Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I'm not sure where this idea that the plus models of the iPhone aren't pocketable has come from.

I don't wear skinny jeans, but I wear slim fit jeans and slacks, and my 6s plus and 7 plus both fit in those pants just fine. Even when sitting, driving, etc., it's not an issue at all.

Maybe in an otterbox or life proof case it's tough? I dunno. I go caseless, so maybe that's part of it, but I don't have a single pair of shorts or pants in which the phone doesn't fit.

Maybe from the fact it's not pocketable for small framed people? :? I'm 5'8, don't wear Euro-tight pants, and the Plus is way too big to sit comfortably in my pockets, and the screen is way too honkin' huge for me to use one handed. It's a comfort/usability issue...not everyone is going to agree with everyone else. :)

Dude, your name is techguy15. Why on earth are you rocking old phones like it's 2014?

One can love technology and still buy things that are affordable. Just saying. Give the man a break.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm 5'8, don't wear Euro-tight pants, and the Plus is way too big to sit comfortably in my pockets, and the screen is way too honkin' huge for me to use one handed. It's a comfort/usability issue...not everyone is going to agree with everyone else. :)

One can love technology and still buy things that are affordable. Just saying. Give the man a break.

Not for the first time, @Melrose, my friend, you speak with the voice of sanity and reason. Well said.

Reactions: sawah and Melrose

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Not for the first time, @Melrose, my friend, you speak with the voice of sanity and reason. Well said.
@Scepticalscribe - We agree on many points, and MacRumors has a way of bringing these perspectives to light in our discussions with other members. It can be argued that some members are not themselves luminous, but conductors of light. I'm sure you'll agree that some members, without possessing genius, do have a remarkable power for stimulating it. I confess, my dear fellow, that I am very much in their debt.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Bigserver1

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Maybe from the fact it's not pocketable for small framed people? :? I'm 5'8, don't wear Euro-tight pants, and the Plus is way too big to sit comfortably in my pockets, and the screen is way too honkin' huge for me to use one handed. It's a comfort/usability issue...not everyone is going to agree with everyone else. :)

That's entirely possible. A fair point at the very least.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

Also stupid girl pockets.

iPhone-6-in-womens-jeans-pocket-2.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Your pockets can't POSSIBLY be that short..... holy moly what sexist jeans. :D 0_o
They can be. Even worse are faux pockets. We women find these big ugly looking "pockets" stitched on pants all he time but they're really just patches sewn on for looks. You can't put anything in them. They're not real! Gah!

The crazy thing is that we can get thin tiny purses that are basically pockets on a carrying strap. I never paid any attention to those before until I got my Note 7 at the end of the summer. For some reason I never bothered for my iPhone 6s Plus.

But I wanted to take my Note7 along while I played mini golf so I bought one of those pocket purses. It worked well. I still prefer pockets so I'm happy I've got an SE. I think a 7 will fit some of my pockets on my LL Bean 'mom jeans" but there goes my figure! I'll stick with SE some more.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I use a Note 7, have an iPhone 6 for work. Just bought my gf the iPhone 7 yesterday. I can't believe Apple sells that ****, and people love it. The iPhone is the most basic phone that doesn't do anything that's actually useful, innovative or helps productivity. The change from the 6 to the 7 is sooo minimal

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I use a Note 7, have an iPhone 6 for work. Just bought my gf the iPhone 7 yesterday. I can't believe Apple sells that ****, and people love it. The iPhone is the most basic phone that doesn't do anything that's actually useful, innovative or helps productivity. The change from the 6 to the 7 is sooo minimal

I can't be the only one who sees the irony and humor in this post....

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
I can't be the only one who sees the irony and humor in this post....
Yes it's ironic I bought it, but for someone else. I watched reviews and read here how wonderful it was, but after trying it now, there's little change from the 6. Definitely not "mind blowing" lol. My gf loves them, she's all into the ecosystem with the macbook, the watch, etc, but she's never used anything else, and has no idea what she's missing. I'm glad she has water resistance finally now though as we live in a rainforest

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016

you can't put note 7 in a reply and expect me to take you seriously. at least compare it to stock android and not some stupid ass touchwiz, or maybe even a phone that isn't a ticking time bomb.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
you can't put note 7 in a reply and expect me to take you seriously. at least compare it to stock android and not some stupid ass touchwiz, or maybe even a phone that isn't a ticking time bomb.
Haha ticking time bomb. Why don't you do some real research on how many blow ups were actually legit. I give them credit for dealing with the situation, I had a brand new Note within 3 weeks and there's been no reported cases in my Country. Have you tried Grace UI? Nothing like the old UI. Also, I use all androids including Google, LG, etc. I'm talking about the Note because there is no comparison out there right now. Have you used one?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Haha ticking time bomb. Why don't you do some real research on how many blow ups were actually legit. I give them credit for dealing with the situation, I had a brand new Note within 3 weeks and there's been no reported cases in my Country. Have you tried Grace UI? Nothing like the old UI. Also, I use all androids including Google, LG, etc. I'm talking about the Note because there is no comparison out there right now. Have you used one?
Samsung phones typically lag behind iPhones in actual performance, plus Samsung has been caught out falsifying benchmarks in the past.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Bench marks mean nothing in real world use. Who opens and closes apps obsessively like they do in the tests lol
I agree 100%, which is why comparing real world performance is so vital and why despite nicer screens, allegedly faster processors or more RAM, etc, that the software and the hardware mesh Samsung devices fall behind; it's one thing Apple's been doing right since the the first iPhone.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015

