Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Despite multiple reports indicating that Apple will not include EarPods or a wall charger with iPhone 12 models this year, one analyst believes that pricing will still increase slightly compared to the iPhone 11 lineup.

iphone-12-no-charger-earpods.jpg

In a research note provided to MacRumors, analyst Jeff Pu forecasted that iPhone 12 pricing will start at $749 for a new 5.4-inch model, an increase of $50 over the base model iPhone 11 for $699. Pu said the price is primarily attributed to the addition of 5G and an OLED display on all iPhone 12 models, whereas the base iPhone 11 has an LCD.

Due to 5G, Pu believes that the price increase will be "accepted by consumers" and "will not affect demand," but the move would generate controversy nonetheless if the EarPods and wall charger are removed from the box as rumored.

Extrapolating on Pu's prediction, the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 would likely start at $799 or $849, so customers who want to stick with the same size display as the iPhone 11 could be facing a larger $100 to $150 price increase. It's unclear if a price increase would extend to the Pro and Pro Max models, which currently start at $999 and $1,099, respectively.

This prediction contradicts information shared by Jon Prosser, who said the iPhone 12 lineup will start at $649.

Article Link: Analyst Believes iPhone 12 Pricing Will Start $50 Higher Even Without EarPods or Charger in Box

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
At least everyone is aware of this possibility months ahead of time. You can expect people to be initially be pissed when it’s officially announced then still pre-order the shiny new iPhone once its available. Lol. Typical MacRumors.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
$50 price increase or $749 for 5.4" iPhone 12 -- OLED, 5G (not mmWave), and 128GB storage (increased from 64GB) sound pretty good to me, even without the EarPod and 5W USB charger that many people keep in the box as a backup.

What I hope to get in return, which I doubt of course, is doubling of iCloud storage tiers. 10GB for free, 100GB for $0.99/month, 400GB for $2.99/month, and 4TB for $9.99/month.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Fanbois just got one of their key justifications for removing the charger and EarPods taken from them.

Guess it’s “muh environment” or nothing from here on out.

Know what’s even better for the environment? Not releasing 4 new phones every 12 months.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I’ll still probably buy it, but why doesn’t Apple just absorb the cost this time around? Technology only gets cheaper over time? Why can’t they take a slight hit to the profit margins for this model and before they know it, things will settle down? They’ve got to be doing amazing with their magical services like Apple TV+, Apple Music, Apple News, and their runaway success with AirPods.

Being slightly sarcastic on the Apple TV+ and News?

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
I have mixed feelings on this one. The headphones, sure, makes sense (I probably have a dozen pairs floating around). But the charger? Nope. This is just another step towards a cordless device, probably to get around the EU mandate for USB-C charging in devices.

I'll buy the last corded phone/pad and run them until they die. Can't exactly use inductive charging in a pocket or backpack while on the go, and apparently Apple hates local content and backups - syncing 200-500GB of media over wifi isn't viable, and neither is backing up and restoring big chunks of content over the internet. I just had to reload my ipad media library (after, yet again, the bug ate all of my local content) and it took 8 hours even over USB-C.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
So serious question here. And I’m not even saying Apple is the good guy here. But why do people here seems to give Apple so much heat when they raise the price. While fashion companies that sells wallets, clothes that charges for thousands are getting by? Almost every single “apple could do this” argument I can use it on the fashion industry...

• Wow
Reactions: aylk

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
This isn't going to go down well. What I believe the need to do is announce it as follows.

This is [the] iPhone 12, it does X, Y and Z.
Last year, [the] iPhone 11 started at $699.
Because of A, B and C improvements, [the] iPhone 12 starts at $749.
Oh, and if you already have a charging brick and earphones, you can get the phone and cable only for $699.
*Explain environmental reasons etc*

Either way, people are going to be mad because Apple stuff doesn't need to be as expensive as it is to begin with, but depending on how they frame this I feel it could turn a lot of people away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.