Angela Ahrendts Says Apple Won't Try to Upsell Customers to iPhone X

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Store employees won't try to upsell customers to the iPhone X, according to Apple's retail chief Angela Ahrendts.

[​IMG]

Ahrendts, who is in Chicago today for the grand opening of Apple's new Michigan Avenue store, told CNBC that Apple recognizes each customer has different needs that may not require purchasing the most expensive iPhone model.
    iPhone X starts at $999 in the United States with 64GB of storage, while a 256GB model is available for $1,149. By comparison, the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus start at $699 and $799 respectively.

Ming-Chi Kuo, a reputable Apple analyst at KGI Securities, recently said only 2-3 million iPhone X units will be available to purchase when the device launches. Pre-orders begin October 27 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time.

Related: iPhone X vs. iPhone 8 vs. iPhone 8 Plus

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts Says Apple Won't Try to Upsell Customers to iPhone X

2. Tom2893 macrumors 6502

Tom2893

I need the iPhone X. One week till the pre order.

3. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

As a former Apple Store employee, this is how things always worked. The idea is to match the customer with the product which is truly right for them.

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

It's also a myth for people to suggest Apple is elitist and out-of-reach of the lower earners. The truth is Apple now has an incredible iPhone within reach of literally every budget. They have a fantastic range of awesome products.

You won't be disappointed whatever iPhone you buy. There is nothing better than iPhone.

5. TurboPGT! Suspended

And the tongue-in-cheek response: Yeah, you'd need to have them in stock in order to upsell.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

This is a good thing. I hope they keep the traditional iPhone form factor around for a while, as I don't really have any interest in the iPhone X. OLED screens are way too unnaturally color-saturated and I like my TouchID.

7. tkermit macrumors 68040

tkermit

Probably not an iPhone.

8. Wags macrumors 6502a

9. kirk.israel macrumors newbie

kirk.israel

Heh, if stock of the iPhone X is as constrained as it sounds that might be the best strategy!

10. Wackery macrumors 6502a

“oh for your budget we can give you a iphone 7, but I thought you loved your wife? Yes, this is how you order an iPhone X”

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Why not? Everyone can use an iPhone. That is the point. They are simple to use, while also holding incredibly powerful capabilities.

12. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

13. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

Is it true store employees get no commission? I remember a few months after the Apple Watch was out, I tried to convince my spouse to get one since I loved mine. When we were there, I tried to tell my spouse all the features and the staff simply said "It is not worth buying", which was kind of dumb.

14. Appurushido macrumors regular

15. SoApple macrumors regular

Also think it’s not that easy to cell a $1000 cellphone either.

16. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

They really don't have to and with limited Samsung display production hindering their full output (once the other components are there) they won't have the capacity to upsell - guessing the X is going to be in tight supply way into next year even at $1k (short of a big face ID issue).

The big thing is what happens next year when this becomes normal iPhone tech. Does the $1k iPhone go away or become the new normal?

17. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

You can't upsell customers to a product that they can't buy. Better to sell them a phone that you actually have in stock.

18. b11051973 macrumors 6502

They won't be able to upsell, because there won't be any in stock. They'd rather sell the phone they have in stock, than one they don't.

19. moabal macrumors regular

"Apple Store employees won't try to upsell customers to the iPhone X", according to Apple's most disliked Senior Vice President.

20. Cronowerx, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017

Cronowerx Suspended

I call BS on that. I was picking up my iPhone 8 on launch day (in Toronto, CAN) and when I got to the store they tried to "sell me everything" under the sun. He was trying SO hard to get me to buy other stuff that I told him point blank to F OFF with that upsell crap. Grabbed my iPhone 8 and left.

21. HJM.NL macrumors 65816

HJM.NL

Hey Angela, I need a good phone with a modern screen and a good camera. Also I want big storage for my photo's and videos. I also want a digital assistant that understands and works. Also maps that are up to date with transitions and cycling paths. Sorry, what you say? € 700 not enough? And you don’t sell something with a good assistant? You recommend the Samsung Galaxy S8 for me because it’s so much better than the € 799 iphone 7 and has a better screen to body ratio, Amoled screen and all the other things I expect from a modern phone? Thanks Angela, I’ll go shop somewhere else :rolleyes:

22. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Upsell only works when you make more profit off it. Right now the iPhone 8 has higher margins. Plus lets be real, it's hard to upsell that notch as a better experience.

23. snebes macrumors 6502a

Said by the person who probably doesn't have a 6 or 7 year old.

24. Desert-Mac macrumors newbie

Yeah, I had to reread that part. Are they really trying to sell iPhones to six year olds? Or did they mean something else? 16 - 17 perhaps?

25. MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

You must be over 7 years old to purchase an iPhone X.