Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I'm very fortunate to have had great AT&T service. In fact it's been getting even better over the last few years. I live in the upstate of SC.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
There will be no verizon iPhone until after 2012 mark my words....and even then Verizon may NEVER get iPhone on it's network....remember I said it and if I'm wrong I'll eat the crow...but I doubt it...Apple DOES NOT WANT GOOGLE ESTABLISHING A RELATIONSHIP WITH AT&T (The largest GSM cell provider in the US)and when and if Apple and AT&T's agreement ends Who do you think Google will snuggle up with?

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
There will be no verizon iPhone until after 2012 mark my words....and even then Verizon may NEVER get iPhone on it's network....remember I said it and if I'm wrong I'll eat the crow...but I doubt it...Apple DOES NOT WANT GOOGLE ESTABLISHING A RELATIONSHIP WITH AT&T (The largest GSM cell provider in the US)and when and if Apple and AT&T's agreement ends Who do you think Google will snuggle up with?

Hate to break it to you but Google has the better service right now. I don't think Apple cares if Google goes to AT&T. Let them have that garbage if they really want it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
50% off? Wait, so otherwise the data rate would have been $30/month for 250 megs or $60/month for unlimited??

Yep. He wants us to believe that Apple went to ATT and said "hey even though T-Mobile's 3g is a totally different band and worthless at the moment and we don't want to make a CDMA phone, we'll give you 6 more months of 'exclusive' service on the iphone if you treat the ipad like a big phone and not a baby computer with your data plan"

And ATT said okay.

Mind you he has no proof that the contract was actually ending this year in the first place.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
A recent independent study that shows fastest speeds might disagree with you there. Also, as per network coverage, Sprint has the worst, they have bare minimal and make it up in roaming.

well they att may have fastest speeds, but they dont have the coverage..so its fastest because its minimal and in smaller sprouts than a total wide spectrum and coverage area.

while not only do their wireless and cell coverage suck, apparently so does their employee health coverage;

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Seems Blackberry and other smartphone manufacturers put dual chips in some of their smart phones so they can work on both types of networks.

but those other manufacturers produce many different phones.. much different than the way apple does. look even at the newest BB 9700. two models for different 3G bands. Apple has done a good job at creating a single device that is sold all over the world. Also, those dual chips usually just add dual band or quadband gsm/edge to their phones so they can market them as "world phones" instead of just cdma. never is there really a gsm/hspa based phone that also includes cdma radio in case you need to roam on cdma.

i really think if they wanted to expand within the US, they just need to add AWS band making the iphone quadband 3G instead of triband 3G. that would allow it to get on tmobile and the new carriers in canada, without major modification to the phone.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Yep. He wants us to believe that Apple went to ATT and said "hey even though T-Mobile's 3g is a totally different band and worthless at the moment and we don't want to make a CDMA phone, we'll give you 6 more months of 'exclusive' service on the iphone if you treat the ipad like a big phone and not a baby computer with your data plan"

And ATT said okay.

Mind you he has no proof that the contract was actually ending this year in the first place.

Well most have said that the original contract for the iPhone was for 5 years which would take it from 2007-2012.

ipadking

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
CA
Let's just hope Sprint rolls out their 4g data wimax in many areas as possible. The problem with wireless data is that there's no competition. Just imagine if Apple could'nt get the iPad data plan down the $30 a month, I don't think anyone would spend $60 a month for data, unless your a business professional who really needs it. We really have to thank Apple for pushing data to $30 a month, otherwise, we all would just be on Wifi. This will force Verizon to lower their data plans for Android tablets in the future. I believe that in about 2 to 3 years, everyone will have iPad with 3g, accessing data wherever they are, instead of a blackberry/iPhone. Once you use an iPad, you don't want to use the small screen of a smartphone. Let's see what Dell does with its Streak 5" tablet, and what price the data plan on that will be.

rossihvac

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
If you don't like att, then leave already. Every time an article like this pops up, all these anti att rants pop up and start whining that att sucks and verizon is great. The bottom line is that apple would rather have a company with better technology backing up there phone. Verizon CDMA is garbage. I live in Long Island, NY and i have great coverage, no dropped calls and I travel all over the island. Until verizon jumps to LTE WE WILL NEVER SEE A VERIZON IPHONE!

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
People its just a phone

People please it is just a phone. Stop acting like your decision to go with Verizon Sprint, AT&T is all about the direction the iphone takes. If you like Verizon's network, go get you a phone that is compatible on their network. If you like Sprint's network, do the same. This is not that big of a deal.

