Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
The Mac Pro is the only option for expansion but it is lacking in video cards. Drives and I/O are more plentiful but that only goes so far. Not to mention that a video card is a much more flexible expansion card with gaming and computation functions in one package.

$US 124.99 around here. I like Apple's notebooks but I do not believe Apple has been worthy of my money. Not to mention the entire reason is to run Windows on it.

My Macbook is really starting to show its age in terms of physical condition and performance.

I think we all forget though that 90% of people who buy are Average people who don't really "Game" per say. They use them and just do Work Schools stuff then turn it off. Most of us that are in mac forums I would like to think are much More tech Savy than the average person. The fact that we are in forums says some of that... Yes Gaming is not nearly on the forefront as P.C. Manufacturers... But most people Don't Care... So the Macbook Air sells pretty well. For me I think its A little Dainty. Call me quirky. But I like my electronics to have some heft and weight to them. Just feels like I am gonna break that stuff.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
"Sorry guys you can say how great your Mac is and how much better it is than a PC..... Nope, sorry, go to jail and don't pass go. Sure they're great for some things but when it comes to gaming it just can't hold a candle to a PC. PLUS why are all you guys running horrid windows on your mac? I always love when you talk crap about PC's yet mirror windows on your machine. IF it was so great you wouldn't need to run windows. Just saying."

Because we can... Just because you can't run OSX on a PC Don't be a Hater. I bought a Mac because I can Dual Boot and do both. :) Without a bunch of Hackintosh crap. I use Windows to game and EVERYTHING else on OSX and I don't need two computers. The selection of games on Mac is definitely lacking... But Valve on mac now solved a lot of that for me. And hate all you want... My games that I do play on Valve look better in Open GL than they do with Direct X. Again just my opinion. The reason they are "So Great" is because I own a Mac so I don't have to choose. :) I can run everything... 95% of Pc's can't do that without a bunch of crap.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
"Sorry guys you can say how great your Mac is and how much better it is than a PC..... Nope, sorry, go to jail and don't pass go. Sure they're great for some things but when it comes to gaming it just can't hold a candle to a PC. PLUS why are all you guys running horrid windows on your mac? I always love when you talk crap about PC's yet mirror windows on your machine. IF it was so great you wouldn't need to run windows. Just saying."

Because we can... Just because you can't run OSX on a PC Don't be a Hater. I bought a Mac because I can Dual Boot and do both. :) Without a bunch of Hackintosh crap. I use Windows to game and EVERYTHING else on OSX and I don't need two computers. The selection of games on Mac is definitely lacking... But Valve on mac now solved a lot of that for me. And hate all you want... My games that I do play on Valve look better in Open GL than they do with Direct X. Again just my opinion. The reason they are "So Great" is because I own a Mac so I don't have to choose. :) I can run everything... 95% of Pc's can't do that without a bunch of crap.

Yeah, but the selection of video cards and lack of crossfire/SLI cripples the gaming experience.

Mac Pros use old video cards with an additional premium price (that is not warranted). Should this new AMD be available for the Mac Pro, that would pretty much be the first time Macs got the same good stuff as the PC world at the same time.

And lets not even talk about how miserable the video cards are in the iMac....

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
To all those who seem to think Mac gamers are idiots: you should realize that many of us don't primarily buy our Mac for gaming. We buy it for general use, work, etc., and then do some gaming on the side. A lot of people aren't interested in Windows and wouldn't want to move to a PC just for gaming, and I don't blame them.

I've got myself a base 2011 iMac and I game on it all the time in Windows 7. It's a great machine with a great form factor and an even better price. I'm saving to build my own gaming rig because I want MOAR POWA but it still does game well.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
Tired of eating leftovers? Get a PC. ;)

I have a PC, and I can say that from observing Apple's movements in the GPU industry for its Mac Pro line, that it releases support for new cards when it delivers a significant performance boost. That's why Apple skipped the 6000 series, because it offered a relatively small performance increase over the 5000, which it did support after the 4000 series, and that after the 3000 series (since until the 6000 series, AMD had been delivering a doubling of performance with each successive release).

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Sorry guys you can say how great your Mac is and how much better it is than a PC..... Nope, sorry, go to jail and don't pass go. Sure they're great for some things but when it comes to gaming it just can't hold a candle to a PC. PLUS why are all you guys running horrid windows on your mac? I always love when you talk crap about PC's yet mirror windows on your machine. IF it was so great you wouldn't need to run windows. Just saying.

Sorry, but I never said Mac is better then a PC and I still like windows. I can have the best of many worlds. Gaming, boot to windows, video editing boot to Mac, development boot to Linux. Seems like a win/win/win situation to me.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Dang, see this is what happens when you stop building systems... Have they always required both? For the longest I seemed to remember you being able to get away with not using both power plugs.

