Android officially pulls ahead of iOS in Q2 2010

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Acejam2k, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Acejam2k macrumors regular

2. firteen888 macrumors regular

I would really hope that Android would be ahead of ios4. How many Android phones are there compared to the 1 iphone?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It was only a matter of time, just because android is being offered on multiple phones and multiple carriers.

While this is good news for google, that does not translate into bad news for apple. Apple needs to concern itself with doing a great job and not getting sucked into a pissing contest with google. They'll lose because they only have one phone and one carrier (in the US)

4. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Or it'll be.. Lots of quality Android devices just hit the market, so that's naturally going to give them a boost? I don't know, Apple's not hurting from a revenue standpoint, and I love my iPhone 4.. Nothing else really matters.

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

Despite the misleading title of this thread, this has very little to do with Apple. Android is taking more customers away from Microsoft and RIM, as iOS sales keep increasing as well.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

7. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Naturally these stats are for the US only and since the iPhone is only on AT&T, it's not surprising to see Android in the top spot. Apple put up some impressive numbers themselves so for the time being we can say there's room for both Android and iOS.

At any rate, competition is good for the consumer like the above poster said. :)

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Who cares? Do people have to justify their purchases by doing what the masses do? Android is a fantastic OS, and so is iOS.

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Android out sold the iPhone in the US in Q1 and Q2 combined. iOS US marketshare is still higher than Android 28% to 13% Worldwide iOS is way bigger than Android.

10. aohus macrumors 68000

Google the new Microsoft?

I mean, if this trend continues, Android will be the dominant OS of choice for smartphones as it is available for so many devices.

Apple will eventually go from domination to a niche product within the smartphone industry? I could see that happening.

11. aohus macrumors 68000

did you even read the OP? You're wrong.

12. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well if they are just comparing software installed on a device shouldn't the iPad and iPod touch be included? They both run the iOS software.

13. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Wouldn't be any different from when Apple was the top PC seller 30-something years ago. Then MS came along. We all know the rest.

14. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Did you even read the OP? Android was shipped more than iOS. The title seems pretty accurate to me.

Thats a short term look at things. This phone war is no different from the PC wars of the 1980's.

Apple sat on their a$$ tried to become exclusive and tried to demand developers around their way. What happened - Microsoft came out with a more 'open' OS and we know how that went, mac os is a niche platform with 5% of marketshare.

The same thing will happen with iphone, less developers will be motivated to target iphone os when competing platforms have well above 90% marketshare (in a few years), and then you will have the same as the mac - less developers making software for it and a device for a niche.

At one time the mac dominated, and all developers flocked to it - mostly because that was where the money and marketshare was it, once that fell apart everyone flocked to the bigger platform and that hasnt changed for 30 years. iPhone already within 3 years is getting put to the curb.

Apple once was the biggest seller of computers = no longer the case
    Apple once was the biggest seller of phones = no longer the case

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

4 out of 5 people who own android want to get something different. Crappy apps and lame home screen customization is not THAT cool ppl.

Think of the real personal user experience.

It's just a "not an iPhone like everyone else" phone. That's the appeal.

If iPhone arrives to verizon it will be so bad that it's possible android could die. Apple os becoming juggernaut level big this next year or two due to the iPad.

On verizon there are no better choices than androids. And verizon is bigger than at&t

16. iTitoxG macrumors newbie

ok cool, now does this make android suck less ? no ;)

17. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Satire? Comedy? 4 out of 5 people like what? Source please. :) Now if Apple started adding widgets to iOS, I wonder how crappy home screen customization would be then. :)

Anyway, I'd say it's AT&T + Apple that paved the way for Android to be where it is now for the US. Had the iPhone been on all carriers, Android wouldn't be anywhere as popular as it is now.

18. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The title is misleading in the sense that it gives the impression that in overall marketshare, Google pulls ahead of Apple, which isn't stated in the article. A better title would be "Android shipped more than iOS in Q2 2010."

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

When was that?

20. Krandor macrumors 6502

This is also right before the iPhone 4 launch. Most people knew a new phone was coming out in JUly so it is not surprusing that the quarter before that would have lower iPhone sales.

The Q3 numbers with the iPhone4 are going to be the interesting ones.

21. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Android's international marketshare is already way ahead of iOS.

Outside the US people have real choice - iPhone is available on many carriers, just like Android devices.

Your Verizon theory isn't true.

22. Robby C macrumors regular

Robby C

Um... DUH! The Fanboyland Era. A time not too long ago. Some say the people of that time still lurk around here, in Macrumor's forums.

Strange. :rolleyes:

23. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Sometime between "never" and "didn't happen"?

24. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

When was Apple the biggest seller of computers? How are the markets similar other than Apple and Microsoft are involved (and none of their leadership is the same)? One was an emerging market driven by IT spending. One is an established market driven by consumer spending.

Apple is the better developer platform by far. Even in third or fourth place in market share. They add iPod touch and iPad owners to the iOS userbase. They provide a less fragmented platform. They have quicker upgrades by the userbase to the latest platform. And, most importantly, iDevice customers are more willing to spend money on apps than Android customers by far! I'm not saying it's going to be that way forever, but it is now.

And I assume that we are ignoring the iPod because it doesn't fit your theory.

25. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The U.S. market isn't always as predictable as the European market. There was a study that showed that the iPhone was seen as a premium product over other smartphones for US consumers. I'm not saying the iPhone will kill Android marketshare when it is released to more carriers or any such claims, but you cannot easily compare the US market with the European market as the two are very different.