Android Outsells iPhone Globally

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessmacuser, Aug 14, 2010.

1. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

2. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

3. Smtevo macrumors 6502

android is an OS, iPhone is not an OS. Gotta compare Apples to Apples, not Apple to Oranges.

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Why is it a surprise that an OS used by several manufacturer's on innumerable devices will have more unit sales than an OS used by a single manufacturer on a single device?

5. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

wow 3 post for some one to make that argument.

Before Android took off it was screamed by people like you how iOS was out selling Android and how it was better blah blah blah.

Now you have to start scratching for a reason. What this proves is clearly Android is popular and clearly that even with iPhone on all carriers in most of the world Android still out sells it.

7. Jordanna macrumors newbie

Price is everything! Doesn't matter what it is -- big things like houses, or small things like phones. Android-based phones do everything the iPhone does for half the price. And they can be used with Verizon or other carriers. Apple is limiting their market by only offering service with the ridiculously-overpriced AT&T, and selling their phones at double the price of an Android-based one. I'm not surprised in the least bit. It's not rocket science.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Go with the world wide market instead lf limit yourself to the US with that agrument.....
    Most of the world the iPhone is not carrier dependent. That is kind of a US only deal.

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

^This.

/thread

10. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It is the performance of the platform as a whole that is relevant to consumers so this is more meaningful than just the sales of ,e.g. HTC or Motorola alone. Developers make apps for the OS not the handset manufacturers.

11. tuatha macrumors regular

Do you guys need to have somebody explain to you why these analogies are idiotic and non-applicable, or can you work it out for yourselves?

The point about multiple handsets vs a limited range of handsets is the only relevant one.

It is very interesting that Android is out-selling iPhone in countries where the latter is available on multiple carriers, though. Sort of ruins the whole 'if we had verizon on board android would die!! rofl omg" argument.

12. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Do you know me? Calm down there Rodimus. I've never once said such a thing. Why so defensive? Reading some sort of iPhone-centric bias in my post only displays your insecurity.

I could care less if Android sells well or doesn't. In fact, I hope it does so that one day an Android-equipped phone will exist that I might actually want. I just think it's ridiculous to compare sales of several different devices to sales of one. It isn't a statistically sound argument. At this point, devices with Android the OS, should always outsell the iPhone OS.

13. tuatha macrumors regular

It's a fair point though, despite the scattergun approach! Up until very recently there were an awful lot of Apple fans pointing to the sales figures to show its superiority to Android.

Now you see more of them falling back on the elitist 'premium product' argument, like the posts above. Which is ridiculous considering the most popular Android handsets are in the same price bracket as the iPhone (and quite a few of them have better hardware specs), and Android is already offering more functionality than iOS.

And for the sake of balance, I should point out that a couple of months ago it was Android fans saying the sales figures didn't matter... and onward it goes. :D

14. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

A bit of a price difference... if a Ferrari was the same price bet it would be a different story :) Iphone and Androids roughly same price.. And Androids are better.

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I would have taken far less issue with his statement if he said "Apple fans" or even my least-favorite colloquialism, "fanboys," instead of "people like you." I would never point to sales figures of a product to prove its superiority.

16. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

How do you figure that out? You don't know that, you're talking figuratively.

Android is not only on numerous carriers, it's on devices made by numerous manufacturers. The iPhone (being the only phone that runs iOS), as you're more than aware, is made by a single manufacturer.

This "proves" nothing.

17. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

This. Game over.

18. motty2307 macrumors regular

Really the only thing you can compare an iPhone to is another device. When you do that, the iPhone is outselling everything.

The problem is the media is putting out all these stories about Android outselling the iPhone. Maybe if the people writing the stories had half a brain, they would notice they were comparing one device to 37458395.

19. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

You can't compare Apples to Apples, only Apple makes Apples (iPhones) :D

20. alFR macrumors 68020

Who cares?

Competition = better products all round = better for everyone.

We all win.

21. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

So they are claiming that the Android phones [all together] are outselling a SINGLE phone

22. wwjbd24 macrumors member

haha go to tipb.com , they just reviewed this statement. lolz, haters

23. nfl46 macrumors 603

This really isn't fair.

You're comparing NUMEROUS phones to ONE phone. The same can be said with people comparing Blackberry (NUMEROUS) phones to the iPhone.

A FAIR comparison is Android vs. Blackberry -- both has numerous phones on all carriers.

If people want to be fair about it, compare ONE Android phone to the iPhone! JUST ONE!

24. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

To add to your thought, when they don't have sale figures, the fall back on Apple is making a ton of money and has a gazllion in reserve.

25. wirelessmacuser thread starter macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

This is a great analogy. Very accurate too.

iPhone has become the "Ford of Smartphones".

iPhones are now a dime a dozen, seen everywhere, they've lost their exclusivity and are approaching a commodity item. WalMarts sell them, and every Joe Blow has one.