Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Android 2.0 platform was officially unveiled today, introducing a number of enhancements to the open source smartphone operating system. Among the notable new features:

- Enhanced contact synchronization options and a "Quick Contact" widget to allow convenient integration of contact access into applications
- Combined inbox to allow viewing of messages from multiple e-mail accounts simultaneously
- Support for Microsoft Exchange
- Increased support for camera features, including flash
- Improved virtual keyboard layout and performance
- New browser features, including double-tap-to-zoom, thumbnailed bookmarks, and support for HTML5
- Minor tweaks to calendar functions, including tools for inviting and viewing the status of guests for events

A video preview of Android 2.0 has also been released.

Article Link: Android 2.0 Platform Officially Unveiled

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
okay.....let the fighting begin....:D:D:D:D

my iphone OS is better.....ur blackberry OS is better....now this..!?

I want one...now..but it seems so like the iphone OS.......hmmmm

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Looks good. Android can only get better and better! :cool:

I feel the same. I look at The Gimp. While apples and oranges there (Phone OS vs Editing App) The Gimp is open source and it has only gotten better and better. I think the fact that Android is open source that only means it will get better and better. Sure, the iPhone is great. I love it, but sometimes I wonder if I should go the droid route and get an iPod touch.

Either way, this is good.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Something interesting (not necessarily good or bad, just interesting) to see would be a port of ANdroid on the iPhone. I remember installing Linux on my U2 iPod. Not great, but cool, nonetheless.

Begin flames in 3…2…1…

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Something interesting (not necessarily good or bad, just interesting) to see would be a port of ANdroid on the iPhone. I remember installing Linux on my U2 iPod. Not great, but cool, nonetheless.

Begin flames in 3…2…1…

I'd love to see how Android performs on the iPhone and iPod touch to be honest.

If there ever was such a project started I'd probably get an iPod touch to have a play!

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada

Begin flames in 3…2…1…

Keep dreaming, companies dont believe in CHOICE, especially apple.

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas

Begin flames in 3…2…1…

OMG HERETIC APPLE IS GOD BURN DEMON

LiveCrunch

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Totally loving it! I just read about it on MWD (mwd.com) and also there was a release of Addressbook today which I think is build on Android 2.0 capabilitites...

I can't wait to get it on my G1

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm still ambivalent toward Android. I'm glad there's increasing development and competition for mobile platforms. But I'm not in the least tempted to make the switch. The hardware so far hasn't impressed me (including the impending Droid). And the software, though apparently more responsive, doesn't seem to bring anything that different to the mobile experience. IMO the iPhone is still more elegant and functional.

"Those aren't the droids you're looking for."

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Before all of you start saying "ZOMG goodbye iPhone, hello Android!!!!1!", I urge you to actually test drive an Android device for a few weeks. Really, your ENTIRE opinion will change. Once you have the speed and responsiveness that the iPhone 3GS offers, every single current Android device will seem underpowered, slow, sluggish, and painful. The current Android devices simply suck, and no matter how much you want to use the Android OS, the fact remains that currently the hardware offerings are pathetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.