Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I would not buy a motherboard without TB if the game had been fair.
Same here, but I actually want AM4 MoBo and I want to make first AMD build(curiosity, you know...). So I have no choice.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Same here, but I actually want AM4 MoBo and I want to make first AMD build(curiosity, you know...). So I have no choice.
For my own use, I think would pay the $450 for the 6800K to have more PCIe 3.0 on the motherboard.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
For my own use, I think would pay the $450 for the 6800K to have more PCIe 3.0 on the motherboard.
I need just two PCie connectors. For GPU, and M.2 for NVMe SSD. And thats it. I guess that is the difference of needs :).

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
And it can offer 100% of 8 cores.

I was expecting your nitpicking.
You didn't notice that I slammed your misquote of a video that you didn't provide a link to?

And, don't lose sight of the fact that if the new id engine has better parallelization - that it will also perform better on Intel multi-core chips.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You didn't notice that I slammed your misquote of a video that you didn't provide a link to?

And, don't lose sight of the fact that if the new id engine has better parallelization - that it will also perform better on Intel multi-core chips.
You didn't notice that I slammed your slamming?

I did not provide a link because of the gore.

Be my guest, get a 22-core Intel CPU. But that does not mean a 7700K is a better buy than a Ryzen 7.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
id Software: "we plan to consume all the Ryzen CPU"
As a hamburger?

;)

About IDSoftware. Doom and its Vulkan implementation is widely considered best optimized game in the history, and actually one of better looking games in the history. It actually shows what can be done with proper software optimization, and very good API(I think Vulkan is best API of them all). Unfortunately for them this is not a game which I would buy(Blizzard: Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch, are much more exciting titles for me), or enjoy.

Ryzen performance in games is funny because the CPU can have stellar performance in professional and scientific workloads, in situations where only FP and Integer performance are most important part, but where you have to optimize first to get all of it - it lacks. I have seen games in 1080p where Ryzen 7 is not faster than 220W CPU from AMD(whatever it is called) from ancient times. So if ID claims that optimization, and utilization will grow, it will be interesting to see how it will affect the performance. My personal hope is that the trend of higher minimums on Ryzen platform vs Intel Platform will maintain after optimizations.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wonder if AMD produces enough faulty dies to fulfill the Ryzen 5 demand with little waste.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wonder if AMD produces enough faulty dies to fulfill the Ryzen 5 demand with little waste.

There's even room for a 2.8GHz 8-core.

Even 2.6GHz when you take into account the 95W of 1600X.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Since fabricated at 3rd party factories, AMD is paying per wafer whether anything works on the wafer or not. There is about zero incentive to deliberately make faulty dies for AMD. For fab , TSMC , Samsung, they get paid for fab. It will be hard to keep customers long term if just fab junk but need to get to 'high enough'.

Perfecting the die, layers, process for a particularly configuration costs money. So it is often more cost effective to use one baseline design to fill the output for multiple variations and get a higher discount for a longer, larger wafer production run(s). That to compose and two 2-3 different designs at lower volume. There is a baseline design cost you have to get over. Multiple designs increase those costs.

4-8 is a reasonable range to cover with one die. if looking to crank up the clock is probably safer to take a fully working 8 and explicitly turn 4 off in explicit locations than to be playing musical chairs.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Nice! But not the most reliable of brands.
Acer makes a lot of super cheap entry level stuff. Nobody's entry level stuff is designed and built for reliability.

HP's Z-series are rock solid - but the $499 Best Buy specials, not so much.

The GX series is Acer's high end consumer desktop, so it might be better than the Acer average.

(Having said that, my HTPC is a $499 Gateway special from Fry's - been going 4 years without a hiccup.)
[doublepost=1493403372][/doublepost]
This thread is getting further and further from anything even remotely connected to the Mac Pro.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
Acer makes a lot of super cheap entry level stuff. Nobody's entry level stuff is designed and built for reliability.

HP's Z-series are rock solid - but the $499 Best Buy specials, not so much.

The GX series is Acer's high end consumer desktop, so it might be better than the Acer average.

(Having said that, my HTPC is a $499 Gateway special from Fry's - been going 4 years without a hiccup.)
[doublepost=1493403372][/doublepost]
This thread is getting further and further from anything even remotely connected to the Mac Pro.

Sadly the GX series isn't one that moms and pops buy at Bureau en Gros around here.
And since the downfall of paper computers magazine I haven't seen that many advert for Acer or Gateway...

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sadly the GX series isn't one that moms and pops buy at Bureau en Gros around here.
And since the downfall of paper computers magazine I haven't seen that many advert for Acer or Gateway...
Mom and Pop aren't going to buy a Ryzen. ;)

Newegg has Ryzen motherboards for under $70. Mom and pop aren't going to buy a motherboard.

What I don't understand is that some of the people fanning the "more cores cheap" hysteria about Ryzen are the same ones who've been complaining that "software doesn't support more cores, so anything over 2 is wasted".

So AMD makes it cheaper to have idle cores because the app isn't able to effectively use multi-threading?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.