Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
California
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets

Display: "These are the best calibration results we’ve come to measure not only in a smartphone, but likely any display. I have literally nothing negative to say about them, and in terms of picture quality, they are just the best displays on the market."

Network Connectivity: No discussion. One of the commenters stated he returned his due to poor networking performance.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wow, it didn't take Anandtech 5 months to review a new iPhone? Is that a record?
I still don't think they posted the review for the iPhone X yet.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Isn’t he employed by Apple now?

He is. But he stopped writing and turned the site over to his other editors. He doesn’t write anything for his site anymore to prevent any perceived Apple-favoritism.

All the articles are from old editors and new guys.

On a side note, yes, the review came rather quickly. It always takes around 3 months for Anandtech to review it. I love it cause you really do get a nice in depth review of the device.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
These cherry picked displays for reviews must be out of this world.

My XS display has both its white point significantly off from 6500k and its color accuracy is terrible when viewing certain shades and tones.

REFERENCE IMAGE: https://i.postimg.cc/q7wty6zY/Image-1.jpg
IPHONE 7 VS XS: https://i.postimg.cc/fbgFNbb1/226_E617_D-_A701-43_A2-_AC48-_F9_EB1_FDD546_F.png

Even the expensive consumer OLED tv's that cost $4000 or more still need to be professionally calibrated, because they are not accurate OOTB at 6500K. I have yet to own an OLED tv that has been accurate OOTB. Same with LCD.

whiskeysips

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Even the expensive consumer OLED tv's that cost $4000 or more still need to be professionally calibrated, because they are not accurate OOTB at 6500K. I have yet to own an OLED tv that has been accurate OOTB. Same with LCD.

All the LCD's on my Apple products have always given me fantastic results in terms of color accuracy. and I have owned many!!

Sure some had red tint, blue tint, yellow tint, and even green tint over the years, but for the most part the overall color reproduction was always spot on and never too dull or saturated from the source content!

I also own an LG OLED C6P, not close to $4000 but even so, the color reproduction on that OLED TV is pretty spot on the cinema mode out of box settings.

I can pull up the reference image on my TV when I get home from work.

This new iPhone is the only display in my house that has a color balance so far off that the source image turns brown!

I am not very sensitive to small changes, but I draw the line when entire colors become different colors instead of being displayed as incorrect shades!

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Interesting note about Apple's OLED power consumption:

"One thing to also very much to take into account is the base power consumption of the phones. The iPhone X, XS and XS Max all fluctuate around 480-500 mW when on a black screen, which is around 150mW more than the iPhone 8 LCD models. This might not sound much, but’s it’s an absolutely huge figure when taking into account that it’s an unavoidable power consumption of the phone whenever the screen is on. I do hope Samsung and Apple alike would be able to focus more on optimising this, as like we’re about to see, it will have an impact on battery life."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.