One thing useful....it doesn't need to live on a charger. This from someone who has owned Notes 5,3,2. I don't even have to think about it on the 7 Plus. 'Note' to Samsung....don't build a slim phone where form trumps function and expect to get my business. You should have never ditched the expandable battery.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
My Note 7 lasts longer than any phone I've had. Although some have complained about battery life with it, I've been lucky

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Wireless chargers are cheap and make it easy to have one at your desk, your home, even my truck has a built in wireless charger, so no matter where I set my phone down, it's on a wireless charger and tops up

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Nope I'm not going to bash it so read on! ;)
Long story short: I posted on here a long time ago, forgot about getting an iPhone like I said and I ended up with a Nexus 5X (which isn't a bad phone)
However, I ended up recently with an iPhone 5C. I know, I know. Not a new iPhone. I ended up getting it for free via family who didn't want it but knows I like all stuff tech. They had messed up the mute switch but I didn't mind. I wanted to try it out and give it an honest review. I immediately upgraded to iOS 10 to test out the latest OS. I'm impressed! :)
I hasn't used an iPhone in a few years so it took a little longer for me to relearn iOS. I still have it along with my Nexus. Still love the Nexus but here's my breakdown on the 5C
1) even though this phone is older, it still feels like a quality product. Some will say the 5C is cheap but I don't agree. Apple devices are premium
2) iOS 10 hasn't hiccuped like Android N has. Everything on iOS 10 is ready to go. I'm still waiting on apps to be compatible for 7.0. It seems more fluid, responsive and smooth
3) the keyboard is still better than my Nexus and I'm able to type faster without as many errors
4) web pages load faster
5) I did miss the back button and menu button on my screen however i still see why the home button works just fine
6) the battery life on the 5C is better despite it being a smaller battery.
7) the power saver mode WORKS. I cannot get doze to be effective on my 5X! I am forced to use my battery saver all day on my 5X to get through the day. Standby on the 5C is outstanding. Again, all this from an OLDER iPhone.

My overall experience with this 5C has been positive. The smaller screen is a little negative however it fits easier in my jeans and is easier to hold and use with one hand.
I know my 5X is newer and this 5C is older but it feels like a better experience. I was able to pick up almost where I left off on my 4S and learn the OS very quickly all over again.

The points I have made here are just minor stuff I noticed. I'm considering using this 5C for a week to see if I might keep it. I wanted to make this post to also show that not all Android guys are bashers on Apple. Apple still puts out soke quality stuff and their ecosystem is something to be admired from "the other side"

many android fans claim that android phones do more things than iphone. but they ignore the fact that even though iphone have less features but almost everything it does, it does it better. This fact existed since the last decade. you are just late to the party. Upgrade to 6s/7, you get to enjoy TouchID, applePay, haptic system. welcome to the party

facts quoted from your OP, not marketing machine that some claim. This summaries what apple ecosystem is like:

quality product
Apple devices are premium
more fluid, responsive and smooth
battery life
web pages load faster
better experience

Reactions: sawah

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Some iPhone fanboys are bad but why do android fans always need to go on and on about their stupid phone? Why do you care what the next person uses?

This happens in real life and all over the internet. While I see iPhone fans bashing android phones a bit, it's never on the same level as android fans going off on iPhone users. Just look a YouTube and all the insecurities.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
many android fans claim that android phones do more things than iphone. but they ignore the fact that iphone have less features but almost everything it does, it does it better. This fact exists since the last decade. you are just late to the party. welcome to the party. Upgrade to 6s/7, you get to enjoy TouchID, applePay, haptic system.

facts quoted from your OP, not marketing machine that some claim. This summaries what apple ecosystem is like:

quality product
Apple devices are premium
more fluid, responsive and smooth
battery life
web pages load faster
better experience
Gee my phone works top notch. Maybe it's the user There's a reason why iPhones are used primarily in workplaces like mine. Most people can't figure out how to use all the features and os of anything else. We use iPhones and ipad at work and some people can't even figure how to use those. IPhone is simple, it just works, Android gives me more to do

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
Gee my phone works top notch. Maybe it's the user There's a reason why iPhones are used primarily in workplaces like mine. Most people can't figure out how to use all the features and os of anything else. We use iPhones and ipad at work and some people can't even figure how to use those. IPhone is simple, it just works, Android gives me more to do

here is a thing that some android fans are so proud of themself. they think that only smart people like themself know how to use, set up, root a phone.

it is just a phone. many people are busy with their life. they don't need to waste time to root the phone to make it work right. Doctor, layer, carpenter, grandma, kids, etc, they don't need to worry about RAM, memory leak, rooting, quadcore, etc. there are more important things in life than a phone.

if regular people can't figure out how to use a feature of a phone, the phone designer/engineer fails. since this feature becomes useless by most people, and only a few people use it, who spend time to learn.

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
My only experience of iOS10 is with my work iPhone (a 5S) which is an appalling handset. But I accept it is getting on and it would be unfair to judge iOS on a 5S and android on the Note 7.

My question though to people who love iPhones:
  • Why does a phone with such a small battery take so long to charge?
  • Why does the back swiping only work within apps? Mad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.