I have AT&T and a iphone, but I also use Sprint for most I my broadband needs. My brother uses Verizon as does my sister. It's all about what suits you best. As for all this discussion about dropped calls is really hilarious. People on here amaze me sometimes. "Well AT%T has more dropped calls than Verizon, So I am staying with Verizon." Ok so what? Nobody gives a ****.

Dropped calls can be a bit annoying from time to time, but what does it take, about two seconds to get the person back on the line. Come on it's not the end of the world. I very rarely have dropped calls, other people have them more frequently. But dropped calls are a part of every network. Dropped calls wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Now no service is a different story. That is why there are other options. If you have one carrier and get no service in a particular area, then switch to another carrier that does offer service in that area. The iphone is just a phone. It will not make you breakfast in the morning.

jazman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I hope it's not true. I have been holding on to this Blackberry with Verizon waiting for the iPhone in June/July. I may get desperate and get a <don't say it> ...Droid <oohhh>. Sorry Apple. You need to be looking out for me. Ain't no way I'm switch'n to AT&T.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
OMG I'm practically on the verge of tears here. Please someone give me a convincing argument that Tmo will be getting the iPhone this summer. :( I really want that new iPhone but I don't want to pay around $100 a month for really crappy cell service.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Yes, the damn network HAS to be upgraded. No, it's not just "software."

No network upgrade is needed for SVDO. It's totally done on the handset. And no one said it was just "software".

At this time, I know of NO plans for ANY of the major carriers to go with 1X Advanced.

Okay, that's where you got confused.

1X Advanced is for increasing capacity. It has nothing to do with SVDO, and SVDO is not reliant on it.

Also, those dual chips usually just add dual band or quadband gsm/edge to their phones so they can market them as "world phones" instead of just cdma. never is there really a gsm/hspa based phone that also includes cdma radio in case you need to roam on cdma.

The Verizon Imagio, Touch Pro 2 and Storm all have UMTS, and at least the HTCs have HSDPA and HSUPA.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
WTF. I said that the day they announced the iPad agreement.

Me > all analysts?

Seriously though, form all signs it seems pretty clear that AT&T was able to extend their iPhone exclusivity and the iPad deal was part of that.

I am sorry for Verizon people waiting but all evidence has pointed to this for a very long time now.

I am glad I could help some analysts do their jobs, even if they were only many many many months behind me.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I'm going to fake an email from sjobs that says "Hi, we are coming to Verizon next year, be patient" and see if it gets reported on the front page. I mean, I know this is mac RUMORS, but this Verizon thing is getting rediculous. This guy has no proof to the claims he's making, and all he's doing it stirring up the people who don't get AT&T service in their house and want to switch to Verizon.

Don't expect Apple and Verizon to do anything together anytime soon.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Argh, when will people realize that your phone connectivity varies from where you are (i.e. no network is good everywhere). If Verizon works best in your area for you, why are you using an iPhone at all and not using a droid phone on Verizon ?

I really did think we had moved past this ignorance.

Phone service is entirely area dependent. Find the service which works best in your area and go with it.

Before I had AT&T, I had Verizon. I had to walk at least 50 feet away from my house in a direction to get a signal or receive a call. With messed with them for years on it and when we switched to AT&T it still sucked. We got AT&T and has not been a problem since.

Coverage is different for networks in different areas. So people making blanket accusations are just being ignorant.

I feel bad for people who really do not have good coverage in their home with AT&T and are stuck with another carrier. If the iPhone originally came out on Verizon I would be in their same boat being on AT&T and being unable to use Verizon.

However this is not the case for most of the people blindly ranting about AT&T.

EchoTheDolphin

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
First I'd like to reiterate that there was zero evidence that the iPhone was coming to Verizon. All that was said was on Verizon's end and it didn't point to anything at all.

Secondly, I love AT&T's service in all the areas I've been, metro and not so much. Sure, I've had a dropped call now and again, but nothing worth complaining about. Most of my friends have the same story.

Finally, as to all the 'I'll just take my business elsewhere...' crowd, just do it and talk about what you have, not what you want, or what you wish for, or how you think things are. Make a decision, don't wait out for something and get disappointed. It's like the people who dropped $500+ on an iPad and then felt they had the right to tell Apple how wrong they got it when 1,000,000+ other people disagreed in a way that MATTERED.

