Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nothing2seehere

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
iOS products can be upgraded in capacity for interim upgrades. Personally I have no use for a new iPhone until there is a 128 GB option. Capacity increases have really been lagging since the transition to solid state media.

So......... out of curiosity: what Android/Windows Phone phone with 128gb storage are you currently using?

Note:
Rhetorical; you are NOT. You are faking needs to criticize Apple for not having something that almost nobody needs. Like you, for example, have somehow been surviving, though a 128gb ssd phone currently doesn't exist anywhere in this world.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Premium iPhone (6, 6s, etc) model refreshed in the fall followed by the C model in the spring (taking some of the power and feature cues from the premium model that released half a year earlier). Watch it happen.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Apple makes most of they dough on memory upgrades since they charge a full $100 for every increment. So you want 128GB - it extra $300.00 - Apple memory cost is about $45 more!

I understand that, but people seem most obsessed with the simple existence of a 16gb device, and how their data cant fit on 16gb. I se fewer posts along the lines of "i am disappointed with the price point of each capacity of iphone" and more of "16 gb is too tiny in 2013 to fit all of my stuffs." Those people, it would be seem, would be happy if the 16gb was axed but the pricing of the other models stayed the same. If its otherwise, their issue shouldnt be with the 16gb entry point, but iphone pricing in general.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
I think it's a terrible idea. HTC tried it, they used to make two excellent phones a year... one high, one mid and you knew where you were. They then started down the Samsung route of trying to fill every market gap possible and ended up with a confusing gaggle of mediocre phones with bizarre mixes of features. If they hadn't went that route they would very likely have been a much stronger contender against Samsung in the android market. Too many phones released too many times in the year will weaken the iPhone not strengthen it. They should go the route everyone expected them to. The premium version at much the same entry price point (but stop ripping us off on the larger memory phones), and a mid range with an entry point of around £250 (and again stop ripping us off on the larger memory phones). At that price the 5C would have been much more popular due to the larger price gap between it and the 5S and people would probably overlook it being unapologetically plastic. At the price they have it, I don't know why anyone would really want to pick it over the 5S.

nothing2seehere

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
2013 : iPhone 5S is the best!! Screw Galaxucks they make phones that i cant use with one hand!!

2014 : im loving my iPhone 6 with bigger screen!! Apple didnt copy/follow Samsung! Apple just needed time to make it perfect!!

2013 : Samsheeps will cry over their 6 months cycles. Their brand new phone gets outdated too soon!!

2014 : Apple is genius! This 5 months cycles will allow Apple to offer consumers newer technology fast as they can.

More likely, they will stagger their new phone releases... You won't see a shared event for C & S series again, as each will be a new phone .... brought out about 6 months apart...

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I understand that, but people seem most obsessed with the simple existence of a 16gb device, and how their data cant fit on 16gb. I se fewer posts along the lines of "i am disappointed with the price point of each capacity of iphone" and more of "16 gb is too tiny in 2013 to fit all of my stuffs." Those people, it would be seem, would be happy if the 16gb was axed but the pricing of the other models stayed the same. If its otherwise, their issue shouldnt be with the 16gb entry point, but iphone pricing in general.

I believe when some people "hate 16GB model" mean they want Apple axes the model AND replace it with the higher end model instead.

So 32GB would be in the same price of 16GB as of today, 64GB as 32GB and 128GB in exchange of 64GB. No more 16GB, please.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
yipes..

the Apple eco system just got more crowded...

Well.. if Apple does this.. it will be great for us :apple:

But, them competition will need to to this do ....

(edits: getting to be like peak-hour traffic)

...or xmas coming on a more regular now.

Captain Obvious

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
I predict a shift away from internal drives for iPhone 6. I see a black lipstick tube with no internal drive but 6 thunderbolt 2 ports.

swm

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2013
according to Huberty, Apple will be able to utilize its dual product lineup for "multiple refreshes per year."

who the hell needs more new devices? i'm with more mature products rather than more frequent product refreshes.
make it (near) perfect.

customer demands? come on. if it wasn't for ios7, iphone4 would be "snappy" enough.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Tim Cook is a great, even brilliant logistics administrator, but he has a long way to go to be close to the visionary that Jobs was. Ives is the only other person we have seen come out of Apple that gets even close to that vision.

Why do people expect Tim Cook to be Steve Jobs?

Then, be disappointed in he and Apple when he cannot be?

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Perhaps Apple should forget the generation numbers and go with a series of 3 phones for simplicity like luxury car manufacturers do...

BMW: 3, 5, 7 series
Mercedes: C, E, S, class
Audi: A4, A6, A8 series

They should make an iPhone A, B, & C class and refresh them every one or two years, what ever feels right.

iPhone A: Good, plastic, 4" screen. $450 / $0
iPhone B: Better, aluminum, 4" screen. $550 / $100
iPhone C: Best, aluminum, 4.7 or 4.9" $650 / $200

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I believe when some people "hate 16GB model" mean they want Apple axes the model AND replace it with the higher end model instead.

