Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Can confirm force quitting the app and re-opening was what I'd heard you should do, and what I did, and I got in and out in record time.

order.png

Reactions: dreamwife

Damstr

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2016
App store came online @ 3:03AM for me, done @ 3:04AM, Apple email confirmation @ 3:06AM.

Whole process took around 15 seconds. It was crazy fast.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Apple Store app didn’t go live for me until 3:05am. Still was able to secure launch day delivery; 256GB Space Grey.

I’m curious to how the Apple Store app lets people in on pre orders or when the app comes back online after being down for a release. Is there a switch, by geographic region, random luck of the draw, etc
Yeah I'd love to know the mechanics behind it. I had 3 iOS devices refreshing the app and eventually my phone got through (maybe 9 minutes past the hour)-- for the heck of it i tried refreshing those other 2 iPads again and still got the "come back later" message-- all were connected to the same wifi. Felt kind of like a lottery.

dreamwife

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Cupertino, California
I got in in 3 minutes via the app, took my webpage 20 mins, so you're experience doesn't match everyone else's. But it is a good idea to have both options ready.
I agree... I was in with the app 12:05, my MBP still couldn't get onto the website at 12:20... And since i had favorited what i wanted, it went through, with apple pay, perfectly, with confirmation email at 12:06.
[doublepost=1509126126][/doublepost]
Can confirm force quitting the app and re-opening was what I'd heard you should do, and what I did, and I got in and out in record time.

View attachment 728075
Us too. Force quit, and re-open. In and out in less that a minute. Once it let me in at 12:05. LOL. Nov 3. Date! <3

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
I kept refreshing constantly on my iPad, iPhone, and Mac book and nothing. Then I took off WiFi on my iPhone and at 2:05 it finally worked. It asked me what I was going to do with my NEXT plan phone and then went to pay. I will be receiving my Silver 256 gig iPhone November 4! It freaking asked me for my billing info on Apple pay AGAIN. By 2:08 got a conformation email from Apple. In the morning i got an email from ATT on my renewal of my NEXT plan. Then a little later they charged my credit card the taxes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah the Apple Store app was a non-updating, laggy, error prone pile of flaming garbage last night. Somehow I made it through with a reboot and some creative button mashing for a Nov 17-24 window.

Reactions: tekchic

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
Apple App worked perfectly for launch of latest watch. I was in and out in less than 2 minutes. I kept force closing the app and re-opening and it would no let me in until about 13 minutes after it should have. I kept seeing on twitter that people already had their confirmations. Once the store went active, it kept erring out when confirming with AT&T servers. I am now in the 2-3 week crowd.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I was refreshing both the app and the website from 2.55am EST. The app came live at 3.06am, and despite my having everything saved and favorited etc, and despite my completing the order in about 15 seconds (receipt is for 3.06am), I was slated for delivery Nov 10-17. This was for a T-Mobile Space Grey 256. I am only mentioning the specifics as I am seeing people that were still getting Nov 3rd delivery at 3.08am. The website did not go live for me until 3.12am in DC. I have fast internet (239mb down, pinging at .4). It seems it's pretty random what mileage people got last night

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I was refreshing both the app and the website from 2.55am EST. The app came live at 3.06am, and despite my having everything saved and favorited etc, and despite my completing the order in about 15 seconds (receipt is for 3.06am), I was slated for delivery Nov 10-17. This was for a T-Mobile Space Grey 256. I am only mentioning the specifics as I am seeing people that were still getting Nov 3rd delivery at 3.08am. The website did not go live for me until 3.12am in DC. I have fast internet (239mb down, pinging at .4). It seems it's pretty random what mileage people got last night

Very random. I have gigabit internet and I was refreshing web and app. Didn’t come online until around 3:10 or so. This isn’t my first rodeo either. Every other year the app was fast and quick. This year it failed hard. Even after placing my first order the app was still not showing the store up. Force closed at least 40 times.

kawa636r

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2016
Spain
On my side apple pay payment gave error 3 times and when done the delivery date switched from 3 nov to 21 nov. Very bad.

imalazeeass

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Aren't the iPhone upgrade customers their most important clients since we are guaranteed to upgrade yearly? Since they already allow us to pre-approve a week in advance, I don't see how they can't also hold an iPhone at the time of pre-approval? Then, when the store opens up, allow a window of 1 hour for pre-approved iPhone upgrade users to complete checkout and if it's not done by then, then the iPhone opens up to the queue for others. Unless the iPhone upgrade user base exceeds the entire supply of iPhones, which I doubt, I think this would work better. The last thing they want is for a person to discontinue the iPhone upgrade program I would think.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
So many people having problems with preordering via Apple Store app and using Apple Pay! I was totally expecting it. This is what happens when you tell millions of people that "the Apple Store app is the best and quickest way to preorder" and that "you can guarantee getting iPhone X on Nov 3rd".

