Analysys Expect Intel Macs in January

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,471
8,533


The Examiner/Bloomberg News reports that a number of analysts are expecting Apple to introduce Intel-based Macs in January at Macworld San Francisco.

"Unidentified industry sources" are cited as the source of this information.

While this could represent independent sources, it may also simply represent the same stories that have been reported at MacRumors over the past few weeks.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
YES! :D I'm hoping so.

I'm expecting Apple would, in order to get the ball rolling for late developers in the transition to move over to x86 as soon as possible. As a WWDC member, I'd love to own an Intel PB than 'rent' an Intel G5 develop machine.

Here's to new Intel PowerBooks!
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,345
12,409
Lacero said:
YES! :D I'm hoping so.
Post whore!:D Posts a one line response to be first and then goes back to edit it.

Lots of Intel rumors, the real question is which line get them.
 

sjo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2005
509
0
Ok, that's that then. No hope for Intel Macs in January :(

I mean when did the analysts got something right? Monkeys throwing darts at stock listings have higher accuracy in their predictions :rolleyes:
 

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
1,782
100
London, UK
Well we all know they are going to release something, we just don't know what that is.

I am hoping for the PowerBooks (probably like most here), but I am expecting the Mac mini.

Although there is one bit of evidence that Apple has some highend laptops coming because ATI is apparently holding off announcing the X1800M (it's highend mobile graphics chip) until certain partners announce laptops with the chip in.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
rdowns said:
Lots of Intel rumors, the real question is which line get them.
In the professional space, the PowerBook line is in dire need of an update. I see this getting the Yonahs before the iBook line. Apple's going to suck dry all the potential of PPC for as long as they can. The iBook line is the perfect suckage machine.

In the consumer space, we'll see the mac minis getting the low-power Intel chips, plus the speed needed to decode (or encode) HD H.264 on the fly. Cooler chip also means less fan noise; a must if Apple wants its products at home in the livingroom.
 

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
762
26
Dallas, Tx
12in Powerbook G4 for sale!

These industry sources could also be the ones that predicted this Intel switch back in June. There are a lot of rumbles regarding this SF Circus, and I am ready to spend (as soon as I unload my G4).
 

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
5,032
886
Canada
hvfsl said:
Although there is one bit of evidence that Apple has some highend laptops coming because ATI is apparently holding off announcing the X1800M (it's highend mobile graphics chip) until certain partners announce laptops with the chip in.
Wait a minute... "Apple" and "highend graphics chip" usually doesn't go in the same sentence. ;)
 

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
1,639
218
New Zealand
Yvan256 said:
Wait a minute... "Apple" and "highend graphics chip" usually doesn't go in the same sentence. ;)
They do better with graphics chips in laptops than most companies.

On another note, how does one know ATI is waiting for anyone. Does someone have a link to a statement that verifies this rumor?
 

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
1,071
0
Georgia
Mactels! iLife! New TV shows! Apple-branded iPod accessories! Maybe even The Beatles!

*rapidly breathing into brown paper sack*
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,551
1,186
I don't consider these reports strong evidence, but I DO think it's LIKELY to be soon (announced at least, maybe not shipping right away).

And the evidence for it NOT being soon seems much weaker.

But which model(s) will be first? Could be any of the three G4 lines--but I think the other G4 Macs will follow within a month or two, so I'll try not to be TOO disappointed if the PowerBook I want doesn't show up January 10.

And I think some of the current G4 models will be STILL be sold, alongside the new ones, so people can choose what they want--based on how long-term their needs are, and what apps they demand top speed from. (I use Photoshop all the time, but not for huge images--so I don't demand top speed from it. And I want the next generation platform, so I'm willing to settle for months of Rosetta for some things.)

Apple has sold the old model alongside the new one several times since Jobs' return, and it would help ease this transition just like it has in the past (OS 9 to X, G4 to G5, etc.).
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
Porchland said:
Mactels! iLife! New TV shows! Apple-branded iPod accessories! Maybe even The Beatles!

*rapidly breathing into brown paper sack*
I think you've nailed it, as for which mactels we will see in january as that is the question, it's gonna be the notebooks and possibly mac mini's we see move to intel first with the new powerbook's sporting built in iSight a la iMac....

Shadow
 

Peace

macrumors Core
Apr 1, 2005
19,467
3,833
Space--The ONLY Frontier
Porchland said:
Mactels! iLife! New TV shows! Apple-branded iPod accessories! Maybe even The Beatles!

*rapidly breathing into brown paper sack*
Don't know if it means anything but the John Lennon Bus is going to be at Macworld for the first time this year.
And if you try to download the floorplan that was dated 11/29 it says :The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had it's name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
 

alec

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
233
0
Washington DC
haha, another 3 to 4 weeks of guessing please! Though I do love the guessing, it keeps me entertained until I actually learn the truth
 

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
1,782
100
London, UK
pgwalsh said:
They do better with graphics chips in laptops than most companies.

On another note, how does one know ATI is waiting for anyone. Does someone have a link to a statement that verifies this rumor?
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28311

'It's been up and running for a few weeks now, but ATI is waiting for its partners to announce the design before it starts talking about it.'
 

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
643
0
Norwood, MA
hvfsl said:
Well we all know they are going to release something, we just don't know what that is.

I am hoping for the PowerBooks (probably like most here), but I am expecting the Mac mini.

Although there is one bit of evidence that Apple has some highend laptops coming because ATI is apparently holding off announcing the X1800M (it's highend mobile graphics chip) until certain partners announce laptops with the chip in.
Intel dual core Powerbook with ATI X1800M PCIe graphics. *drooling* Finaly a real power machine. That "new" Powerbook release last month with inhanced display resolution was just foreplay to get you in the mood. x86 rules you!!
 

jcontonio

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2002
14
0
dornoforpyros said:
Man I wish I could have a job as an analist so I could just repeat other people's research.
Or you could just work for macrumors.com and repeat everything appleinsider or thinksecret says. That's all this site is anyway.