It depends on the card, of course, but in general to deliver power (FPS) requires power (watts).

If you want lots of FPS, it will need lots of watts. (I just built an HTPC with a Fermi-based card GeForce 5xx card that has no fan and needs no auxiliary power - it's quiet but its FPS on a FPS won't wow anyone.)

Don't you love overloaded TLAs?

----------

OS/X being an obscure platform that it is why would they bother?

Or, more to the point, since OSX systems with aftermarket graphics cards are a tiny fraction of a small fraction of a small fraction of the market - why would they bother?

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
Yeah, but the selection of video cards and lack of crossfire/SLI cripples the gaming experience.

Mac Pros use old video cards with an additional premium price (that is not warranted). Should this new AMD be available for the Mac Pro, that would pretty much be the first time Macs got the same good stuff as the PC world at the same time.

Yes I agree its not on par with P.C. I am just saying using the same machine and comparing Direct X and the same thing booted into Mac with Open GL I prefer Open GL. But my point with The guy I quoted is that I bought a mac because I don't have to choose between Windows and OSX. 90% of general public does not even know that a Mac will run windows as well. What I would Love to really see is Onlive get there ***** together and get more Great new titles and bump performance a little So Nobody has to spend 300.00 bucks to keep up with good games P.C. or mac...

----------

Hate that it says "Macrumors Newbie" Lol... Been coming on here for years. Just new to posting to the forums. Lol... Should say "Forum Newbie". Lol... just sayin

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
This GPU looks big and ugly. And it's probably runs hot and noisy. But hey it's fast right?

I'll wait for a new mobile (iMac/MBP) GPU comes out thanks.

So you care more about the looks of a GPU than its performance? Hmm, I wonder what a rational, non emotional person cares more about, having the fastest single card GPU ever, or whether it looks good. You're obviously parodying an Apple fanboy when they feel that other user are criticizing Apple with because of other corporation's products, but this is Macrumors, so you never know.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011

First of all About 65% of all computers sold today are not even desktops to begin with... they are Laptops. Crossfire is pointless in a laptop. Now take that 35% of computers sold as a Desktop and only about 10% of those are bought for Gaming. If you can't notice a trend here its that Gaming Desktops are seriously on the decline. You wonder why Apple has Fat stacks of cash... because they know what people want. They pay attention to trends... I love Gaming as much as the next guy... But it is not making Financial sense anymore. Very few people will EVER change or upgrade their graphics card. And honestly if I was gonna spend 300 bucks for gaming... It would be for a PS3 or xbox. And most people would do the same. 95% of people buying computers are not Nerds or Geeks... They could give a crap less how many FPS they get... or spend 300 bucks on a lousy 30% increase in gaming that is not even noticeable in regular use of a computer...Mac or P.C. Apple is just not gonna beat a dead Mule... It makes No sense to Invest in Gaming cards like that anymore. This is why Nvidia has expanded to motherboards, built on graphics and chipsets. And why ATI sold out and AMD is building more SOC and built on graphics solutions... Sorry to be the Bearer of truth. Really? your gonna vote me down? Lol... Guess the truth hurts.

Last edited:

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Looks like the potential for great OpenCL performance is there.

Let's hope there will be a Snow Leopard driver for it. I refuse to put Lion on my Mac Pro.

Cant wait to slap one of these bad boys in my "old" 2008 Mac Pro. :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think we all forget though that 90% of people who buy are Average people who don't really "Game" per say. They use them and just do Work Schools stuff then turn it off. Most of us that are in mac forums I would like to think are much More tech Savy than the average person. The fact that we are in forums says some of that... Yes Gaming is not nearly on the forefront as P.C. Manufacturers... But most people Don't Care... So the Macbook Air sells pretty well. For me I think its A little Dainty. Call me quirky. But I like my electronics to have some heft and weight to them. Just feels like I am gonna break that stuff.
$2,499 is the price of entry for the Mac Pro. It is kind that some vendors provide discrete video solutions on an entry level machine but many still come to me asking why they can not play the latest games on their new computer.

Frankly I am surprised that they can even maintain a body temperature of 37° C without help.

Apple can easily give a new video option for BTO or after market on their website. It does not require a complete hardware redesign to provide such.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
$2,499 is the price of entry for the Mac Pro. It is kind that some vendors provide discrete video solutions on an entry level machine but many still come to me asking why they can not play the latest games on their new computer.

Frankly I am surprised that they can even maintain a body temperature of 37° C without help.

