Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I want to see pictures by people who are less than amateur. I want to know if an "idiot" can still take decent pictures with this phone, if you now what I mean. This is not a knock against AppVV.

I second this, but unfortunately you can give someone a $3000 camera and they'll still take crap pictures if they aren't talented.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
But the iphone isnt a $200/$300 phone, its a lot more, your paying the cost of the phone as part of your monthly contractual payments (thats why theres a minimum contract peroid, so they can recoup their initial loss), to give you an idea of how much the iphone really costs, in the UK its sold unlocked from an Apple store for £499 (780 USD)

but you would be doing the same thing with any phone, as far as subsidized phones go. so you'd need to compare what the iPhone gives you compared to what a samsung phone gives you. i can tell you that my iPhone 4 5mp camera took better photos than my friends galaxy that was 8mp indoors. i saw benchmarks comparing the ipad2, which has the same guts as the 4s, and it was 2x faster than the galaxy. add 1080p and siri + a 64gb model and i'd say this was an impressive update over the iPhone 4. if apple would have changed the shape and called it 5 with the same specs all of the people complaining about this update would be drooling over it. i would also say that iTunes app store still towers over the android store. there is almost nothing exclusive to android compared to the iOS exclusives. because there is nothing that can be made universal unless it's mocked up to the most generic android handset. it's like window vs osx. any new mac will run anything available for iox. but you'd better be careful to check specs when buying a new pc. that is the on clear advantage apple has over android. making the phone and it's os insures compatability. controlling the app store also gives the consumer some safeguards, if the read about an app before buying it.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
No matter what people say, this will be better than most people's point and shoot digital camera. I am excited about the 1080p video capture. I always wanted my Flip camera to record at 1080p and the iPhone 4S has the stabilization feature.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If I was home instead of in Afghanistan I would be buying this, almost solely on the basis for the camera. I love shooting with my iPhone. Home videos etc already look great in 720p. But since I won't be back until March, I'm just going to wait for the next iPhone since I know at least the camera won't go backwards in quality. I'm kind of glad I'm not home right now, because it makes it easier to decide whether I should get the 4s or not.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
You must seriously have some really bad cameras. There is nothing impressive about the quality of that pic. I'm willing to bet that some of you would actually believe this pic is as good or better than what you would have got from an entry level DSLR. :eek:
You wanna show how incredible the camera is? Wait for a third party shoot out of all the current phones.

You can't compare a phone that in some respects has a point-and-shoot inside of it to a DSLR. At BEST you can compare the iP4S to a point-and-shoot I think... but it's unfair to compare a camera that is this thin to a camera you basically need two hands to hold smoothly and a lens that sticks out at least two inches. Apples and oranges?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
This actually seems better quality than cheap Point and Shoots.

Just not there with the highest end point and shoots that cost $300-$400.

Still, this is really good, to be better than a cheap point and shoot, that's pretty nice. It really makes you use your better cameras less and less too, as the iPhone 4S will be "good enough." And good enough isn't a joke this time!

AnthonyCM

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Lens flush/scratch

This is my one issue w/ the shape of the phone. I'm on a 3GS, switching to the 4S.

With the back being flat, is the lens flush against whatever surface it's sitting on? I like carrying my phone w/out a case. Do I need a case to keep the lens from getting scratched whenever I put it down?

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I have shot full time for a living for over two decades, done very well. After shooting digital for nearly 18 years, I have gone mostly back to film for fine art and some magazine work, but I do pull out the digital for certain things.

Megapixels matter, to a point. What the iPhone has over many digital cameras, including my high end Nikons and even my new fave, the Fuji X100, is "Mojo".

It just has a unique combo of enough resolution paired with a sharp lens and a great way of drawing in light. When in Paris last year, I encountered a large protest that had blocked off a major intersection. I was in my 6th and final year on a book project shot on film, I only had my iPhone4 as a digital. I shot the protest and moved the photos to my agency in New York, we made three newspaper covers and made several other sales due to speed over file size.

But the best return on my iPhone investment came this year with a show of 22 images from my phone, most were 9" x 9" prints but we also did two 30" x 30" prints that held up fantastic. I made enough money off of this show to pay for new iPhones for many years to come.

Out of some 8 cameras in three formats, the iPhone 4 is one of my favorites. So since I am holding out for the 5, I ordered my wife the 4S. And folks, it does not matter how many megapixels it has, all that will ever matter is how talented you are and how you see the world.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Looking forward to seeing what Siri has to offer over this, but I have to say the detail in the zoom is fantastic.

madee

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
No matter what people say, this will be better than most people's point and shoot digital camera. I am excited about the 1080p video capture. I always wanted my Flip camera to record at 1080p and the iPhone 4S has the stabilization feature.

I'm with you bro.

green31

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
it's the money that all the yahoos are losing by buying the next iphone.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've seen quotes similar to this several times and don't really get it. IF you plan on staying with your current carrier AND you currently own an iPhone4, doesn't it make sense to sell your iPhone4 for $300+ dollars and use that money to get an iPhone 4S? I personally think the people that don't do this are the yahoos (unless you really want to have a backup iPhone just in case, which is understandable).

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
8MP will make no difference to the image quality other than the files will be bigger and will allow you to blow them up to the size of roughly A4. The real difference will be the now, F2.4 aperture. Low light photos will be less noisy and of higher quality. This is really isn't a key selling point for the 4S. In my eyes, the key selling point is Siri, even then, they're pushing it.

8MP's huge benefit will be the ability to crop more than print larger pics.

Also, in this image, notice the top half is a lot more blurry than the bottom half. I hope what we're seeing is the f2.4 aperture giving a shallower depth of field rather than an issue with the new optics. I'd say it was camera shake, but the bottom edge of the dollar bill is pretty sharp in comparison.

----------

anyone know if stabilization will also work on the still camera?

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
Wow, nice! The camera was one of the main reasons why I ordered the 4S. The pictures my 3G takes are unusable. This picture is even better than my point and shoot camera.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
try a bigger screen for one thing, more than half a gig of ram for another

In case you didn't notice, Processor speed and ram are not even comparable against other non-apple phones. Apple can get the same speed/performance from lesser internal specs then what is provided on a current version Android phone. Speaking from a consumer point of view, you know the stuff that actually matters, I would prefer a slightly bigger screen.

The main reasons I am getting the newest iPhone are:

1. Sprint finally has it so I can leave AT&T.
2. What seems to be a much improved camera since I don't have a P&S camera.
3. I was able to sell my IP4 and make enough to pay ETF on AT&T and buy IP4s with Sprint.

truthiness

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2008
Hoping this is shallow DOF/shake vs. optics issue.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 12.28.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 12.28.32 PM.png
    906.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 12.29.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-10 at 12.29.13 PM.png
    934.6 KB · Views: 160

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
While it is a nice photo, it's about as useful as that plate of sushi that was accidentally posted on Flickr. Can AppVV walk outside and take a picture of some scenery?

Actually, American paper currency is often used in the photographic space for checking camera/lens performance/post processing performance.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
i wonder why image quality (sharpness) get worse from bottom-left to top-right!

The focus point is at lower center, the top left is turned up and is simply in better focus than the upper right hand corner. It's simply a function of optics and it will be more pronounced the closer you are to your subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.