An alternative to Dropbox, please!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by rogercorke, Jun 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rogercorke macrumors newbie

I use Dropbox on all my Apple devices all the time. Now Dropbox want to charge a ridiculous £9.99 a month if you want to connect to more than three devices. Since I have a Macmini, MacBook Air, an iPad and an iPhone and I use Dropbox on all of them, it’s time to find a replacement. Any suggestions?

Specifically, I’m looking for the following:
    - the ability to type a document in Word and then drop it straight into the Dropbox replacement without it reformatting. That seems to cut out Google Docs, which seems to reformat every document you drop into it and won’t let you use Autocorrect, which I use a lot for words and phrases I need in my line of work
    - the ability to look back and download previously-saved versions of a document
    - something which I can put in Finder so the interface with my Mac desktop is seamless.

I can do all this on Dropbox.

All suggestions for a lest costly alternative gratefully received.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed. iCloud or OneDrive. You can get office 365 annually for fairly cheap. iCloud Drive is great too.

I use OneDrive for office 365 and word / excel.

3. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

How much storage do you have on Dropbox? For $2.99 a month in getting 200 gigs of storage that sync over all of my devices :

[​IMG]

The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is viewing previously saved versions of files. If you need to view a file you saved last week you may needed to rename it when you save it.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I highly recommend Google drive and iCloud.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I moved 99% of my Dropbox files to iCloud. The only ones I didn’t move were files Scrivener uses to sync between my iPad and Mac. I also have the 200GB plan.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Check the OP again. Storage size isn’t the problem. It is the new policy that is the issue.

You need to update your Apple TV :p

7. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Well, if they have more than 200 gigs of storage with Dropbox then the 200 gigs plan wouldn't work for them and they might have to go to the $9.99 month 2TB plan. That's where I was going with that.

And yes, I'm well aware of the new policy. As soon as it was announced I went to the $2.99 month iCloud plan.

And all my ATV's are updated. All version 4 running latest OS.

8. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Ah I read your Apple TV 2 as .... the actual Apple TV 2, not the second Apple TV 4 that you have. lol.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Same for me. Made my joke bomb. Lol

10. rogercorke thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go to iCloud, will it keep previous versions of a document like Dropbox does?

11. Sparxxx macrumors regular

if you care about security and privacy just go for Tresorit (Tresorit Premium for personal use). I use it for more than 2 years... best one out there but quite expensive.
    They also offer a free tier which is very limited so you can have an idea.

12. T-Bob macrumors 6502a

T-Bob

13. Idgit macrumors 6502

Idgit

Check out pcloud.com. You get 10GB with the free plan and it supports automatic photo uploads from devices.