Android 10 Announced as Google Drops Dessert-Inspired Names

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Google today announced its next major version of Android will be named Android 10, as the company has decided to move past dessert-inspired names for the operating system like Ice Cream Sandwich, Lollipop, and Marshmallow.

Android's new logo

Android's naming scheme is now consistent with iOS. Android is only on version 10 though, compared to iOS 13, because Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and KitKat were all considered version 4.0 through version 4.4.4 releases between 2011 and 2014. Android also launched over a year after the original iPhone.

Until now, Android 10 was expected to be named Android Q, but there are few well-known desserts that start with that letter, perhaps contributing to Google's decision to switch to a numbered scheme. Google also admitted that the dessert names "weren't always understood by everyone in the global community."

Google has also revamped the Android logo for the first time since 2014 and shared a video to unveil the new branding:

The final beta of Android 10 was seeded earlier this month. The update will be publicly released in the third quarter.

Article Link: Android 10 Announced as Google Drops Dessert-Inspired Names

Mdracer

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
The real reason I dropped Android for IOS was for the inconsistency within their eco system. I would start to enjoy a native app then "BAM! Right in the kisser" they would announce that it would be changed out for a different app. This further solidifies my distaste for Android and how they do not really plan for the future.

urgs

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
- features for foldable phones
Google never cared about hardware. They provide only a base level support of features, that will work on every phone out there.
Thats why expensive smartphones with special AR chipsets were widely promoted, but Google dropped the support from Android a year later after they saw, that Apple managed AR without co-processors.
Thats why Android based smartwatches are completely dead and only Apple and Samsung are somewhat innovative in that business.
Thats why Android Tablets are still bloated phones without the phone. Google had never had an idea what to do with the additional screen estate.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
I'm sure 5% of the Android install base will be excited when they get this update sometime in the next year or two.
How cute. Too bad 80 percent of Android phones out there will never get "Android 10".
I bet iOS 13 has a higher installed base in 24 hours than Android 10 will have by this time next year.
Oh gosh, these jokes are as old as a dessert based OS naming scheme.... Yes it’s 100% true that vast majority of android devices never get a major update (basically just the google phones and a few flagships). Oh well. The people who buy the phones don’t really seem to care, and if you buy a new phone every 2-3 years (which most people do) then it really doesn’t matter. For majority of products through majority of history, they don’t really “improve” over time. You buy a device (phone, washing machine, car, lawn mower, whatever) and that’s exactly what you get. If you want new features later, you buy a newer device. Apple is the exception here, which I truly appreciate, however that also opens themselves up for other issues (“Apple is intentionally slowing down my phone!”) which isn’t worth the trade off for most android manufacturers. Heck there are even some iPhone users that never update for this very reason.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I guess it was bound to happen, I get it due to the International community, however they could do what marketing for many international companies does, give it a different name in other markets.