So 32GB would be in the same price of 16GB as of today, 64GB as 32GB and 128GB in exchange of 64GB. No more 16GB, please.

So, put more simply, they think each iPhone is about $100 overpriced.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Please no.

Half the reason apple maintains such a lead is that they only have the best product available and nothing else. (maybe not a lead but single model quality)

More models does not more sales make!

Apple should drop the 5c in my opinion and go for two sizes (like laptops) of iphone mini 4inch and iphone (plus) 5-6 inch. You can stagger the larger and smaller releases and pretty much have only two teams. More people on the two products means better quality and less opportunity to confuse customers.

The 5c is too similar to the 5s and looks like it's poor cousin despite not actually being cheap enough!

There should always be a maximum of two physical sizes and 3 capacities. This is the optimal arrangement and lets a customer make a choice in store on their own without the need to go into specs which mean nothing to 99% of people the ones without the geek gene.

5c was such a mistake and should be buried by apple quick sharp in next gen. It might survive a yearly refresh but will bit the dust next redesign.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Perhaps Apple should forget the generation numbers and go with a series of 3 phones for simplicity like luxury car manufacturers do...

BMW: 3, 5, 7 series
Mercedes: C, E, S, class
Audi: A4, A6, A8 series

They should make an iPhone A, B, & C class and refresh them every one or two years, what ever feels right.

iPhone A: Good, plastic, 4" screen. $450 / $0
iPhone B: Better, aluminum, 4" screen. $550 / $100
iPhone C: Best, aluminum, 4.7 or 4.9" $650 / $200

Although I dont think better and best are the right way of describing it. For many an iphone B is better than iphone C, just like for many an M3 is better than whatever the lowest 7 series is these days.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Another load of rubbish pulled from the depths of the arse of a so called 'analyst'...

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Lots of rage from fanboys who finally can't justify an upgrade of the frequency of every 6 months.

Still, I foresee each product line (the high and 'mid' range) keeping their yearly update cycle, just staggered out.

And hopefully Apple will eventually decide that 16GB is so 2008.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I never understood the way people appear insulted by the existence of a 16gb device in the line up. Some people seem to become almost obsessed with how all their apps and music could not fit on a 16gb device. Would they be less insulted if Apple simply axed the 16gb model and changed nothing?

It's not that I'm insulted by the 16gb model. It's that Apple hasn't dropped the 16gb low end storage in favor of 32gb for the low end storage and adding a 128gb high end option, while keeping the same price points.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
It's not that I'm insulted by the 16gb model. It's that Apple hasn't dropped the 16gb low end storage in favor of 32gb for the low end storage and adding a 128gb high end option, while keeping the same price points.

16GB is perfect for lots of people. I know several.

The issue here is that people are not being honest with themselves. They are reluctant to say "I want to pay $100 less for 32 GB", because, a. it underscores how little power they, as individuals, have relative to Apple, and b. they think "I want" makes them appear selfish. So they offer up strategic statements as to how Apple should do business, making themselves feel generous in providing their sage advise to Apple on behalf of the world community. It's a lot of noise. The facts are: a. you do have little power relative to Apple, and b. selfishness-- making buying decisions to satisfy your own needs-- is your best weapon, so you should not be ashamed to use it.

As someone who drives new product development, I listen carefully to customers who can articulate their own problems, needs and desires. To be honest, people who tell me how we should run our business on behalf of some larger market have a lot less credibility as input.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
So, put more simply, they think each iPhone is about $100 overpriced.

You don't? This is nearly 2014 and basic 16GB model has been exist for what? 4, 5 years? Time to up the game and show who's king?

iPad and iPhone has already been a PITA by not having external storage. So having a great internal would be the best way to make it up.

The 5C might have quite a long product life, gradually sinking over the next few years to become Apple's entry-level phone. Clearly it's the more 'fun' phone and a simple refresh could be merely to offer different colour choices. And maybe towards its end-of-life, being refreshed with Touch ID capability, giving yet another year of life. By then development costs will be well and truly written off and prices can be lowered slightly to help hit some more sweet spots.

Not sure I see multiple refreshes for the 5S, but certainly Apple has the chance to separate its iPhone product updates and launches rather than have all its eggs in the third quarter of the year.

I was concerned that I'd find the iPhone 5 rather large for my trouser leg pocket, but I really don't notice it's there, so I'm up for a slightly larger screen.

Dragonfly47

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
Atlanta Metro
On the positive side though, I hope I can finally get an iPhone (or iPad) with the hardware that 2013 commands. I still can't believe they're selling a 16gb iphone... I understand they make a ton of margins but this makes them seem stubborn/stuck to adapt to changing consumer/technology preferences

/rant

It apparently didn't stop You from buying one.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.