And so it begins....iBooks Author Lion only

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Gomff, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Seems like Apple's brave new world of reinventing the book is just for Lion users.....iBooks Author doesn't install on Snow Leopard.

I know I'm going to get hated for saying this by some here but personally speaking I think that's just lame, and a kick in the nuts for anyone holding out for a 10.6.9 update to support iCloud. Looks like if you want to be on the Apple bus, you've got to tow the line and use Lion.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This shouldn't be a surprise. To develop for iOS 5 you have to have Lion also... it's the price you pay for the Koolaid.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the same reason they didn't develop it for Leopard, Tiger, OS9, System 7. 10.6 is a legacy OS at this point and apple should not be constrained to produce new products on an OS that has been replaced.

4. Gomff thread starter macrumors 6502a

Leopard, Tiger and OS 9 etc are years old. Snow Leopard was still the latest OS until 6 months ago. There are plenty more people still using Snow Leopard compared to the other OS's you mentioned.

Anyway, I guess Snow Leopard users know where they stand now if there was any doubt about Apple's position.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sounds like you're just bitter. Lion is $30. If it's really that important to you, buy Lion.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The same position other OSX users were when apple released a new OS and started to develop Apps specific to the new OS.

This isn't a new phenomenon, apple creates apps/products for their current OS, always have.

Why produce an application on a deprecated platform at this point.

7. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Currently untrue, I am running Xcode 4.2 on Snow Leopard with iOS 5 SDK. But Apple's brave new world will soon mean you will need Lion to develop for iOS 5.1 with Xcode 4.3.

8. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Because their deprecated platform is better than their current one.

iBooks Author (as well as iCloud) don't work on Snow Leopard because Apple went out of their way to make them not work. They are using it as a tool to try and make people buy Lion. There really isn't any new frameworks being used or technical reasons why these won't work on Snow Leopard. Its just Apple trying to dictate things... again.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yup. And once OSX Pussycat appears in 2013, new tools and hardware will require that version. It is part of apples philosophy - like it or not.

Have you thought about those ebook authors that don't even own a Mac? At least you can upgrade for $30, they would have to buy a new PC.

Apple is very successful at binding people to their ecosystem. Want to develop iPhone/iPad apps? Better buy a mac. It's part of the companies strategy. Apple is the new Microsoft, at least in the smartphone and tablet market. We can just hope that Amazon, Google, MS and others are strong enough to hold against it, and prevent Apple from monopolizing some of these markets.

Just for the record, I'm a happy Lion user.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Better is subjective. Apple is moving forward on things, and so while you may not like it. Its a strategic decision by apple that has been in place for a long time. Just because you don't like Lion doesn't mean apple should now bend over backwards for some of the unhappy Lion users.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Apple's lack of support for their legacy software is what annoys me most about them. They oughta take a leaf outta Microsoft's book in my opinion, who support their software for more than a year. Saying that, this should come as no surprise to any of us. We all know that Apple never support their software for long and if you don't like it, don't use it.

I personally think this iBooks Author thing is mediocre. I don't see the big deal, nor do I see the point. Maybe I will once it matures and people start using it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I won't argue that point, but as long as I've used them they alway enforced the idea if you want their new apps/products you better be running on their current platform.

13. jpeyton macrumors newbie

14. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

you really dont see the point in interactive studying??

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

No. I used text books managed to get some high grades perfectly fine. In fact, I'm sort of opposed to it due to experiences I had at high school with it. It caused more hassle than what it was worth and in the end it seemed like they were just using technology for the sake of using technology, even if its a step backwards.

Anyway, I'm no expert, maybe this will take off and be really successful. But from my experience using technology as an interface for education all the time has been pointless. Kids who want to learn, will learn, no matter what.

16. beosound3200, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012

beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

haha, you really think that? you dont want your kid to have fun while learning? to be able to interact with his textbook? watch all those videos, 3d models so he/she can understand it better, and be fascinated with it?
    you see, for EVERY kid in the world today, especially teens in high schools, learning is a bad thing, a thing they dont wanna do but they have to, and if they think of it like that, they wont learn anything because they are not interested, not intrigued, and thats a very bad thing, possibly the worst...

there hasnt been changes in the school system for practically centuries, and every new thing, every shot at changing something should be welcomed dont you think?

did you watch the presentation from today? did you see those textbooks? i wish i had them in my days, dont you?

the most important thing in this world, above everything else, is the human educational system, everything else is secondary, because our future as human race depends on our children, and their knowledge, values etc. and it is our duty to make them interested, intrigued in that knowledge and in those values because thats the only way they are going to learn for real, and people that oppose improvements, do not welcome those improvements, or are just so narrow-minded that they dont see the big picture.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

18. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

-----

info already in the mkrishnan post

19. roadbloc, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012

roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Uh yeah, I do think that, thats why I posted it. And yes, I have watched the presentation.

Listen, I never claimed to be an expert. I never claimed that this was bound to fail. I simply shared my opinions and experience on the matter, that I don't think having a digital interface all the time whilst learning is always worth it and creates other problems such as distractions. I was not in any way saying it was rubbish and it won't be useful or it will never work. I'm sure that plenty people will find it useful.

20. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

man, im on lion and this seems like such a non-issue. :p you seem to be in so much distress.

21. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Don't forget iOS. You forgot iOS, and Apple still hasn't provided us with a way to READ eBooks on Lion. Now we can create eBooks, but to read we have to buy into another Apple device.
    If Apple's going to deliberately restrict access to their eBooks to iPhones, Pods and Pads*, they should also restrict the creation software to those devices.

Of course, that'd put a real kink in their author-base, insisting that everyone use what is after all a consumer OS for content creation.
    Rather than do that, Apple forces authors to debug their books via a cross-platform bridge. That's CRAZY! :mad:
    To heck with Snow-Leopard, it's old hat. This release betrays a minimal interest in Mac Lion users and content creators on Apple's part.

---
    * And it looks like they are. It's been over 1.5 years, and still no non-IOS eBook reader from Apple. They don't want people to read on their Mac.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

And you know this how?

23. thundersteele macrumors 68030

iOS apps are created with OSX but don't run there, unless you use the iPhone simulator.
    I'm sure the software that runs on ATMs is not written using ATMs, but some computer.
    Food is cooked in pans but eaten from plates.

I don't see why it is mandatory that ebooks can be read on OSX. It's not very convenient anyways, and since a lot of the features are touch screen based, it won't give the right experience.

24. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'm not sure about iCloud, but I thanks to various links posted in this thread, I know that iBooks Author can be made run on Snow Leopard by changing the OS version number in a Plist file. No actual reason why it can't run on Snow Leopard in the first place.

Not that I care.

25. Gomff, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Gomff thread starter macrumors 6502a

$30 is the last thing that this is about for me. I have Lion installed, bought it on day one.

I just hardly use it because for me, it's not as good as Snow Leopard.

This is about choice, and the lack thereof.

Also, the fact that it can be hacked to run on Snow Leopard demonstrates that it's an artificial restriction that has nothing to do with technical differences between SL and Lion.