Apple can easily give a new video option for BTO or after market on their website. It does not require a complete hardware redesign to provide such.

Again.... Apple is not gonna beat a dead Mule. You think that they are gonna Discontinue the Mac Pro because it sells Good? Lol...It doesn't.... Thats why they are not committing to it. And thats why Graphics card Manufactures are not either. You all don't seem to get the point... Desktops are going away Fast.... And I don't mean All in ones. Come on really? People buying 1200 and 1500 watt power supplies for Dual cards. Give me a break. It got to the point that it was ridiculous... Intel knows it and AMD knows it and Graphics card makers know it. even 1000 watt power supplies are f@cking ridiculous. there is always a "Sweet" spot in electronics and it sure as hell isn't 500 dollars graphics cards and 1200 watt power supplies. Don't believe me? Look at the whole market. Sorry to break the news to P.C. lovers who think they have it all because they can put 500 dollar cards and outrageous power supplies in there desktop. Your advantage is dying fast.... XBOX 720 and ps4 are gonna crush this even more... when they will blur the line even further between console gaming and P.C. gaming....

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Again.... Apple is not gonna beat a dead Mule. You think that they are gonna Discontinue the Mac Pro because it sells Good? Lol...It doesn't.... Thats why they are not committing to it. And thats why Graphics card Manufactures are not either. You all don't seem to get the point... Desktops are going away Fast.... And I don't mean All in ones. Come on really? People buying 1200 and 1500 watt power supplies for Dual cards. Give me a break. It got to the point that it was ridiculous... Intel knows it and AMD knows it and Graphics card makers know it. even 1000 watt power supplies are f@cking ridiculous. there is always a "Sweet" spot in electronics and it sure as hell isn't 500 dollars graphics cards and 1200 watt power supplies. Don't believe me? Look at the whole market. Sorry to break the news to P.C. lovers who think they have it all because they can put 500 dollar cards and outrageous power supplies in there desktop. Your advantage is dying fast.... XBOX 720 and ps4 are gonna crush this even more... when they will blur the line even further between console gaming and P.C. gaming....
The line between console and PC gaming will never be blurred. Not only do consoles not use the most powerful hardware available upon release, they aren't updated for years.

I'd love for Apple to be able to get desktop cards in the iMac. That would really be awesome.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Hmm, I wonder what a rational, non emotional person cares more about, having the fastest single card GPU ever, or whether it looks good.

It looks LOUD.

That would be a deal breaker, don't care how fast it is.

Presumably the '50 will be quieter.

The next gen consoles, starting with Nintendo's pending release, are going to handle anything that can be thrown at them at 1080p with high frame rates. That will be the effective end of "PC" gaming.

Last edited:

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
hmm, its nice AMD takes the Mac Pro line seriously.

But... it is sad Apple doesn't. Apple seems to mainly want to make mobile derived lines.

and the Mac Pro line is very long in the tooth!

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
The line between console and PC gaming will never be blurred. Not only do consoles not use the most powerful hardware available upon release, they aren't updated for years.

I'd love for Apple to be able to get desktop cards in the iMac. That would really be awesome.

Really.... Desktops sales are declining faster than Davis Hasselhoff with a few drinks. Get the Clue. Look at your own statement. They don't get updated for years because they don't need too. Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo are not stupid... You think they would just sit on there ass and lose billions because there to lazy? no because they don't need too. You can play any game at 1920 X 1080 and look just fine on any big screen. Modern warfare 3 sold over a BILLION dollars BECAUSE of consoles. The most in History. In the front room on the couch. Not huddled at a desk playing by yourself. Look at any gaming store... the P.c. section is pitiful. while gaming consoles cover the whole store. Get a grip. Fact are Facts. Who the hell wants to sink a grand into a behemoth power Hog with a 1000 watt power supply when it look hardly different than the HDTV you already own and only costs 250 bucks to do the same thing. Not to mention most monitors on peoples desktop only do 1920 x1080 or less anyway.... your theory that they will not blur the line... Already happened dude.

----------

And MOST people don't update there computer for years... period.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
It looks LOUD.

That would be a deal breaker, don't care how fast it is.

Presumably the '50 will be quieter.

The next gen consoles, starting with Nintendo's pending release, are going to handle anything that can be thrown at them at 1080p with high frame rates. That will be the effective end of "PC" gaming.

You said it looks big and ugly, which is different from loud. You clearly placed a huge importance on the aesthetics of the GPU, something to put it down for, and then suggesting that the people who would get such a card are dummies because they're so concerned with the power of the card with the tone of "How silly of them." You didn't say it looks loud. You then added that it looks loud, because that sounds less foolish than complaining about it being "ugly." If you don't play games then get a less powerful card, but don't post something in an arrogant manner, as if anyone who would get such a card is foolish, and then giving some reasons as "It's ugly."

