Announcement: New MacRumors Moderators

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Doctor Q, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Effective today, we have eight new MacRumors moderators, the largest group we have ever promoted at one time.

They are:
    angelwatt, who joined MacRumors in 2005 and lives in Ohio.

dejo, who joined MacRumors in 2004 and lives in Colorado.

EricNau, who joined MacRumors in 2005 and lives in California.

grapes911, who joined MacRumors in 2003 and lives in Pennsylvania.

MacDawg, who joined MacRumors in 2004 and lives in Georgia.

Peace, who joined MacRumors in 2005 and lives in Oregon.

r.j.s, who joined MacRumors in 2007 and lives in Texas.

sushi, who joined MacRumors in 2002 and lives in Japan.

Like the moderators before them, they will assist members with use of the forums, enforce forum rules with our twin goals of consistency and fairness, help us determine site policies, and work to keep the forums enjoyable and useful for all forum members and site visitors.

We're glad that these eight outstanding forum members accepted our invitation, joining the team of current moderators who have done so much for the site and its members. As volunteers, our new moderators have accepted much responsibility on your behalf. Please join me in thanking them and our other moderators for their dedication to the MacRumors community!

You can find the full list of administrators and moderators on the Forum Leaders page.

2. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How moderators are selected

We're sometimes asked how we select moderators. We'll take this opportunity to answer that question.

It's a long and careful process that starts with recommendations from the current moderators. We look for users with the right personality, interests, and instincts: those who are helpful, friendly, rational, fair, who speak honestly, who understand how the MacRumors site is run, and whose participation has consistently been a benefit to their fellow forum members, not about privilege or ego.

They don't have to have volunteered and they don't have to have paid for membership. They must have been a member long enough to understand the forum community, and an ongoing participant, but there's no fixed minimum length of membership or post count. From their involvement they tend to be fairly well-known users, although some candidates come to our attention for their behind-the-scenes efforts to help other users.

It's advantageous for us to have team members with a range of views and opinions, to keep us centered. We have no requirements that moderators share political or religious views (they don't), but they must all be able to put aside personal biases when moderating. It's a benefit when we have moderators across many time zones, both men and women, and moderators of different ages. We don't require technical expertise with Apple products. Although many moderators routinely help users with technical problems, it's not part of their assignment as a moderator, just what they were already doing. We don't require prior forum moderation experience; we provide the necessary training. Moderators must be able and willing to spend time moderating that they might otherwise have spent in normal forum participation or away from MacRumors.

The administrators provide guidance, assistance, and review to the moderators and make the final call in disputed cases.

In summary, we look for forum members who excel in many ways and are very well suited for the role we ask them to take as moderators. We're admittedly picky and the number who qualify is small. We're very pleased when those we invite decide to accept!

3. belvdr macrumors 603

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Congratulations and welcome to all new mods.

Now I can slack off a bit without feeling that guilty... :p

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Welcome and congratulations to all of you! Great choices!

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

8. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

When moderators do their job well it goes completely unnoticed. As users we only notice forum moderation when things have gone badly.

I think it's a testament to MacRumors that I rarely think about the site moderators at all. So, thanks for doing an undetectably good job at what is normally a thankless task.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

So what else is new? Kidding! :D

Congrats all you overworked grunts! Now when it's late at night, we can expect some lights to be on? :rolleyes:

Very happy with the choices Dr. Q. Cheers to a successful, fun, and informative community. :)

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Congrats guys!

And thanks old mods for recognizing that we need a few more around here.

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Awww, do I have to say it all over again? :D

But... start your engines. There's work to be done. ;)

13. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

^ Very true. I think it's the fair and calm manner in which they approach issues is key to very subtle presence in the forums (I think there's a secret moderator school they sign-up for or something :) )

Good luck guys, I hope you'll find this new challenge has it's own rewards.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Congrats guys (and possibly ladies as well)! Looks like MR was in need of US based mods as only one of them lives outside US :) Well, it's not a surprise as these forums are more or less dead when Americans are sleeping or working. When I'm sleeping, it gets very busy

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well this one has been in London for 2 months now ;)
    But hopefully that will end in about 14 days

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone
    Your support is not taken lightly and it is greatly appreciated

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Thank you all ... The express lane for spammers to get banned forms ...

|
    v
    Here ... :)

17. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Congratulations everyone! No offence to the old mods, but an increase in numbers was required.

Good luck everyone!

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Congrats everyone! I've always liked the way this joint is moderated, and this will make it even better.

19. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Congratulations guys! Many of us spend a lot of time on these forums every day. This will improve the experience so thanks in advance for your work!

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This was really called for!! MacDawg I very much appreciate you joining in. Last time, I thought you were one of the mods, it's good to see you this time.

[personal story] MacDawg was the first member to send me a hello and instruct me in the ways of the MR back when I was a newbie. I am happy to see him reach this tittle today[/story]

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thank you, everyone. :)

MacRumors has contributed immeasurably to my life over the past five years; I'm very excited and honored to have been given the opportunity to return the favor.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Tap.Tap.Tap. Is this thing on ?

clears throat

uhumm..*cough* pulls out 12 page letter

First off I'd like to thank the Gods.
    And my mom and dad. They raised me so wonderfully.

Gosh. I don't know what to say.. *cough*.

oh..This isn't the Grammys ?

nevermind :p