Android users opinion of iOS 5 (not a troll)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hueyfreeman, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

If you are looking for a post bashing android or iOS then this is not it.
    I would like to start by saying that everyone has their preferred OS. The OSs are meant to meet everyone's needs they don't work for everyone. (I still have a crush on black berry OS lol) As far as the two prominent OSs android and iOS goes they have came a hell of a long way.

Notifications: implementation of this on iOS 5 is beautiful and very deeply integrated into the os. I think it was smart for apple to take this idea from android.

Imessage
    I think this will be a fun feature in the os. Apple is smart to look at the most successful features from the other OSs and implement them. Of all the features this is the one I am most envious about. I hope google will learn to improve its already present message client(s).

Work Sync
    It took apple four years but it is one of the things I really like about iOS. One of the main reasons I chose android because I don't use my computer year round. I am happy that this will add more functionality to the phones. I thought mobile me was a rip off.

Itunes match
    When you lay with dogs you get fleas. Apple should never have gotten in bed with the record labels. For 25$ you get the same service that several other companies offer for free, the only difference is that itunes match mirrors your music so you don't have to upload. It limits access to your music to either itunes or an iOS device. I think apple should have went with more of a locker for this. Right now android has two official music cloud services and another on the way. Qrosity and amazon play are both amazing music players for android. both are cheaper than apple's solution. In all apple should not have got into be with the music labels.

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Cheaper, really? On Amazon it would cost me $50/year for the duration of the time I want to store my ~50GB of music not to mention the cost of all that bandwidth, with Apple I pay $25 as a once off and it will match all music that I didn't purchase in iTunes (most of it) and make it available in iTunes in the cloud so how is Amazon cheaper? I think Google's pricing is similar to Amazon's but didn't bother to check.

3. FX4568 macrumors 6502

For iMessage, a question I have is what about people who only have 250mb data? I mean. wouldn't that be a data hogger in the long run for people who only have little spare of data?

For iTunes Match, personally, I think its a great idea. why? They are taking my pirated music to licensed. I hate buying music and have around 400 songs, so "if" i were to download it legally it wouldve been 400 dollars, so giving 25 dollars back to the record labels as a gift would make me feel a little better. Also, you get more storage in iCloud since your music wouldnt count.
    Thus, as long as you download 25 songs illegaly every year, the $25 dollars every year is seriously an amazing deal.
    $25 for 400 songs + more songs that i will download illegaly + more space on iCloud (since music space is taken out) is an amazing deal for me. I know I will do it once i get my iCloud set up in fall with my iphone 5.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Google hasn't announced pricing yet, it's currently an "Invite Only" beta and to OP, Amazon's Cloud Player is not free.

@FX4568, to send a text only requires 1k of memory and does not count against your data plan if your on WiFi.

5. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

When you say "music that I didn't purchase in iTunes (most of it)" do you mean music you downloaded illegally?

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

From Amazon, ripped CDs and eMusic mainly, so for $25 I pay Apple for better quality and storing it in the cloud for me, a pretty good deal if you ask me.

7. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

As for the notifications implemented in iOS5, I have to say it is an improvement, however (as it stands right now) it still needs improvement. It still is intrusive, just not as intrusive as it previously was.

As for the iMessages, I have to disagree with you. I think Apple should take a lesson from Blackberry and Google on how to implement an instant messaging client. I don't like the fact that it is built into the standard messaging app. I want to be able to choose how my message is delivered. Some people I text and some people I send messages via Gtalk. I send these messages in different ways for a reason, just as people choose to send messages over an instant messaging client versus via text message for a reason. I don't like the fact that apple mixed the two into one. I think they would have been better served just making iMessages a completely different client all together.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Not really. Assuming 10 bits per char. (Using 10 bits to account of 8 bits per char plus 20% over head) It works out to be 200 bytes for a 160 char long message.

That means you have about 5 message per kilobyte and over 5000 per meg. Add to there will be data compression on text message so it will reduce the size per message. On top of that some of it will be off loaded to wifi.
    The thing that would eat up the data will be pictures since those already compressed and no real way to get them smaller so sending large pictures over the iMessage will chew up data.

9. kiantech macrumors regular

You can turn off iMessage if you do not want it. So it's not really an issue.

10. shandyman Suspended

as the guy above stated, you can just turn it off.

plus imessage is meant to be just like texting, but for free (well using data, which does work out as costing less). where's the harm in mixing that up?

and seriously, what scenario would you really want messages sent in different ways? the only ones presented so far have been daft and pointless ones, so i'm still waiting for something of substance in that department, people just seem to be moaning for the sake of it or they just do not understand how it works. i'm loving imessage cos it means that i can text my mates in the states via the messaging app and it will be for free as it will be via iMessage, rather than go into one of the IM clients and hope they're signed in.

11. doboy macrumors 68000

Maybe you may prefer separate app, but others would've bitched about having yet another app to use. Also you can't use iMessages for Gtalk so you would have to use separate app. For texting, if the other party is using an iOS, Apple will automatically use their free solution. What's wrong with that?

12. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I don't see how it should matter. You have the music now, whether it be from a CD, a friend's computer, or torrented.

iTunes Match is a great idea to make it easier for Apple, faster for users, and some revenue for the music industry on pirated or shared music (even if it is only $25 a year).

13. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

Turning it off doesn't solve anything, that defeats the purpose of having it. And I prefer to contact some people over instant messenger versus text messages for the same reason many people use BBM instead of texting a person. One example, is one particular person responds to her gtalk more quickly because she only communicates with certain people on it, so when she hears that particular alert she knows it needs to be responded to immediately versus if she hears her text message alert she knows it can wait.
    Long story short is there should be a CHOICE, not the all or nothing implementation that Apple did.

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if you ripped it from a CD, it should be at least equal to, if not better quality (depending on your import settings) as iTunes music

ORLY?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/learnmore

Amazon is way more expensive, unless you have a TINY collection. Personally, my collection is currently sitting at around 100GB (granted, I have some REALLY high quality files driving up the amount)...with iTunes match, storing it all on the cloud would be $25/year. With Amazon, that'd be $100/year.

15. shandyman Suspended

This!

well it's off by default, so unless you turn it on, you won't even notice it.

as for your example, why don't you just do what you do now? if you text them and they're on iMessage, it'll be free, or gtalk instead to the person if they don' text. this doesn't make any difference in your scenario at all, you can apply the same techniques you currently do to when you have iMessage. your scenario, like most others is just without substance or anything near a remote valid argument against it.

16. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

First try taking a less confrontational tone. Second, we were discussing iMessage, so yes my point is valid. We are talking about a first party solution in the phone not adding additional apps to achieve the same functionality available on other platforms. My point is that I shouldn't have to go the 3rd party, and I wouldn't have to if it were implemented better.

17. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

iMessage is designed to work like Facetime. On the iPhone it is integrated with Phone.app so that way you can easily communicate with other non-phone iOS devices without the confusion of using two apps.

It's also designed not to be a separate messenger, like BBM, but more like a replacement for text messaging that can be extended to Apple's non-phone devices.

Using a single messaging app, this is all seamless allowing for the greatest growth of iMessage because the user doesn't have to think of a single thing or go through the hassle of dealing with an app they won't use (on a phone) unless required (talking to a iPad user).

Also, this is just my opinion, but if I'm getting messaged from an iPad user, I want it to be sent to my "Messages" app, because I am still "texting" back and forth, just through a different platform.

18. pyro008 macrumors 6502

If you aren't ripping at at least 256, you're doing it wrong.

19. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Have you tried the beta, or are you going just by news sites and images?
    In reality you actually can choose to send an SMS or imessage.
    If you want to send a standard txt to someone who has imessage.. You just go to contacts >select the contact> tap "Text message" and select their phone number (if they have an email also associated to imessage).

Then in your messages app you get a new "conversation" started with that contact as txt only.

So you do have a choice to txt instead of imessage with out having to turn off imessage completely.

Edit:
    Never mind, this no longer seems to work. Pretty sure it did work in last beta.

20. shandyman Suspended

exactly this. he just doesn't get it or is making the whole thing sound more complicated than needed.

21. Dorv macrumors regular

But the point is iMessage ISN'T an instant messaging protocol, at least not in the same sense that Gtalk/Aim/yourIMofchoicehere is. Just think of it as free texting to other iOS users.

22. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

You're right to a degree the only thing is, if I look at it that way then it really becomes a useless feature (for me and people I know) as I don't know a single person that does not have unlimited text messaging. If free texting was their goal I think this is something that would have been a bit more beneficial a few years ago.

23. shandyman Suspended

its free text and free MMS, we don't have free texting on most of our plans, there are other people in other countries you know :p the whole point is it's seamless and mostly people won't totally notice, just subtle things to indicate it. Just cos you don't feel a need to use it, doesn't mean it's useless. just don't turn it on and carry one with your life, you won't even notice...

24. wordoflife, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I like Android notifications more because there's an icon (or shall I say 'icons') to let you know that you have notifications pending. Hopefully that comes by final release. Not sure if they'll have space in the status bar to throw in another icon for notifications though. Unless they want to hide the carrier name (does that have any purpose?) and just keep the carrier name visible when roaming.

25. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

If you had of read the rest of the sentence instead of just stopping at the word useless, you would have saw that I said if free texts is the only point then it would be useless TO ME AND THE PEOPLE I KNOW. I didn't say it would be a useless feature. Obviously there are people in the world that do not have unlimited text. I was merely stating that if it isn't to be used as a bbm/g talk type messenger and that it is only for free texts then it won't serve a purpose FOR ME OR PEOPLE I KNOW. Simple as that. In the future, try reading the entire sentence instead of just stopping in the middle of the sentence and then typing a response. :eek: