And this is why you shouldn't buy refurbished MacBook Pros

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Mar 24, 2016.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

A girl brought me this brand new retina MacBook Pro 15-inch that had coffee spilled on. I opened the bottom case and saw that the interior is completely flooded in coffee. It looks like a whole pitcher of coffee was dumped on it.

I went ahead and cleaned everything. Afterward, I ran diagnostics to made sure every is working and then returned the laptop (after collecting my fees, of cause).

I ran into her again today, so I ask her if her MBP is still running well.

It turns out that she went straight to return the laptop afterward.

...I do wonder which poor soul will get this laptop.

2. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Hmm. Have you ever bought a refurb they are good as new...pretty see no one will be getting that laptop.

3. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Appearances can be deceiving.

If you look at this at laptop, you'll see a pretty laptop without a single scratch or ding.

4. theworldunderground macrumors newbie

theworldunderground

YMMV! I bought a refurbished in 2010 and it punished it HARD for 3 years, then it got banged around for months in China, eventually some sort of card busted and was fixed in a back-room in Sichuan province for like $90. Banged on it more for 2 years in Asia, punishing, eventually sold it for $400 to a guy in Korea, and re-upped for a MBPR.

I fully endorse refurbs FROM THE COMPANY'S THEMSELVES (important), and forever will.

5. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Sorry, I really doubt Apple will just turn around and sell it and even if they did, who cares? They warranty their refurbs for a year and if there is a problem they will either repair or replace.

I speak from experience as my first MBP was a refurb. Two repairs and they replaced it with a brand new one in a retail box.

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

The MBP has liquid sensors in them. It sounds like they should have been tripped. If she bought it from Apple, you would think that it would have been checked. With other retailers - I don't know. I wonder if Apple even tells its retailers where the sensors are. There was a thread a few months back where somebody bought an Apple refurb, it had problems and upon taking it back to Apple, liquid damage was found. The buyers said they didn't do it. The OP did not post what happened after that. With the refurb 2012 MBP I bought in December, the first thing I did was to open up the bottom a take a look - it was pristine. The screws also felt like they had not been opened (but one can always use an electric screwdriver, I know).

7. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Whoops!

8. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

No worries getting a liquid damaged refurb from Apple. I guarantee that it would never be returned to stock, even as a refurb with liquid damage having occurred.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Never had an issue with Apple refurbs. They've got a full warranty and they're eligible for AppleCare.

Chances are, the computer she returned will be placed on a pallet and sold as-is by the pound to some small business that salvages them for scrap parts. I used to work at a place that bought Macs like this from Apple.

10. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

My 2009 MBP is still going strong. I've had it since 2010. I also bought 2 minis, 1 mini server, 1 MacBook, and 1 other MBP -- all on refurb (for various family members, and one was for a local small private school). All have had zero problems. I'm a believer!

Now, if they could just start making laptops that I want to buy again, then I'd be using something newer than my 2009!

11. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The problem with that logic is that I'm pretty sure she never admitted to Apple that she spilled coffee on it. I'm 100% sure that Apple would refuse a return if they knew there was a coffee spill.

12. lcseds macrumors 6502a

If it were from Best Buy or the like, it would not be inspected upon return (unlikely anyway). Easy enough to return a damaged one if your a scumbag of course.
    This would never make it to Apple's refurb sales. Now Best Buy open box and "Geek Squad Certified" is different.....

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If a"whole pitcher of coffee" was dumped on it the LCIs would most likely indicate as such and Apple would scrap it.

14. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

15. 617aircav Suspended

Do actually think they put a returned computer back on the shelf? No. It goes through a thorough refurbishing process where all components are checked.

16. robvas macrumors 68020

17. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

When I opened the bottom case (bottom cover), I didn't see any red stickers until I removed the logic board.

18. bfid111 macrumors 6502

What makes you think that Apple would just put the water damaged macbook right into the box and sell it to their customer?

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

So you saw that the LCIs were triggered? What exactly do you think will happen? Apple is just going to throw it in a box and sell it?

Here is what Apple publishes on their website about their refurbishing process:

https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

20. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

You sure have a lot of faith in Apple.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I have faith that they understand the risks of NOT doing what the publish. Apple has some pretty expensive lawyers on their payroll. I trust them more than I trust you.

22. fs454 macrumors 65816

Just because you saw one get returned does not mean it'll be sold as refurb. Refurbished macs are disassembled and inspected, full stop. The battery is replaced, and obvious signs of misuse or damage will be noticed, like the tripped liquid sensors that are literally all over the interior of the notebook.

I mean, go ahead and skip out on the refurb models and leave more for me and the rest of us who aren't automatically assuming wrongdoing by what is regarded as a trustworthy company - I have purchased over 50 of them for the two companies I work IT for and have not had an issue with a single one.

23. bgalakazam macrumors newbie

+1
    I have been buying refurbished electronics for 10+ years and haven't had a problem since. Typing this from a refurb 2015 rmbp for $1750 instead of $2500 "new" and I still have leftover apple care and can extend 2 more years.

Don't confuse fake refurb with real ones

24. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I would never buy a new one. I've been purchasing used Macs for over ten years. I usually find mine on Craigslist and eBay and have never had a problem with any of them.

25. dsmedic10 macrumors member

I have a refub rMBP with no problems whatsoever. Took the extra money I didn't spend and bought apple care and an audio interface for my studio.