Just take this from my perspective: a happy ATT iPhone customer who has a verizon salesman roommate. Yes, it's ridiculous and stupid.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
This tells me that Verizon didn't try hard enough. I'm quite sure Apple talked to Verizon about the original iPhone and blew them off when they told them what AT&T was willing to give. I have no doubt the same thing is going on here for the iPad. It's pretty clear that Verizon doesn't care enough about Apple's products to want 85 million new customers. Okay, that's a stretch but not by much I'm sure.

I am pretty sure Verizon sucks at negotating with Apple. I suspect they don't have any clue how to deal with Apple and essentially continually insult them in negotiations.

I am sure Apple was more than willing to let Verizon get into the game on the iPad but once again Verizon blew it. So much so that At&t and Apple were able to come to a good deal and also extend their iPhone exclusivity.

These signs should be pretty clear that Verizon is not on the verge of doing anything with Apple. Verizon is going to have to capitulate pretty big at this point to get into the iPhone game, and there is no sign of them doing it any time soon.

Pfft, Droid Incredible. There will be 32 new iterations of the Droid by Feb. 2011...

SuperDuperAwesomeDroid with Android V2.351A-100b (not compatible with Android v2.351B-100a or v2.351B-100c)

well they att may have fastest speeds, but they dont have the coverage..so its fastest because its minimal and in smaller sprouts than a total wide spectrum and coverage area.

while not only do their wireless and cell coverage suck, apparently so does their employee health coverage;

I don't even know what to make of the first part and the second part is just flat wrong. AT&T employs close to 200k people. They have employees that do all sorts of things. Lots of them are in Unions. Lots of those unions have some of the best health care coverage of anyone in the world. That story does not talk about any of that or actually talk about AT&T really dropping health care, nor does it specify for which classes of employees.

That is off topic though.

Back to your comment on speed, so AT&T is faster because they have bad coverage? I am just going to chalk this up to you not really understanding how networking works.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
However this is not the case for most of the people blindly ranting about AT&T.

Word. The kids hate on AT&T because their lame friends tell them to. Seriously, if Apple had gone with Verizon originally (or, to be more accurate, if Verizon hadn't been dumb enough to turn Apple away), we'd be hearing about how much Verizon sucked. The more successful Apple becomes, the louder and more agitated the online anti-Apple chatter.

Here's the bottom line: ALL WIRELESS CARRIERS SUCK. The end.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Word. The kids hate on AT&T because their lame friends tell them to. Seriously, if Apple had gone with Verizon originally (or, to be more accurate, if Verizon hadn't been dumb enough to turn Apple away), we'd be hearing about how much Verizon sucked. The more successful Apple becomes, the louder and more agitated the online anti-Apple chatter.

Here's the bottom line: ALL WIRELESS CARRIERS SUCK. The end.

You refute your own statement. :eek:

You called "Verizon dumb for turning Apple away", then explain that "we'd be hearing about how much Verizon sucked if they had an initial agreement with Apple." :confused:

It is TRUE all carriers facing the iPhone's data surge could potentially cause harm to their network because of the demand for data. But, if any could do it & do the task well - It would be Verizon. They are ahead of AT&T by a couple years in most levels of deploying newer technology & beefing up their infrastructure. Verizon has been the best all-around carrier throughout the states for years now...

Bottom Line: People want a Verizon iPhone because they know there is not a chance they would go to a sub-par carrier like AT&T... They want the best of both worlds - good phone & good service.

Apple needs to realize there is a ticking time-bomb before Android gains heavy market saturation from ALL carriers...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
You refute your own statement. :eek:

You called "Verizon dumb for turning Apple away", then explain that "we'd be hearing about how much Verizon sucked if they had an initial agreement with Apple." :confused:

Allow me to clear up your confusion. Verizon was dumb to turn down the iPhone. Yet if they had not done so, all the Apple haters would be ranting and raving about how crummy Verizon service was, and geez, why can't Apple offer the iPhone on AT&T? Because anything associated with Apple these days is contemptible, you see.

It's not that difficult to understand.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
Allow me to clear up your confusion. Verizon was dumb to turn down the iPhone. Yet if they had not done so, all the Apple haters would be ranting and raving about how crummy Verizon service was, and geez, why can't Apple offer the iPhone on AT&T? Because anything associated with Apple these days is contemptible, you see.

You're speculating to speculate... In fact, Verizon may or may not have been dumb years back when they didn't work out a deal with Apple, I really don't know what all the stipulations were with a Verizon & Apple agreement.

I don't think anyone does... I just know Apple now needs Verizon more than Verizon needs Apple.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006

Verizon's share prices have done better than AT&T share prices since June 2007 when the first iphone was launched.

It means only ONE thing --- Verizon's decision was the correct one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.