Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Mod Note: This thread was closed to clean up off-topic football talk. If you wish to discuss that, please start your own thread, or use one of the existing threads on that topic. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think it's an encouraging sign to be honest. Apple are under pressure to deliver this year not next and they have quite a leap to make. The latest Android offerings have got me interested and I'm quite keen to find a cheaper handset this time around.

Well seeing as it seems more and more likely Apple is going to skip a year with it's iPhone, it will need all the 'persuasion' it can get to make a decent phone in 2017 although I think it's share price will be half or a third of what it is now by then.

Android is certainly where it's currently at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: epicrayban

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Not quite. I'm interested in seeing the list of the best-selling devices, not the best-selling vendors.

http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Galaxy-S7-cracks-Top-5-for-the-quarter

Launched on March 11th, the Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge became an immediate hit among US consumers, capturing 5.8% of Q1 2016 smartphone sales. The Galaxy S7 was the fifth best-selling phone in Q116 despite only being available for the last few weeks of the sales period. The same cannot be said of its predecessor, the Galaxy S6, which was the 10th best-selling smartphone (3.2%), after its launch in the three months ending in April 2015.

With strong sales in the first few weeks boasted by heavy promotions across carrier and independent retailers, we can well expect the Galaxy S7 to become the best-selling phone in Q2 of this year. The Galaxy S6 was never able to capture the top spot, remaining the second best-selling phone behind the iPhone 6, and then the iPhone 6s. As the big promotions subside and are replaced by smaller and subtler deals, how will the S7 fare?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Market share is a metric, but how relevant it is to anything is a question. ask Samsung if market share leads to profit and I market alone can sustain a business?
At least Samsung with the S7 didn't have as bad a quarter as Apple did.S7 is selling like hotcakes while the iPhone with its dated design doesn't come close

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
At least Samsung with the S7 didn't have as bad a quarter as Apple did.S7 is selling like hotcakes while the iPhone with its dated design doesn't come close

Where is your evidence that S7 sells more than iPhone?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You're right, Apple only made 40b last quarter.:rolleyes:o_O And is still the most valuable company in the world. How bad could it be?

Last edited:

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016

Well it would seem like its selling like hotcakes when they had 2 massive sales flops with the S5 and S6.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Awwww okay the 2nd most valuable company NOW, but a flip flop is coming.

Just correcting you.

Regardless of first or second, does this explain away any of Google's shortcomings with Android?

EDIT: Nothing, @I7guy? No answer? Again, just looking to get some clarity on your position, especially as an Apple fan.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Just correcting you.

Regardless of first or second, does this explain away any of Google's shortcomings with Android?

EDIT: Nothing, @I7guy? No answer? Again, just looking to get some clarity on your position, especially as an Apple fan.
Between all of the witty repartee you know my position, I've stated it and it hasn't changed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Between all of the witty repartee you know my position, I've stated it and it hasn't changed.

If you've answered it, I missed it. Not going to dig through your post history, so if you can, please clarify here?

Does Google's current number 1 position as most valuable company in the world excuse them of any of Android's shortcomings?

EDIT:
@I7guy Another thing: there has been no witty remarks from me to you in these recent exchanges. If anything, the quote I responded to of yours had the witty remark:

You wrote...
You're right, Apple only made 40b last quarter.:rolleyes:o_O And is still the most valuable company in the world. How bad could it be?

And I responded with a simple correction, and then asked you the question. So, no witty remarks. No sarcasm. No name calling. Nothing.

Just a question.

Given that, will you answer?

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Awwww okay the 2nd most valuable company NOW, but a flip flop is coming.

I suggest you change your tune, their is a plan to float an oil company across three stock markets in different country's which will value it at 2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS.

It will flatten any willy waving argument about which electronics company is the most valuable company in the world in one fell swoop...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I suggest you change your tune, their is a plan to float an oil company across three stock markets in different country's which will value it at 2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS.

It will flatten any willy waving argument about which electronics company is the most valuable company in the world in one fell swoop...
And this affects us how?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
@I7guy no answer still?

So mum all of a sudden.

Logically speaking, what is true for Apple should be true for Google. Right?

Just like what was true for Samsung and the note 5 s pen "bad design" must be true for Apple and the magic mouse design too right?

You were awfully mum about that too when asked about the discrepancy there.

Strange. Well if you won't clarify your position, there are only so many conclusions one can draw.

Reactions: jamezr and samcraig

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And this affects us how?

It must affect you in some way for you to me emotionally attached to the argument. I would assume that Apple and Google will exchange positions many times over the course of this year and into the future. Both companies are hugely successful and deserve credit for their respective business models and achievements.

Reactions: khha4113

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It must affect you in some way for you to me emotionally attached to the argument. I would assume that Apple and Google will exchange positions many times over the course of this year and into the future. Both companies are hugely successful and deserve credit for their respective business models and achievements.

In response to the bold, yup, no doubt about it.

The point is no matter who is at the top, we can discuss and compare their respective technologies independent of sales and profits and market share and other such financial metrics. In fact, we must.

Because if sales and profits is all some people wanna go by, then by that logic, Google currently must have the best smartphones. And any shortcomings they have that people want to discuss must conflict with the millions of Android users that are happy with Android as evidenced by the #1 value position and market share.

One can easily see how silly such an argument is.

Everyone except, i7guy, I guess? He won't answer the question, so who knows.

Reactions: samcraig and jamezr

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
@I7guy no answer still?

So mum all of a sudden.

Logically speaking, what is true for Apple should be true for Google. Right?

Just like what was true for Samsung and the note 5 s pen "bad design" must be true for Apple and the magic mouse design too right?

You were awfully mum about that too when asked about the discrepancy there.

Strange. Well if you won't clarify your position, there are only so many conclusions one can draw.
Isnt this about market share and what market share means? But hey you asked about the mouse and maybe Apple could have done better but the design is not flawed unless you consider the connector aspect of it all and breaking the connector off if your an abject klutz.

There is just no need to keep rehashing the mouse or the spen. It's not a conversation for this particular thread.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Isnt this about market share and what market share means? But hey you asked about the mouse and maybe Apple could have done better but the design is not flawed unless you consider the connector aspect of it all and breaking the connector off if your an abject klutz.

There is just no need to keep rehashing the mouse or the spen. It's not a conversation for this particular thread.

Just using it as an example of another odd discrepancy in your arguments.

But you know what, you're right. It has little to do with market share. Whereas you brought up Apple's 40 billion dollar last quarter (and in a sarcastic way) and how they're the most valuable company in the world. Turns out they're not, which led to my question.

So, will you answer it? You're clearly reading this thread. Should Google being number 1 currently in value and marketshare be used as some kind of defense for any of Android's shortcomings? I ask because it seems that's what you do when Apple is at the top; something along the lines of how millions of users are buying Apple iPhones just fine so Apple doesn't need to compete harder or anything. Etc. Going by that, it seems reasonable you'd feel the same way about Google and Android given the metrics shown to you here. Right?

I mean, if you won't answer the question, we can only draw so many conclusions given the precedence of your arguments. Or is this argument of yours somehow only applicable to Apple?

If only you'd explain... =/

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr and gotluck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.