An Android guy's opinion of an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techguy15, Sep 26, 2016.

1. techguy15 macrumors member

Nope I'm not going to bash it so read on! ;)
    Long story short: I posted on here a long time ago, forgot about getting an iPhone like I said and I ended up with a Nexus 5X (which isn't a bad phone)
    However, I ended up recently with an iPhone 5C. I know, I know. Not a new iPhone. I ended up getting it for free via family who didn't want it but knows I like all stuff tech. They had messed up the mute switch but I didn't mind. I wanted to try it out and give it an honest review. I immediately upgraded to iOS 10 to test out the latest OS. I'm impressed! :)
    I hasn't used an iPhone in a few years so it took a little longer for me to relearn iOS. I still have it along with my Nexus. Still love the Nexus but here's my breakdown on the 5C
    1) even though this phone is older, it still feels like a quality product. Some will say the 5C is cheap but I don't agree. Apple devices are premium
    2) iOS 10 hasn't hiccuped like Android N has. Everything on iOS 10 is ready to go. I'm still waiting on apps to be compatible for 7.0. It seems more fluid, responsive and smooth
    3) the keyboard is still better than my Nexus and I'm able to type faster without as many errors
    4) web pages load faster
    5) I did miss the back button and menu button on my screen however i still see why the home button works just fine
    6) the battery life on the 5C is better despite it being a smaller battery.
    7) the power saver mode WORKS. I cannot get doze to be effective on my 5X! I am forced to use my battery saver all day on my 5X to get through the day. Standby on the 5C is outstanding. Again, all this from an OLDER iPhone.

My overall experience with this 5C has been positive. The smaller screen is a little negative however it fits easier in my jeans and is easier to hold and use with one hand.
    I know my 5X is newer and this 5C is older but it feels like a better experience. I was able to pick up almost where I left off on my 4S and learn the OS very quickly all over again.

The points I have made here are just minor stuff I noticed. I'm considering using this 5C for a week to see if I might keep it. I wanted to make this post to also show that not all Android guys are bashers on Apple. Apple still puts out soke quality stuff and their ecosystem is something to be admired from "the other side"

2. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Dude, your name is techguy15. Why on earth are you rocking old phones like it's 2014? I'm such a tech whore I've bought a iPhone 6S, Nexus 6, S7, SE and iPhone 7 Plus within the last 12 months. I pray to God that I don't buy any other phones until the next iPhone comes out. At least get a iPhone SE, the fastest small phone out right now. Such a underrated phone especially by Android folks. I got mine with $400 in Target gift cards about a month ago so use those tech skills and pay attention to slickdeals.

I'm so bad I should change my name to techwhore74. I was also a hardcore Android guy but ultimately dropped my fanboy tag and started to love all tech.

3. techguy15 thread starter macrumors member

Um...right. I guess I appreciate older devices because I'm not like you and can't afford to blow all my money on phones? I like phones and tech but it doesn't mean I spend every penny I have on it

4. se1000 macrumors 6502

se1000

Pixels are being released soon, just saying! I might have the same bug.

5. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

Get your hands on a 7+ and prepare to have your mind blown.

6. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

Two different category phones. The 5C is a budget phone with a fantastic feel in hand, pocketability, comfortable one handed usability. The 7+ is a big heavy and clunky phone that's practically not usable with one hand, sits horribly in the pocket and is three times more expensive.

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I'm not sure where this idea that the plus models of the iPhone aren't pocketable has come from.

I don't wear skinny jeans, but I wear slim fit jeans and slacks, and my 6s plus and 7 plus both fit in those pants just fine. Even when sitting, driving, etc., it's not an issue at all.

Maybe in an otterbox or life proof case it's tough? I dunno. I go caseless, so maybe that's part of it, but I don't have a single pair of shorts or pants in which the phone doesn't fit.

8. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Agreed on the 7 Plus. Then again, every Phone has its short comings, no matter what the make or model.

9. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

No idea.
    I don't know anyone that can call 7.3 mm clunky.

10. geta macrumors 6502a

There are special supporting groups for people like you. :D

11. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

"Big, heavy, and clunky"? He said 7+, not iPad Mini. You're exaggerating a lot.

12. MLVC macrumors 6502

MLVC

I actually wear super skinny jeans (sue me ;) ) but I have no issues whatsoever with the 7 Plus.

13. ollie87 macrumors member

14. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Lol I'm with you! I can actually put an iPad mini in most of my pockets.... guess wearing size appropriate clothing has it's benefits.

Case makes no dif.... I put my daughters 6+ in my pocket while out and about all the time and she had an OB on before and has a Lifeproof on now...... no issues putting it in my pocket WITH my 7+.

15. AintDutchNotMuch macrumors regular

AintDutchNotMuch

When looking at my previous post I did exaggerate to some extent. It wasn't even 7 AM Dutch time when I posted it, so I wasn't fully awake and had a bit of a morning mood haha. I can definitely understand people loving the Plus models because of the superior screen, camera, large screen for a better browsing and video watching experience. However it's just not for me due to the large size and especially the fact that it can't be easily used with one hand. But to each their own of course!

16. Sparkymoto macrumors newbie

Mind blown? iPhone 7 plus, not so much. You can't do anything with those dam phones lol! I guess unless you've tried others phones besides iPhone, you wouldn't know what you're missing and would actually be impressed by an iPhone. Looks real nice, but featureless overall

17. kargurin macrumors regular

kargurin

Interesting perspective. But the typical iphoner is not using the 5C and the 5X is considerably larger. And I can't see how you can type better on that tiny screen. Don't get it that you would find those somehow comparable.

18. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

I won't sue you at all lol. I'm 6'4 240 ish, so I just don't have the frame for skinny jeans, but every pair of pants I own is between slim and very slim, and likewise, no issues.

Glad to know if I ever drop these last 20lbs I'll be able to graduate to skinny jeans without issue haha.

19. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Halve gare! I don't like hobbit phones. :p (p.s. only kidding on the insult).
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    To the OP, funnily enough I've just been given a Samsung Note Edge, and it's an amazing phone. I think I still prefer my iPhone 7+, but this Samsung is also a very nice phone indeed.

20. archer75 macrumors 65816

I HATE the stock apple keyboard. The suggestions have a delay when they pop up and change as you type so as i'm reaching to select one right as I hit it, it has already changed to a new suggestion and i've then selected the wrong thing. I don't know why there is such a delay.
    All fixed by switching to swiftkey though.

21. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

I've used swiftkey and swype for a while, but it turns out that Gboard is probably the best. I changed after I saw a poll on here about how many people used each one, and Gboard was the most popular. It got that way because it's actually a very good keyboard.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Or your eyes blown with that double fugly camera bulge. :D

23. archer75 macrumors 65816

I have used it both on android and ios. It's ok. But swiftkey remains my favorite.

24. coney718 macrumors regular

This just goes to show how well Apple products are made and how well optimized iOS is compared to Android. Case in point..my 2 year old iPhone 6 runs just as well and in some areas better than my S7 Edge.

25. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

If the 5C impresses you, you need to daily drive a 6s or 7...they'll blow your mind.