor to its Echo connected smart speaker for release later this year in a clear attempt to one-up Apple and its HomePod speaker, which is due to launch this December.

Sources who saw a working unit spoke to Engadget, claiming that the new Echo will improve on the first speaker "in every way", being shorter and slimmer than the original, with rounded edges and a cloth-like covering preferred over the current Echo's plastic shell and flat ends.

[​IMG]

Perhaps unsurprisingly given Apple's focus on the HomePod music experience, Amazon is aiming to significantly improve the sound quality of the next Echo, according to sources. The company's new flagship smart speaker will feature multiple tweeters as opposed to just one large one (Apple's HomePod packs in seven tweeters).

Amazon is also reportedly enhancing the new Echo's far-field microphone technology, but it's not clear how. The current Echo has a seven-mic array, while the HomePod has six and Google Home has two, although the software running the mics significantly dictates their listening quality.

Pricing remains unknown, but Amazon's new Echo is likely to significantly undercut Apple's HomePod, which will retail at $349 and go up against the likes of Sonos in the premium speaker market. The existing Echo costs $180 as a reference.

First impressions of Apple's HomePod were largely positive following its unveiling in June, with journalists agreeing that the 7-inch tall device easily beats the Sonos Play:3 and 9-inch-tall Amazon Echo in terms of pure music playback quality. The HomePod initializes by playing 360-degree audio and listening back so that it can dynamically adjust sound output to fit environmental acoustics. Apple claimed it honed the technology over many years, so Amazon's next smart speaker has plenty to live up to.

Article Link: Amazon Working on Echo Successor to Rival Apple's HomePod

2. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I bought an Echo for 90 bucks on Prime day and Apple is trying to get $350 for Apple Home or whatever. Get lost.

Echo does everything I need it to.

3. Darkashnet macrumors regular

Darkashnet

I was in the market for a wireless speaker for my Mac, but I think the HomePod might be a little overkill, especially at that price. I picked up an Echo on Prime day too, so far I think it's great.

4. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Prime day was 2 days ago. How can you know it can do everything you need it to?

5. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

HomePod isn’t trying to compete with the Echo, it’s competing with Sonos.

6. icallmydmicrosoft macrumors newbie

wait. people on macrumors said that the echo is superior and apple should catch up with amazon, not the other way around. crazy, i thought macrumors trolls posts were the one and only truth :D
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2017 ---
    the important question is: will it work as a simple AirPlay (2) speaker as well? not all music that i like is available at Apple Music

7. levitynyc macrumors 65816

It plays music, it turns off and on a few lights and it answers questions.

It works a heck of a lot better than Siri has on any of my iPhones.

8. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

I must say, it'll certainly be easier to give Echo better sound than to make Siri a better helper.

Here's one of a thousand examples, screen shot from yesterday. Why do I even bother anymore?

[​IMG]

9. JarScott macrumors 601

JarScott

Calling it now: Amazon will team up with a very well known, up market audio brand such as Bang & Olufson or Bose to upgrade the speaker. Will also help it compete with Apple if they can advertise it as having hardware from a trusted audio brand.

10. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

Echo speaker doesn't compete with higher end speakers systems like Sonos for music. Remember, Apple's is going after the Sonos market...
    Sonos is the name you are looking for, they are already doing a private beta with them.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

Saw this coming from a mile away. Since companies like B&O, Bose, and Harman Kardon lend their name and tech to other industries (especially automobiles) it seems to be a no brainer for Amazon to team up a company like that.
    I don't think this is the product JarScott is referencing. Sonos with Alexa integration has been known for a long time. Although... techincally they could build an Echo Play 4, slot it between the Play 3 and Play 5, and charge $350. Hmmm...
    You could be on to something there spazzcat.:)

12. rbramseyjr macrumors newbie

inb4 prime one day or prime now.

13. robjulo macrumors 6502a

I would bet the vast, vast majority of customers will see HomePod as competing with Google Home and Echo, rather than Sonos, and will immediately be turned off by the price.

14. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Just please build mesh wifi into it and ill give it serious consideration

15. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

I love my Echo. It's hard to describe in words the sound quality!

16. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's pathetic.

Google Assistant, for comparison:
    Screenshot_20170713-074755.png

18. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

The fact that Echo products were heavily discounted on Prime Day may add some weight to this rumour of updated models later this year,

19. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

20. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Does it do wireless distance charging?
    Or they're fearful of HomePod?

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'm pretty sure the answer will be yes, given AirPlay 2 was announced at WWDC with support for multiroom synced audio. The HomePod would be an essential part of that.

22. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

Both I'd imagine.

23. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Have you ever heard of researching things online? It's not hard to read up on what the Echo can and can't do.

24. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

IMG_4066.PNG

25. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Right on, my brother/sister. Said the same thing when the iPod crap thing or whatever came out. And I was right. The iPod failed.