Also, you're saying that the WiiU is going to be the end of PC gaming. That comment is weird too. Any games that come out for the WiiU and the PC are still going to looks graphically superior on the PC. And the PC is not static, while the consoles are for at least 5 years. So that's a pretty weird statement.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

And so I heard back on 2005 when current gen consoles (Xbox360 and PS3) start the buzz. They claimed they're going to kill gaming PC and all, it beats up highest end gaming PC back then.

PS3 was said to be a mini "super-computer" with 8 physical core running @ 3.00GHz!! How awesome was that... well not anymore! It's not much faster than 4cores desktop i7 today.

And how's the fact today?

This issue is getting old you know? When console able to play games fluidly on native 1080p, computer will be able to play it on 1440 or 2160 without hiccup.. same old, same old ...

And game console was never cheap when it was released. It's just as crazy, scarce supply, hi demand and all that.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
And so I heard back on 2005 when current gen consoles (Xbox360 and PS3) start the buzz. They claimed they're going to kill gaming PC and all, it beats up highest end gaming PC back then.

PS3 was said to be a mini "super-computer" with 8 physical core running @ 3.00GHz!! How awesome was that... well not anymore! It's not much faster than 4cores desktop i7 today.

And how's the fact today?

This issue is getting old you know? When console able to play games fluidly on native 1080p, computer will be able to play it on 1440 or 2160 without hiccup.. same old, same old ...

And game console was never cheap when it was released. It's just as crazy, scarce supply, hi demand and all that.

Lol you crack me the **** up.... So take your own logic. How is P.C. gaming done in the last 5 years since those consoles came out? Has it Increased? NO... Has it stayed the same? NO... It has decreased. YES...Show me ONE report that shows P.C. Gaming has Increased since the ps3 and xbox360 came out... ONE. Don worry I will wait. In fact show me ONE report that shows P..C. Gaming has increased year over year even once in the last 5 years... Again I will wait. And High demand should also tell you something... When is the last time you seen a P.C. desktop run out of supply or go for 3 times as much on ebay for the first few months or ever sell out? Never. When is the last time you seen a graphics card Sold out and people buying it for 3 times the price on ebay? LMAO.... Keep holding on to your 1000 watt Hunk of **** that is becoming a dinosaur... Face the facts...Oh wait guess you don't use any of those.

davidgay

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Lol you crack me the **** up.... So take your own logic. How is P.C. gaming done in the last 5 years since those consoles came out? Has it Increased? NO... Has it stayed the same? NO... It has decreased. YES...Show me ONE report that shows P.C. Gaming has Increased since the ps3 and xbox360 came out... ONE. Don worry I will wait. In fact show me ONE report that shows P..C. Gaming has increased year over year even once in the last 5 years... Again I will wait. And High demand should also tell you something... When is the last time you seen a P.C. desktop run out of supply or go for 3 times as much on ebay for the first few months or ever sell out? Never. When is the last time you seen a graphics card Sold out and people buying it for 3 times the price on ebay? LMAO.... Keep holding on to your 1000 watt Hunk of **** that is becoming a dinosaur... Face the facts...Oh wait guess you don't use any of those.

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1196429p1.html

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

U mad bro? :LOL
Read something like this first
http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/119/1196429p1.html

And something to think about:
http://www.gamingtruth.com/2011/10/20/the-ultimate-showdown-pc-vs-console-gaming/

Yes current game consoles help many people to not regularly build/upgrade gaming PC anymore. But PC is dead for gaming console? Not even close. There will always market for hi-end gaming PC. Even me as Mac user can't deny that.

Not everyone fancy or satisfied with their MBA/MBP.
Compare Battlefield 3 on PC and consoles, and you'd know the difference. PC will still catch up sooner or later.

And me using 1000watt gaming PC? Nahh .. I use iMac for games, 300 watts, and can run Battlefield 3 with decent frame rates on 1080p. And still much better than gaming console can do today. You have to see to believe, by the way.

EDIT:
@davidgay .. wow we had the same link! thank you for that :)

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009

I did a quick Google search and found this: PC Revenue Up 19% http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/01/pc-is-strong-pc-games-revenue-up-20/

And it even says that it's expected to continue growing. And on another page I even read that studies don't even include sales on Steam.

I'm planning on getting a WiiU, and hopefully a gaming computer. I sold my X-Box 360 and Wii, simply because I want less clutter, and just having a gaming PC with Steam is just much more convenient and clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.