Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
It will take apple at least one year (if not 2) AFTER releasing some type of full-service content offering of its own (via a set top box) before they make a tv.

They'll need everyone to buy it too... And those price points are ridiculously low for a 4k tv. I'm thinking (eventually) an apple television set with "retina display".

I really wish they would speed things up with the set top box. Why test an over the top service alongside an expensive television set when you could test it with an inexpensive set too box??

Also, you know for a fact that the cable co's will make it hard for the average consumer. I pay 115 to comcast every month for internet, several cable boxes (no dvr) and two premium channels.

I can only imagine getting a bill from comcast for $115, for just internet, to power my Apple TV iService...

Last edited:

Cmapt-man

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
So Cal
who cares about 4k?

4k isn't the "new UHDTV"! OLED is, or organic light emitted diode. Plasmas are better than 4k and there is pretty much 0 items produced in 4k.

The technology for OLED is here and has been announced. So far it's LG and Samsung are in production. The price is amazingly high but will come down. Sony and Panasonic can't be far behind. The Korean manufacturers are up against the Japanese while items must are assembled in China.

4k is just a bump in the road to get to true new technology. OLED screens will be curved to be better for movies and shows. I am an adult and could care less about games. Apple and Sony are fighting about Blu-ray so Apple can't produce it now. I hope they come to an agreement soon so we can get BRD or Blu-ray drives from Apple. Estimates for lower pricing is accurate, what price and how soon is a guess.

Last edited:

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
*yawn*

By the time these items see the light of day, I'll have moved almost completely away from TV.

Movies? 4K? Sure. Then the ISPs won't permit 4K streaming without charging extra for it.

For the last three years I've been predicting Apple would become an ISP if for no other reason than to provide distribution of their content when the other ISPs decide to block it.

It's a rather short jump from there to actually becoming a -real- content provider; something on the order of Netflix creating content.

You read it here first.

:D

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
PS.

I may never have a need to watch TV again after Breaking Bad ended. TV will never ever be the same anymore.

Hahaha.

----------

By the time these items see the light of day, I'll have moved almost completely away from TV.

Movies? 4K? Sure. Then the ISPs won't permit 4K streaming without charging extra for it.

For the last three years I've been predicting Apple would become an ISP if for no other reason than to provide distribution of their content when the other ISPs decide to block it.

It's a rather short jump from there to actually becoming a -real- content provider; something on the order of Netflix creating content.

You read it here first.

:D

Didn't we read that this was one of Steve jobs ideas; to become an ISP or Telco? Google is on the right track with google fiber.

kingbadger

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
4k isn't the "new UHDTV"! OLED is, or organic light emitted diode.

The technology is here and has been announced. So far it's LG and Samsung. Sony and Panasonic can't be far behind. The Korean manufacturers are up against the Japanese while must are assembled in China.

4k is just a bump in the road to get to true new technology. OLED will be curved to be better for movies and shows. I am mature and could care less about games. Apple and Sony are fighting about Blu-ray so Apple can't produce it now. I hope they come to an agreement soon so we can get BRD or Blu-ray drives from Apple. Estimates for lower pricing is accurate, it's just a matter of time.

You do understand that 4k is a resolution standard and not a type of display such as OLED, right?

Even if OLED became the standard for TV screens it would still be used for displaying 4k content and then 6/8k and so on, just as 1080p is classed as 2k right now...

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
$1,500 for a 55" 4k... Not gonna happen.

Amazon has been selling 50" 4K displays for under a grand, for several months already. It is perfectly possible for Apple to meet that price point, and they will need to be aggressive in getting to the TV market.

Remember when everybody was expecting the (not yet introduced) iPad to sell for $1000 minimum?

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
$1500 for 60" that actually seems cheap.

It's a good thing I'm a plasma guy ;)

That little money for a 4K TV? Yeah right!

Besides, 4K is a scam.....don't buy into it. Unless you need a TV that's 70" or more, there's no value. Your eyes can't see the difference at normal viewing distances. I don't know about you, but I'm not watching my 60" 1080p plasma from 3' away and complaining I can see the pixels :rolleyes:

The only reason I want a 4K screen is for a computer monitor. Otherwise there is little reason. Future compressed 4k movies? Nah. A 40" 4k computer monitor would be amazing. So much screen work space.

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Personally I am not looking forward to what 4k may do to the plasma market. I do not wanna see the plasma market killed. As far as I am aware pixel density at the 4k level is no possible with current plasma technology. I would make rather have the much better contrast, colors, and view angles of plasma over a 4k LCD (led) set.

Panasonic took over the Pioneer Kuro plasma business and have announced to stop manufacturing plasmas... #

kenosecon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
end of 2014? at that point I want an 8k tv... if apple don't release a tv in today's event I'm getting an LG like tomorrow...

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
They cannot do that for that price. Simple as that. If they could, everyone else would have.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
If Apple is releasing a 4K Cinema Display tomorrow, a 4K Apple TV seems less absurd. I still can't help thinking it will be very expensive, though.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Panasonic took over the Pioneer Kuro plasma business and have announced to stop manufacturing plasmas... ��

That rumor was debunked. Panasonic addressed that rumor by saying they have no plans to phase out plasmas. It would be suicide anyway since most of their tv's they sell are plasmas as they are by far the highest volume seller of plasma televisions. Not many specifically look to buy panasonic lcds.

Unfortunately, the same analysts who spread these stories about apple spread the same kind of garbage about panasonic.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Bloomberg shared the report, claiming the displays will have a frameless design with suppliers including LG for display panels, Samsung for graphical processing, and Corning's Gorilla Glass 3 for glass covers with units priced from $1,500 to $2,500. Foxconn would be used for final assembly for initial delivery in the fourth quarter of 2014, according to the analyst.

LGsungfoxcorn TV - with an Apple logo = $$$

..coming soon. maybe 2014.. maybe 2016... i love these annual Apple TV analysts claims

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
On a related news, an analyst predicts Apple will eventually release a new Mac within the next 5 years. Maybe.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Best Buy has a sony and a samsung 4K TV on display. They both look pretty fantastic. I'm waiting until the 80" ones start dropping in price though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.