Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Silicon Alley Insider reports on a research note from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who cites fellow analyst Chris Larsen as giving Apple a 70% chance of launching an iPhone on Verizon sometime next year. According to Silicon Alley Insider, there are a number of good reasons to expect Apple to make the move to Verizon:
- Because Verizon is the biggest U.S. carrier, and could help Apple sell millions more phones per year.
- Because Apple is no doubt aware that AT&T, its current iPhone partner, is majorly flaking on network quality in big markets like New York and San Francisco.
- Because Verizon would otherwise continue to invest heavily in Apple rivals like Google Android and RIM BlackBerry.
- Because the smartphone market is a platform land grab and Apple can't afford to lose ground -- even at the risk of complicating their product line or back-end systems.
There are, however, a number of reasons why such a deal may not occur in 2010, such as difficulties reaching a revenue sharing agreement, increased handset subsidies from AT&T to maintain its exclusivity agreement, and the apparently tenuous relationship between Verizon and Apple as the iPhone maker stands by its U.S. partner AT&T in its ongoing spat with Verizon.

Reports have also centered on the need for Apple to produce different iPhone hardware if it wishes to offer 3G connectivity on Verizon's network due to differences between Verizon's system and that used by all current iPhone carriers. Some speculators have claimed that Apple would be more likely to wait for the converged roll-out of 4G technology that would allow for a single type of hardware across all providers, possibly delaying a Verizon iPhone roll-out until 2011 or 2012 when the carrier achieves broad 4G coverage.

But Silicon Alley Insider notes that even then the iPhone would almost certainly need the capability of falling back to 3G networks where 4G is not yet available, necessitating multiple hardware models or possibly a multi-mode hybrid chip currently under development by Qualcomm that could support both types of 3G networks.

Offering a different perspective on Piper Jaffray's report, Fortune points to other strategies Apple could be looking to employ for the 2010 revision of the iPhone: battery improvements and RFID-enabled payment technology.
-Give the iPhone a battery that lasts longer than one day. "Apple has introduced advanced battery technology with its portable Macs," he writes, "and we expect the company to dramatically improve the iPhone battery life with the next several hardware launches."
-Turn the iPhone into a digital wallet. Munster predicts that future iPhones will have built-in RFID (radio-frequency identification) technology, allowing them to make retail payments with a single swipe.

Article Link: Analyst Predictions for 2010 iPhone: 70% Chance of Verizon, Battery Improvements, RFID

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
So all this says is that the iPhone may or may not be coming to Verizon? We've known that. The battery is a given, as it was upgraded with the release of the 3GS and more dramatic changes should be expected now.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I personally wish they would bring the iPhone to either T-Mobile or Sprint because I don't want to be paying the prices of big blue or red. My first gen data planless iPhone on T-Mobile is getting a little long in the tooth, and if the iPhone does not come out on either T-Mobile or Sprint I will probably get some sort of Android phone with Snapdragon next year.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
It's all about money these days and not the consumer... Apple would sell a crap load more phones if they offered the phone on VZW. That and the average consumer will not care about a 4G phone. Just release the 3G for VZW now, and make a super duper 4G iPhone later on.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65832
Aug 1, 2000
this is a great idea i hope apple does. open up the iphone. maybe to several providers. Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint

Verizon has the best wireless broadband network for coverage in the usa.

Shouldn't be a problem to create a chip which can be used on Verizon, LTE and the new GSM standard ATT is using as an interm.

Apple ought to just end the ATT exclusivity asap. its a pain and i hate ATT at this point.

ATT can't even launch Microcell. they have been dragging their heels on this service and even put in there a restriction via a GPS locator, so you can't take the device out of the country. no other cell providers have complained about this. but ATT???? they must be concerned about people going up to places like canada or the carribean and bringing their microcell's with them. When and if they ever launch the product.

and as for RFID tech, its a boneheaded idea because it is so unprotected. hackers can just scan them as they walk by

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Did the research note include the possible color selections of new iPhones as "black, possibly also white"?

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Instead of spending more money paying Apple subsidies, why doesn't AT&T just spend that money to fix their network?

agengler

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2001
I'm usually one of those "early adopters", but I live in the boonies and only Verizon gives good coverage, or I would have had an iPhone years ago.

idiosyncratic i

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2007
-Give the iPhone a battery that lasts longer than one day. "Apple has introduced advanced battery technology with its portable Macs," he writes, "and we expect the company to dramatically improve the iPhone battery life with the next several hardware launches."

This guy does not understand the nature of mac battery improvements. The most impressive gains made in the macbook pro line came from making the batteries non-removable. That is, they took out the mechanisms that allowed you to take out the battery in order to make more room for battery. You can't do that in iPhone. The battery is already non-removable. I'm sure there will be incremental gains in battery life, because there always are. But I'd be really shocked if the battery life shoots up from ~1 day to ~2 days.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
This guy does not understand the nature of mac battery improvements. The most impressive gains made in the macbook pro line came from making the batteries non-removable. That is, they took out the mechanisms that allowed you to take out the battery in order to make more room for battery. You can't do that in iPhone. The battery is already non-removable. I'm sure there will be incremental gains in battery life, because there always are. But I'd be really shocked if the battery life shoots up from ~1 day to ~2 days.

From a 1/3 or so to a day would be nice.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I'd assume T Mobile would be a logical first choice for Apple to go to...Verizon might make sense to, they'd get their device out of the way of a huge corporation(currently all Verizon ads have targeted AT&T and Apple, I'm sure Apple would love to see that go to just targeting AT&T)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Only 70% chance, I need to decide on whether I want to wait for this possible new iphone or move to the palm pre come January?

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
lol how should they improve batterylife significantly? apple didn't invent a new battery technology, they simply made more room for a bigger battery.

as to RFID... pffff... apple will give us ANYTHING to sell MORE ANYTHING... it's not really about the consumers needs, just about apple's sales... e.g. they added WIFI to the touch just to let you buy on the app store (of course it makes sense from apple's opoint of view..., nevertheless it sucks to know that you only get what pays off for apple...)

refine the OS, software is the key (TO ME), not useless gimmicks like RFID...

(pls no debate about eco 101... apple is a business, shareholdes blabla, i know)

PlayRadioPlay

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Since my contract will be up next year, I would switch to Verizon in a heartbeat if the iPhone went there.

bennifer3000

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Please Apple, I've been an AT&T customer for 6 years and am tired of their terrible everything and I don't want to illegally jailbreak my phone.

Cheaper rates would be cool too Verizon. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.