The website went live for me at 8:08am and the app was still down till 8:25am. The website actually went live earlier for many people and the app was still down. That was expected because the website had to deal with less load this time.

Yes, the Apple Store app is still the most convenient and easiest way to shop for Apple products, but NOT when you have millions of people hammering it at the same time. Thank god I had my Mac and PC on the Apple Store website, and didn't put all my eggs into one basket!

Also, people had trouble paying with Apple Pay, again it was expected.

Tip for next year's pre-order - don't use the Apple Store app and don't use Apple Pay! Let millions of people hammer it and believe they can guarantee an iPhone delivery on launch day by using the app, just open the website, place your order and get a quicker delivery!

With all due respect, where did anyone say that "you can guarantee getting iPhone X on Nov 3rd"? I'm genuinely curious.

That being said. I placed my order through the Apple Store App, I also used Apple Pay. I had absolutely ZERO issues... and I didn't get in until 4 minutes past launch. The process took me approximately 35 seconds once in. I'm sure I was on the same app at the same time as millions of others.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
They should have been more up front about just how many people would actually be able to get a nov 3 date. Evidently by the time they were 10 minutes into it the date had already slipped to 4-6 weeks.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I wasn’t preordering but I was curious to check how the dates were doing and I couldn’t get the app to load on my phone or iPad until past 12:20 while the site was loading for me at around 12:04

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Got in the app at :04, ordered in a few seconds and received confirmation email at :06. Worked perfectly for me.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009

I was force quitting and reopening the app from 11:59:30 through probably 12:10 AM and it didn't do any good. Ultimately it wasn't until I got up to go grab my iPad (leaving my iPhone open on the store app for ~45 seconds) that it actually loaded the store around 12:15. I'm on the upgrade program which HAD to be completed in the app, not online. The website was up at like 12:05 so a lot of the Nov 3 deliveries got drained out that way I'm sure.

*sigh* Nov 17 can't come soon enough. So annoying that the upgrade program people get screwed for a second year.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I was force quitting and reopening the app from 11:59:30 through probably 12:10 AM and it didn't do any good. Ultimately it wasn't until I got up to go grab my iPad (leaving my iPhone open on the store app for ~45 seconds) that it actually loaded the store around 12:15. I'm on the upgrade program which HAD to be completed in the app, not online. The website was up at like 12:05 so a lot of the Nov 3 deliveries got drained out that way I'm sure.

*sigh* Nov 17 can't come soon enough. So annoying that the upgrade program people get screwed for a second year.

The iPhone app seemed to be slower for me, even connected to my gigabit internet connection. My iPad Pro was way faster with no lag, that's why I was able to get one fast for Nov. 3.

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
Very random. I have gigabit internet and I was refreshing web and app. Didn’t come online until around 3:10 or so. This isn’t my first rodeo either. Every other year the app was fast and quick. This year it failed hard. Even after placing my first order the app was still not showing the store up. Force closed at least 40 times.

Not my first rodeo either. I’ve had my mucky paws on the phone on release day for all of them except one (it’s a long story).

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Apple App sucked for me (and yes I forced closed and reopened every 30-40 seconds). I did the preapproval since I was already part of the IUP. Started hitting the IPhone Apple App right before 12:00 midnight. App didn't come online for me, until around 12:15. Once it came online, only took about 30 seconds. BUT by then, the delivery time for a 256 Silver was Nov 17-24. I almost always get a launch day phone.

The website came online earlier for me around 12:05. But it would not let me do the IUP on the website. Stopped and forced me to us the App.

Kind of sucked. Apple just not the same without Steve Jobs.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Apple Pay didn’t work on me. It kept asking my billing address even though it was not my first time to use it. Fail!

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
Aren't the iPhone upgrade customers their most important clients since we are guaranteed to upgrade yearly? Since they already allow us to pre-approve a week in advance, I don't see how they can't also hold an iPhone at the time of pre-approval? Then, when the store opens up, allow a window of 1 hour for pre-approved iPhone upgrade users to complete checkout and if it's not done by then, then the iPhone opens up to the queue for others. Unless the iPhone upgrade user base exceeds the entire supply of iPhones, which I doubt, I think this would work better. The last thing they want is for a person to discontinue the iPhone upgrade program I would think.
I don’t really agree with this. If that’s the way you’re viewing it then it should be anyone paying installments for their device that’s able to upgrade at 12 months. I really don’t think IUP customers should get any special treatment.
I do feel that getting pre approved is fair, it also, Apple seems to not have gone live on time and the store was opening at different times for everyone. That needs to be fixed so all you IUP folks have a fair chance too.

Reactions: Moi Ici and ssrij

Bagaholic

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
No issue here with the Apple Store app on my iPhone either. Got in at 3:01 EDT and got email confirmation for launch date pick up at 3:02:17 EDT. The webpage didn't let me in until after 3:15 EDT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.