Android on iPhone 4, Would you use it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikemanblah, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mikemanblah macrumors regular

*There is currently no development for an android port for iPhone 4*

Remeber how a few months ago there was an android port for iPod touch first gen and iPhone 3G? That was because they were the only ones with bootrom exploits (Google it)

Now that there is a bootrom exploit for iPhone 4 coming out, there will probably be a decent port.

My question is, would you use it?

No more android fanboys bashing the iPhone

EDIT:
    You can still run iOS

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

I'll be honest with you, I've never used Android personally, but I find that as a consumer, iOS has everything I need. I suspect that most people who would run Android would not want Apple branded phones anyway.
    And at best, a port is always going to be a bit of an experimental thing, chewing through battery like crazy.
    The combination of iPhone and iOS works very well, and I dont (and dont think many others would) see a "need" for Android on an iPhone.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

4. chembox macrumors 6502a

If it was anything like Parallels where you could boot two different operating systems, maybe. I would never sacrifice iOS for Android, though.

5. Chibears87 macrumors newbie

6. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

lol +1

why would we want to use such a buggy and laggy OS on such a snappy and intuitive phone?

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If you could buy an iPhone 4 that came with Android and it was fully supported then yes, but otherwise I don't think it would be reliable enough (in terms of performance and battery life etc.) to use.

8. Liberty. macrumors 6502

9. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Haha, I tried starting on a constructive-ish note... but tbh the OP really shouldnt have come to a forum about iPhones to ask if they would ever install the enemies OS on their phone :rolleyes:

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Why would want to put a mutant virus on your iPhone?

11. chembox macrumors 6502a

12. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

because iOS isn't anywhere close to perfect. Just keeps getting worse with each update.

13. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I agree, I don't think I'd want to give up iOS for Android either. However, I wouldn't mind having both on one device.

14. aohus macrumors 68000

i would not. i love the design of the iPhone 4, but can't get over the fragility of it.

i'm not the type that buys a case. i expect the handset manufacturer to give me a sturdy phone. to each his own i guess.

btw, i'm currently droid x owner, but thats not saying i don't like the iPhone4. in fact, the iP4 is clearly better out of the box than the Droid X.

Rooted Droid X vs jailbroken iPhone4? probably different story there.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I like my iPhone just the way it is, and wouldn't use Android on it even if I could.

16. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

And THAT, my friends is a perfect example of iPhone fan-boy insecurity.

Since when is Android the enemy? If anything, Android is forcing Apple to up their game.

All that Android hate says a lot about your disappointment of your device not being the latest, coolest "thing".

If you love iOS, why should Android matter to you at all?

17. tastychicken macrumors member

Yes i would, or i would like to have the option to dual boot. I had a HTC HD2 and was dual booting between Android and WinMo. I dual boot between Win 7 and OSX on my MBP. I personally like having a choice.

18. chembox macrumors 6502a

This argument goes both ways; iOS users defend their purchase as much as Android users do.

I don't care what phone you buy, as long as you're satisfied. For me, I'm satisfied with my iPhone, and I don't have a care in the world to bash Android because everything is great in its own way.

19. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Sorry, if you actually read my first post correctly, you would see that I dont think of Android as "the enemy". I was merely referencing the fact that many people on this forum think that.
    I have no problem with Android (despite having not used it) because it does encourage Apple to make iOS better with each update as you say. At the release of the first iPhone, Steve Jobs said that the iPhone was 5 years ahead of any other phone. Its nice to see other companies come to the market a lot quicker than that and force Apple to continually improve their products to keep iPhone buyers like me not investigating other options.
    I am not an insecure fanboy. And I dont like seeing other people characterize me as such.

My view on the whole thing as well. I'm satisfied with my iPhone for now. But who knows? In a years time there will be better phones out there, and I will patiently wait for the iPhone 5, and if that doesnt live up to expectations, i will investigate Android.

20. mikemanblah thread starter macrumors regular

You can dual boot android and ios, you choose from startup.

Also i would love to use android if it were optimized

21. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

If you don't already appreciate Android, then its not for you, IMO. Stick to iOS where you are more comfortable.

22. ljx718 macrumors 6502

idk why they say its sooo open. Jb and you can have anything you want

23. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Maybe you need to do some research then

24. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I would also worry about hardware support. Would the Android port be able to fully support all the hardware in the iPhone 4? (Assuming, of course, that the Android has APIs for these devices like the gyro?).

With experience in the past with running "other" os's on "Windows" systems, where some device doesn't work, only works in limited mode, etc, I would be leery. Of course, if I REALLY wanted to run Android at home, I would just see about buying an Unlocked, or ATT, phone out of contract (I just bought my 4 in July).

25. tibere86 macrumors member

I would be all over this like white on rice.